Where to stay in Cancun?

macska

Cathlete
Hello all. We are planning a family vacation to Cancun. Anybody has any suggestion where to stay? So many choices.... Thanks a lot, Mari

I can't tell you much about Cancun because we didn't like it and only stayed one night. But a quick ferry ride across from Cancun is a little island that we loved so much we stayed a week: Isla Mujeres.

It's like a tropical small town with wonderful diving opportunities and beautiful beaches. The people are friendlier there, less jaded about American tourists than they are in Cancun.

Even if you are committed to Cancun, a day trip to Isla Mujeres would be worth it. Here's a website about IM:

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/home.htm

Hi there!! A friend and I went to Cancun several years ago and stayed at the Costa Real. We had a beachside room(suite?) which was huge. We might have been upgraded, but not sure. It was all arranged through a travel agent. I was worried when it was booked because it was much cheaper than I had anticipated. The hotel turned out to be beautiful, easy to get around, and staffed with helpful people. Maybe we just got lucky, but we had a very positive experience there. ...Just saw that you said 'family vacation'. I'm not sure what they have in the way of childrens' activities (if you're planning on bringing children). That might make a difference.

Hope that helps.
Tana :)

I would look at the Palace Resorts in cancun. There are 6 different resorts, each with a different focus. I stayed in the Cancun Palace, which was BEAUTIFUL, but I don't think its the best choice for a "family" vacation.

Here is a link to their website. http://www.palaceresorts.com/ For a family I would check out Beach Palace.

Have fun!

-Leslie

I have been there twice, ( business convention) and hated it. Not a family place, more for the 20's crowd. It is so commercial that when you are on the main drag, you would think you were in LA... all the same chain restaurants etc. ( stayed at the Riu Palace, which is a great resort)

I vote for Cozumel! It's an island near Cancun. You can fly into Cancun and take a small plane over or the 30 minute ferry. Cancun is just a big busy city IMO. Cozumel is smaller and I like it a lot better. My step parents own Baldwin's Guest House which is rated number 1 accommodation in Cozumel. They are a Canadian couple and the food is incredible, just read some reviews. They also have a pool and very reasonable rates. If your interested you can see there web site here:
http://www.moosepages.com/

Valerie

I love Cancun, but you really DO need to know where to stay -- otherwise you will end up hating it like some of the other people have already stated (the drunken 20-year-old crowd).

I like the Palace Resorts chain. I've only stayed at the Sun Palace, though. It was very nice, room-wise. The beach is fantastic (as it is for all the hotels located on the "strip").

Of course, if you can afford it, the Ritz Carlton is THE BEST hotel I've stayed in (ever). The Ritz in Cancun is one of the cheapest of all the Ritz properties. The service is spectacular. The rooms are nice (with nice views). The food is $$$. So with kids, that may or may not be out of the question. You could always eat somewhere else.

I stayed at the Costa Real property some time ago and didn't care for it because of the beach. It wasn't located on the long strip of white sandy beach like a lot of the others...and I'm a beach person. If you don't care about the beach too much...then it is a fine property (and cheap).

If you are looking for a more laid-back type vacation, I would suggest Playa Del Carmen or something along the "Mayan Sun Coast". It is a bit of a drive from Cancun, but much more quiet -- less "spring-breaky". I stayed at the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen and it was fantastic. It may be a "no kids" type place though so you may want to check the age requirements.

I can't think of a better place for some sand and sun!

A couple of people mentioned Isla Mujeres and Cozumel. I visited Isla Mujeres on an excursion and it was cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to stay there. I didn't see anything that looked like a good hotel (but maybe there is now, that was several years ago). I haven't been to Cozumel (but heard the snorkeling is awesome) but was always under the impression that it was "dirtier". That could totally be off-base. I would research reviews of hotels in Cozumel before deciding on staying there.

good luck! Makes me want to plan my own trip!

Shonie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.