Why do we do it?

tslop49

Cathlete
It is leg day and as I was getting ready to descend into the "dungeon of doom" (basement), I asked myself why? For me leg day is the equivalent of hugging an angry hornets nest, so why do I do it? Why do WE do what most won't? None of my friends lift, so it can't be peer pressure. Is is narcissism? Sure, who doesn't want to look good and compliments are a real ego boost, but surely that isn't all of it. Do we want to be healthier?...sure, who doesn't? Do we want to live longer?....you bet, I do! I will be 69 is a couple of months and I had a time when I couldn't get out of a chair and had to pass jars to my staff to open them...as a guy, I SURE don't want that! I enjoy being able to do things my non lifting friends (not counting 12 oz curls or remote deadlifts) can't. Some of grew up with athletic backgrounds and that makes it easier , as an adult, to get into fitness, but many have no such background and still transition into "fitness fanatics"!
I realize I will never bench 400# and I cannot expect to make tremendous gains at my age, but I intend to make Father Time earn his keep and will try to do what I can until I CAN'T!.
Many of you prefer cardio and step workouts, others, like myself, concentrate on heavy lifting. Cathe, (and others), offer many options and some of us create our own, but regardless your vehicle and whatever your motivation, be proud for "slaying your dragons" and "SHOWING UP"!!!

Preach, Tom! Preach! Beautifully stated, my friend. I admire that fire in your belly. It motivates me.

I love my Cathe forum check-in. That keeps me going, to see other people taking care of workout business despite everything else going on in life.

I do it for my kids. I want them to see that aging doesn't have to mean sedentary living, falling down and breaking your hip. You can keep at it, keep active, and stay strong.

Not going to lie, I also enjoy the body aesthetics. But, top of my list is that feeling...that indescribable glow of "I got this!" Or "holy smokes, look what I just lifted, how high I jumped!" You can't buy that feeling. You can't fake it.

I realize I will never bench 400# and I cannot expect to make tremendous gains at my age, but I intend to make Father Time earn his keep and will try to do what I can until I CAN'T!.

Oh wow, I LOVED your post!! And I loved the above sentence especially. I finished a round of STS recently and I have never lifted heavier in my life! I am going to keep on keeping on till I can't anymore...I'm just behind you in age. You Rock!!! And thanks for the motivation!

Way to go, tslop49. Such a motivating post!

Reasons why I "do it":

1. This will sound cruel, but my parents are poster children for the "I've fallen, and I can't get up!" commercial. No, thanks. I have no interest in being that helpless.

2. I resent the idea that aging means it is time to sit in a rocking chair and pick up the knitting needles. Uh-uh, no way. As tslop49 said, I will do what I can until I can't. And, often, what you CAN do is simply a state of mind.

3. I have minor issues with anxiety and depression, and a regular exercise routine keeps me feeling close to normal

4. Aesthetics, yes....perhaps shallow, but still a motivator for me!!

You are asking what a lot of people ask me-why? Why do you run with a weighted pack? Why do you lift so much weight? Why do you do push-ups? Why do you want bigger biceps? I think there are so many reasons like a lot of what you've listed so far. I often just think it is simply who I am and who you are. We are not lazy people. We like a challenge. We like how healthy we are. We like what abilities we have.
I'm very independent with no one to do anything for me so I do all the yard work, the snow shoveling, the gardening, the dump runs, the cooking, the cleaning, and anything else I want and need to do. Staying healthy allows me to do all this and more.
Also I've had more conversations with people who are so unhappy with say, flabby triceps, no energy, too much belly, blah, blah blah. They will complain and cover up but not actually do anything about it. We do something about it!
One very personal thing for me is that fitness allows me to do something positive and accomplish something good in my life. These days the work place is very unsatisfying and a social life is non-existent. I can get home after another boring day and enjoy a hard workout with Cathe and the crew and it feels damn good!

Great post Tom! I do it because I've been doing it for so long, that it's all I know. A day without some kind of workout, is like a day without sunshine. Yes, I love my sunshine! I work with several twenty and thirty something females, that are always complaining about their flabby butt, or arms, yet are unwilling to lift a weight. They do their hours on end walking on the treadmill, and wonder why nothing changes. I'm not far behind you, Tom. Just had my 66 birthday. I know, why am I still working? I guess cause I can. Anyway, they're asking for suggestions from the "old lady," and who knows, maybe at some point they will listen. The short version, because I love it, and honestly, I don't feel 66!

