When to Eat?

acarolinagurl

Cathlete
Needing help with my post w/o meals:

I get all of my workouts in after work. I get started on my w/o around 6pm, and I do at least 50 to 60 min w/o's. My question is: I know I shouldn't eat past 7pm, but I don't get finished working out til 7/7:15. I've heard that I should wait an hour after my workout before I eat. Why is that? I'm already eating late, so if I were to wait an hour after my w/o, it would be 8ish.
I have tried working out in the mornings before work, I used to do that several years ago, and now I just don't have it in me to get up early enough to get in a good workout, I seem to have more energy in the afternoons than in the mornings. Any advice? Example meal: Tonight after my w/o I had Salmon, Steamed Broccolli, and a sweet potato. I don't eat anything after that meal.

Thanks in advance! :)

I'd say it's like the Pirate Code--more like "guidelines" than actual rules.;) I'm certainly no expert, but my opinion is to do what works best for you--and that sounds like eating a healthy meal after your workout.

Oh, and the salmon, broccoli & sweet potato sound absolutely delish!

I agree with Elsie.

Lately, I have been doing evening workouts and I eat directly after my workout. If it is something I have to bake that is going to take a while to cook, I will put it in the oven before my workout starts so it is finish by the time I finish working out.

The guideline I used for myself is no eating after 8pm.
Normally I am eating between 6pm and 7pm. It just depends what time I get home from work and how long my workout is.

I'm in the same boat

I start working out around 7 and end about 8. I don't want to eat before and after I workout I'm just not hungry anymore. However, since I've been on Jenny Craig I always eat after my workout and get my calories in. It's not really a whole lot of food, so I'm not stuffed.

Thanks everyone, sounds like we pretty much do the same thing. :) I have been tweaking a little here and there, it can really get confusing when trying to go by guidelines.

I appreciate the feed back! Hope you all have a great day! :)

Saundra, sometimes my hubby helps out with the cooking, while I'm working out! :) That helps so much too. Hope you have a good day!

I eat immediately after my workout. I know that a lot of endurance athletes eat something during their workouts (gels, bars, even bananas and a sandwich.) I don't think you need to wait. Your meal sounds fine, actually better than fine.

Alisha

I do my work out, shower and get dressed and then I eat. I used to eat right away but would find myself hungry again a lot sooner for some reason. Waiting until after I'm showered solves this problem for me somehow. I stay fuller longer. Sometimes I am really hungry and it can be hard to wait but I know I am better off. It's usually no more then 30 mins after I finish my work out anyway so it's not too bad...

Jenny Craig

First, let me explain that this is the type of plan that works for me. I went on JC about 6 years ago after I saw vacation pictures of myself (and I quit smoking the same year). I never got on a scale and then all of a sudden, I was overweight! So, my sister had good results on JC so I did that route too. I lost 30+ pounds and then went off it. I discovered Cathe at the same time and these forums. I learned to eat properly but I have a huge problem where if I don't know what to eat, don't have anything healthy to eat or I'm too busy, then I WON'T EAT! Next thing I know, I'm up 20 lbs. So, I love Jenny Craig. The weight falls off me. I'm down 15 pounds in 5 weeks. So, yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it to me because i get results.

I have about 10 pounds to go, more if that's the way it works out.

Now, how am I going to stop this from happening again? I'm gonna eat. I'm gonna stay on JC and go get weighed every couple of weeks. I'm gonna buy some of their food if I need to. I'm gonna be accoutable and I'm gonna not skip meals.

How about the Reasonable Diet podcast? It helped me with some of my issues. I'm not perfect yet but it does help. Thats how I got started losing the 75 pounds and now I'm going back to it to lose 50 more (hopefully, fingers crossed.)

Alisha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.