Where To Stay In London

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
My question is for anyone who has recently been in or is familiar with London, England. I may have the opportunity to go to London for a long weekend in April and was wondering if anyone knew what part of London would be best to stay in. Also, if you have a specific hotel that you liked, that info would be helpful as well (I'm not overly worried about a budget, so there really aren't any limitations).

Thanks in advance for your reponses.
Shelbygirl

I went to college in London. Stayed there for 3 years. I was in the South Kensington area. Love, love it !!! I am a runner, so the proximity to the Kensington Garden and Hyde Park was great. And it's so near to High Street Kensington -- wonderful shopping. Plus if you want to visit museums and art galleries, it's all in the area. It's also very safe because the Kensington Palace is in that area. Oh, and you can practically get to anywhere in London as the tube stations there can connect you to almost anywhere you want to go.

Oh, how I miss London !!!

Shelbygirl,
I'm not that familiar with London, but just want to mention, having been there for over a week once, that a 4-star hotel in London is more like a 1 or 2-star hotel here in the U.S. Therefore, do not even consider anything less than the most highly rated hotels in London or you may find yourself very uncomfortable.

I'm sure others can advise you as to neighborhoods. It's a great city and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

-Nancy

Shelbygirl, I agree with the first poster on the Kensington area. My sister has visited London 3 times, and was right next to the Kensington Palace and said it was the most beautiful area.

Also, if you have time you may want to post this same question on the BBCAmerica.com website. Many people live or travel to London frequently. I am sure you would get a wealth of information.

Have a wonderful time in London!

Lori

Shelby--a long weekend is London, you lucky girl!

We went in 2000 & stayed here...

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do

"Travel Inn London County Hall
Enjoying a prime location that's just a stone's throw away from the London Eye, the Travel Inn County Hall is also handy for the Southbank and Westminster.

With a Potters restaurant and bar also on site, the hotel represents unbeatable value for a family of four visiting London. Other decent restaurants can also be found nearby, while the Eurostar terminal at Waterloo is less than 5 mins walk away.

Room services: colour TV, coffee/tea making facilities, en-suite bathroom (with bath and shower), radio alarm. On request: free cot, hair dryer, iron + non-smoking rooms Hotel services: bar, currency exchange, restaurant"

The rooms were comparable to Best Western or Days Inn. They were VERY reasonable & friendly. We were only a 5 minute walk from Waterloo Station. When they say "a stone's throw" from the London Eye that is NO EXAGERATION. It was right at the backside of the motel. Big Ben is also right around the corner of the building & across the river...a 5 minute walk.

There is also another more prestigious Hotel in the same building but I can't remember the name. Do a search for County Hall London & I'm sure it will come up.

Whichever hotel you decide, I highly recommend the location.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.