It is leg day and as I was getting ready to descend into the "dungeon of doom" (basement), I asked myself why? For me leg day is the equivalent of hugging an angry hornets nest, so why do I do it? Why do WE do what most won't? None of my friends lift, so it can't be peer pressure. Is is narcissism? Sure, who doesn't want to look good and compliments are a real ego boost, but surely that isn't all of it. Do we want to be healthier?...sure, who doesn't? Do we want to live longer?....you bet, I do! I will be 69 is a couple of months and I had a time when I couldn't get out of a chair and had to pass jars to my staff to open them...as a guy, I SURE don't want that! I enjoy being able to do things my non lifting friends (not counting 12 oz curls or remote deadlifts) can't. Some of grew up with athletic backgrounds and that makes it easier , as an adult, to get into fitness, but many have no such background and still transition into "fitness fanatics"!
Many of you prefer cardio and step workouts, others, like myself, concentrate on heavy lifting. Cathe, (and others), offer many options and some of us create our own, but regardless your vehicle and whatever your motivation, be proud for "slaying your dragons" and "SHOWING UP"!!!

Wow this is exactly what I needed to read today. Before my planned workout this morning to Fit Split-Boxing BootCamp/Leg & Glutes, I asked myself why am I doing this and really did "not feel like it", it was 5:30 AM and I wanted to go back to bed. But regardless I went ahead with my workout and had so much fun. I will be 60 years old this October and like most mentioned in the posts - I want to be able to walk, run, and be as healthy and fit as possible. I want to be able to "I've fallen but I CAN get up", I want to be able to open jars, I want to be able to be as independent as possible as I get older and sometimes I surprise myself that I can DO THAT at my age. Cathe's workouts are the most fun and challening I have ever tried - I've tried other trainers but nothing compares to Cathe. So tomorrow is another workout at 5:30 AM - promise that I will be there exercising after reading all of these inspiring and motivating posts!! :)

I do it because I feel better. I choose Cathe because she makes sense. I have tried Denise Austin in the past and even though she does her workout it doesn't feel right. There isn't much fluidity to it. I tried Jillian (The Biggest Loser) and she doesn't do her workout. She does half of it! So why do a workout if even the workout instructor doesn't do it! I tried Richard Simmons, but he doesn't cue you like only 1/4 of the time. It seems like he is having a party and it is only for him. If I did it now it would be way to easy too! I graduated from Leslie Sansone! Leslie is great when you are obese (like I was) and can't do Cathe workouts! Leslie let's an obese person like me at the time do a workout that is doable, but now is too easy! I don't look for anybody else because Cathe is the best!

I stumbled upon this post while doing a search on the forums on a different topic. However, after reading a bothersome post on another fitness-site where people focused mostly on the calorie burn and fat-loss aspects as their motivation to exercise, this was very refreshing to me. I'll acknowledge that in my 20's & 30's, that part of the motivation for exercise was the calorie burn so I could eat what I wanted. But that only worked during those decades of my life, and caught up with me in my 40's. Now, I exercise for the pleasure it brings (endorphins) and health benefits, as well as the anti-aging effects. Calorie-burn isn't as critical to me as it was in my earlier decades. Just thought I'd revive the original post to bring some "feel-good" vibes to the forum.

Now, I exercise for the pleasure it brings (endorphins) and health benefits, as well as the anti-aging effects. Calorie-burn isn't as critical to me as it was in my earlier decades.
Thanks for reviving this awesome thread, Debinmi. I agree completely with your quote above - pleasure, health and anti-aging benefits (...and I agree with and can relate to ALL the great points made by the posters back in 2018). I feel I don't really have a choice - I feel so lousy if I DON'T workout. It is simply part of living a full life and I don't want to settle for less. I feel alive, vibrant and ready to take on the challenges life throws my way after an empowering workout. Cathe is simply the best. Her workouts challenge me, boosting my self-esteem and they are just plain FUN! I actually look forward to them and doing something positive for myself - for both my physical and mental health.

Great to revisit this question of 'why' and being clear on it. As both Nietzsche and Victor Frankl said, "If you know your why you can endure any how".

When I was doing Perfect Hiit the other day I thought, "How the heck is Cathe cueing and counting and remembering the sequence?"

I always gravitate towards the trainers who DO the workout WITH me.

I pick the activities and trainers who help me get stronger, feel better and move better.

No I ain't a spring chickie...but man I move dang good and wanna keep it that way!

Keep on moving folks!! Screenshot_20200902-125138.png

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.