Why won't more people strength train?

CindyC923

Cathlete
Hi all,

Obviously most or all of us on this forum do use weights
and other resistance training BUT so many other women that
I know refuse to use weights. Even when they compliment me
on how "fit" I look and ask if I workout they still say
"I'm not doing THAT" when I mention weight training.
Yet most still complain about their soft
flabby arms or how their muscles are so weak ...etc.
They should at least be afraid of osteoporosis and losing
strength and indepencence as they age but none will even
mention these risk factors!! Such denial.

It would be fun for me to chat about strength workouts and
the results etc with friends and co workers but none of them
do it so luckily I can chat with you all.

Do any of you experience this?

They think they're going to get "bulky"!

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

That, too! Anything that takes more effort than taking a "magic pill" is out of the question.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

I don't know. I personally think every man over the age of 35, and every women over the age of 25, should weight train.

I think some women have been brainwashed into fearing getting big and "manly" if they even look at a weight. All sorts of commercials for fitness products push the fact that you'll get 'lean' rather than build beautiful muscle.

But it IS odd when they have a prime example of what weight training does standing in front of them, and they still can't get past that old misconception.

Cindy

Yes, I experience not having anyone fitness-minded to have face to face discussions. That's why I'm here, like minds. (ok, people don't be offended that I referred to you as like minds with me;-) ).

Kathryn,

Yes, that is what baffles me sometimes when I get a compliment
that I look fit or look great (always nice to hear anyway) and
still get the response that "I'm not going to to THAT". I can
tell you that I am all ears when someone body who looks great and
fit is willing to tell me what they do to achieve it.
Not to mention that the woman who works here in the same office
and has lost and gained the same 50lbs at least 4 times in the
12 years I have known her has a saying: "exercise will kill you".

I, for one, am deeply offended at Melody's remark. :p :+ Seriously, though, my Mom used to think it "wasn't for her" until her gyn told her she needed to do it, but now she just lifts light weights (I think they're like 3 and 5 lbs). I think it's just an old-fashioned idea that lifing isn't for women. So silly.

I also think it's funny that people who see the barbell in my living room assume it's my DH's.
-Nancy

Weight training is work, as we all know. It's a commitment and you have to love it.

In my experience, people would rather complain about the body parts they are unhappy with instead of doing the work to improve them. Most people want a quick fix. Like my mother, who has convinced herself that rubbing Aloe on her legs will make her cellulite disappear. She wasn't too happy to hear that the only way she's going to get rid of that is with weight training, some cardio, and a clean diet. She'd rather stick with the Aloe!!!!! It's less work and doesn't make her sweat!!

Just my .02!

Have a good day!

Melissa

Nancy, you of all people should not be offended.:p :+

I know what you mean about the barbell. People see the array of fitness equipment in our basement and say to my DH "Wow, you are really serious about working out." They never refer to me regarding the equipment. Who do they think kicks DH's butt to workout?x(

>I don't know. I personally think every man over the age of
>35, and every women over the age of 25, should weight train.
>
>I think some women have been brainwashed into fearing getting
>big and "manly" if they even look at a weight. All sorts of
>commercials for fitness products push the fact that you'll get
>'lean' rather than build beautiful muscle.
>
>But it IS odd when they have a prime example of what weight
>training does standing in front of them, and they still can't
>get past that old misconception.

I don't want my daughter to wait until 25. I have been teaching her the machines, because she seems to find that fun. She is 13.

My opinion is, it's not just strength training. It's any training that does not involve a magic pill or gadget that automatically turns you into a goddess (just from the purchase, you don't even have to use it, lol). I have had countless conversations that start out with a very hopeful-looking person whose facial expression is immediately crestfallen when I mention that the "answer" is watching what you eat and exercising regularly. People just want an easy answer, period.

And women are **obsessed** with bulking. Even on some fitness forums, there persists the myth that we can all turn into the Hulk really easily. (Oh, if only it were true, some of us think, lol.)

Marie

"And women are **obsessed** with bulking. Even on some fitness forums, there persists the myth that we can all turn into the Hulk really easily. (Oh, if only it were true, some of us think, lol.)"

"Marie"

Marie, they should use me for an ad to prove heavy lifting will not bulk a woman up. I work so hard and lift as darn heavy as I possibly can, but *sigh*, muscle growth is so slow with me.

