What's wrong with me? Help me gain control again.

RhiannonW

Cathlete
2 months ago I got motivated to cut down my sugar intake by eating clean - eliminating junk(brownies, cookies), replacing too much fruit and yogurt with vegetables. I did awesome for @3weeks. I felt terrific and even saw definition for the first time in my life. When I got hungry, I seemed to crave the clean foods. I looked forward to having the clean food for meals/snacks.
I fell off the wagon. Now I have no willpower to force myself to get back on track. I've lost all control of what I'm eating.
Another thing is I've been off Wellbutrin for a month. My dr. originally told me most people take Wellbutrin for 6 months. I went off on my own recognicence because I wanted to see if I needed it any longer. Is Wellbutrin a maintenance type drug instead of a "take it for a while, then stop" type drug? I could look it up on the web, but like to hear other's experiences too.

My dilemma is should I go back on Wellbutrin, or does falling off the wagon have nothing to do with the medicine?

Any words will be appreciated.

I would suspect that there is a connection. With the drug out of your system, your crutch is gone. Now, any amount of difficult tasks is that much more draining and you seem to be either finding it difficult to motivate yourself, or you are rebelling against the pain/difficulty/mental depletion that is required of you to force yourself on this no-sugar thing.

Combine with that the fact that carb foods produce happy feelings because they affect serotonin levels in the brain, and you have a receipe for a difficult few weeks.

Does that mean you should go back on the drug? Only you can say, in combination with doctor's advice. You will need to ask yourself whether it is only the no-sugars thing that is causing you difficulty or is it a more generalized difficulty dealing with things at the moment? If it is the latter, you may need the drug for a while longer.

SIx months is usually recommended as a starter length of time for taking antidepressents if the cause of the depression was a short term life event, and there are no underlying tendencies towards depression, anxiety, OCD's in your personal history. If you have suffered a trauma of some sort, and you feel ready to handle life without the crutch of the drug, this might be the right time to have come off it for you. But, give yourself some time for your body to adjust to no longer having the drug in your system, give yourself a break. Your body and internal chemical systems can only handle so much change and stress at a time. Wait a few weeks before you go back to reducing the sugar from your diet again. One thing at a time.

If however, you have anxieties, depressive episodes etc., that are more generalized, you might want to consder seeing your doctor and going back on the drug.

Again, only you can tell, only you know what else is going on in your life, so, this is just a few suggestions.

You know what they say: don't ever move house, have a new baby or start a new job within a few months of eachother, give yourself time to adapt to the changes because there's only so much stress the body and mind can take. I see this adage as applying in your case, and applying to situations other than the three listed above.

(For the record, 7 years ago I gave birth to my second child in Oct, moved from PA to MI for my husband to start a new job 6 weeks later with a child suffering gastroenteritis and a baby with laryngitis all at the same time!!!!!! Yup, we did it all wrong, didn't have any choice, and the stress went through the roof! I do not recommend it!!!!!)

Stay healthy,

CLare

Doctors have strong opinions that people who have been prescribed and taking psychotropic medications NOT stop taking them without a doctor's knowledge and guidance. In order to not have negative experiences with withdrawal, etc. people should be weaned off psychotropic medication. These medications are not like a vast majority of prescription medications that you can stop taking them abruptly. As a therapist I have seen a lot of adverse reactions from people who take on this task by themselves. What you're experiencing sounds familiar. I would suggest going back to the doctor who presribed your medication and talking with him/her about the actions you've taken and what should be done now. I strongly encourage you to involve your physician in any future steps you may consider.

While you're at it, maybe he/she can make a referral to a dietician and you can get some support around healthy eating and making it a lifestyle change.

Good Luck!
Sabine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.