Who else has an asparagus qarden?

janiejoey

Cathlete
It took us three years, but now all our efforts have paid off. We are getting asparagus for our meals every day so far. It should continue for another few or so weeks.

Is anyone else blessed with asparagus?

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Well, I don't have a garden but I love asparagus, I always did, and I eat them very frequently. Lucky you that you have a garden to grow them! :)

My parents had one when I was younger. My dad cultivated it for several years, but we ended up moving right when it started to really produce. We joked about returning in the middle of the night for some 'samples', but sadly, the new owners promptly mowed the whole garden down...:(

I wish I had an asparagus garden....I love it, except it does make your wee-wee stink.;) :7

OMG! I'm soooo jealous! I just tried this veggie for the very first time about a month ago and I can't get ENOUGH! I researched it, because I have a veggie garden every summer, and learned that it takes a good 3 years before it starts to produce! I'm thinking about starting it this year.

SOOO YUMMY!

Gayle

I absolutely love asparagus and have no clue how to grow them.

Wouldn't be able to start them now anyway as we are looking to place our home on the market within a years time to relocate closer to dh's job :D

We have one. This is our third year, too, but it hasn't started to really produce yet. I think it's because our weather has been goofy, with several late frosts. I'm envious. I love asparagus!

Shari

I don't have one but I LOVE asparagus! I would rather eat it fresh -but have no idea how to fix it.....can you all help?

My Dad and MIL both invested the time it takes to enjoy an asparagus garden. I remember when I was little I didn't like asparagus at all and much to my surprise it was the only veggie I wasn't forced to eat. Now I love it and 'get' why they didn't force me to eat it 'cause it meant MORE asparagus for them!! I didn't start liking it until I was in my 30's, wish someone had given me the heads up on the fact that a good feed makes most people's pee smell funny:)

Tina: I usually just boil it until it's the right colour, nice and tender then sprinkle with a bit of parmesan but last week I roasted it (a la Giada DeLaurentis). Toss it wish olive oil, salt and pepper, place it on foil in a pan and roast for 15 - 20 minutes at 425 degrees...OMG!! sooooo good:9 :9 :9

Take Care
Laurie

I don't, but I wish I did!! It's one of my fav veggies!! My dh HATES it though and his Mom used to have an asparagus garden that he would *accidentally* mow over just so he wouldn't have to eat it!! :eek:

Brings back childhood memories for me. Grandma and Grandpa had a few rows of it in their garden and we were treated to it each and every Easter when we visited.

I had a patch in a garden about 15 years ago. Hmmmm, maybe I should go there again . . . I love the beautiful fronds that appear the first couple of years while the spears are so very thin.

We are quite lucky here on the West Coast - our Costco has asparagus all but one or two months out of the year. It is a staple in my home. I like it steamed with fresh tomatos ontop with a bit of salad dressing or, similar to Laurie, we grill it with a bit of olive oil or marinated in some balsamic vinaigrette.

So glad I am eating lunch or I'd be hungry !

}(

I love just about every vegetable but for some reason asparagus and I don't mix. maybe I haven't tried the right recipe. If I could grow some brocolli though I'd be happy! or grow anything for that matter.. I don't have much of a green thumb.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.