As for the kids, my 3 youngest boys workout with DH and me all the time. We don't allow them to use weights because at their age their bones, ligaments, etc. are not ready. They do make their own weights with Tinkertoys and "pump iron".

:)

>My opinion is, it's not just strength training. It's any
>training that does not involve a magic pill or gadget that
>automatically turns you into a goddess (just from the
>purchase, you don't even have to use it, lol).

Our former secretary used to say "I'd do ANYTHING to lose weight," but her definition of "anything" was limited to 'take any pill or diet drink' and not "eat right and become more active.' She now has full-blown diabetes, and I was at a potluck where she took a huge piece of junky cake for dessert. My not-afraid-of-being blunt former department chair, a German, asked her how she could eat that with her diabetes, and her answer was "I took my pill." (kind of like getting a headache because you're hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Taking a pill to get rid of the pain, but continuing to hit yourself in the head with the hammer!).

>And women are **obsessed** with bulking. Even on some fitness
>forums, there persists the myth that we can all turn into the
>Hulk really easily. (Oh, if only it were true, some of us
>think, lol.)

I'm not aiming for She-Hulkdom, but it would be much easier if we COULD build muscle easily with teeny tiny weights used only once a week!

Melissa,

You are so right about that.
I see women with the soft flabby flapping tricep area,
poor posture with rounded mushy shoulders
which I think adds about 10 years to their age and they
giggle about it like there is nothing that can be done.
I have even heard some women tell me their flabby arms
are inherited from their mother, grandmother etc..

Me too Melody! I couldn't put size on if my life depended on it (muscle that is, I can add on fat like it's going out of style if I set my mind to it ;-) ).

It really is the "magic pill" syndrome. Have you guys seen that commercial that says "scientific studies" prove belly fat can be reduced by taking a pill? Who falls for this crap anyway?

I think some of you are being really hard on some people. Yes, their are those who complain about their weight, but don't do anything about it. But, like myself I love cardio. I would rather walk 10 miles in 90 degree weather (I live in FL) than lift wieghts.

I am slowly coming around to the world of weights, with the help of Cathe, and the unbelievable body my bestfriend has now due to Cathe's videos (and after having 2 kids less than 2 years apart and working parttime).

I will get there, but cardio is my thing.

I don't think it is just laziness or "wanting a magic pill". I think that it is much harder to work towards being fit when you never really have been and you don't know how good it can make you feel.

When I go into slumps, it is very hard for me to get back to it. I can't imagine what it is like for someone who has never been fit to start! I am motivated by the knowlege that I feel so much better when I exercise, mentally and physically, and I know that comes through in every aspect of my life.

I just don't think it is only about laziness. I used to, but not anymore. I know it can seem that way. But there is more to it, more to it mentally. I feel bad for these peoeple. I wonder what is going on with them inside that makes them feel so powerless over their own bodies and actions. Especially really heavy people. Can you imagine how hard it must be to even begin getting into shape. I mean you all talk about how depressed and hopeless you feel when you are working on THE LAST TEN POUNDS!! Put 50 or even 100+ extra pounds on you and I am sure the confidence just isn't there. You gotta get over the hump, as I am sure some of you have done. (Congrats!)

And....there is just lazy people, lol

Just a different take on it...:7

>Nancy, you of all people should not be offended.:p :+
>
>I know what you mean about the barbell. People see the array
>of fitness equipment in our basement and say to my DH "Wow,
>you are really serious about working out." They never refer
>to me regarding the equipment. Who do they think kicks DH's
>butt to workout?x(

Melody, I get the SAME THING!! Annoying isn't it? The fun part though is when DH tells them the equipment belongs to me and that I kick butt. "Flex for the people, honey" he says. :D

I think alot of women find it unfeminine to sweat and burn and get their Grrr....on. Too bad. They are missing out.

Sparrow

ETA: IMO it's so so so important to get girls into working out while young. I don't mean pumping iron themselves but let them see strong, fit adult women doing so. My 6 year old niece loves to workout with me, whether I am swimming or doing P90x and I pray that lasts. She gets a little 'tude with me because I won't let her use weights! Her favorite is Core Synergistics. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.