What's the most cost effective way to go to/from the airport

llp

Cathlete
A question to anyone in the know:

What's cheapest way to get to and from the hotel and the airport,
cab or a shuttle service or something else? Please share, if you've got the insight.
I'll call the hotel if I have time later, but, if someone does happen to know this, please let all of Roadtrippers know here on this forum!;)

SNM: maybe you have researched this and you can let us know?:)

thanks!

I would think a shuttle would be cheaper than a taxi. I read that shuttles run around $32.00 where a taxi would be $70.00. Just make sure you are checking for the correct airport. Two airports support the Houston area, IAH (aka George Bush Intercontinental) & HOU (Houston Hobby). IAH is closer to the Woodlands than HOU.

Call the Hotel & Reserve the Shuttle

I called the Woodlands Resort and reserved the shuttle service. 800-433-2624 I scheduled it for there and back (of course, I didn't think to ask the price, but it's got to be cheaper than a taxi). You have to know all of your flight info when you call.

thx for the info Jean and Shellie. Yes the shuttle is $32 per person. You can make reservations right as you land, then it will take them 25 minutes to get there to pick you up. Or you can do it like Shellie and it will be there waiting for you(would be a good option to do this if you only have carryon and no checked luggage).

The travel guy at Woodlands said if a bunch of people leave for the airport altogether they could split the cost of a suburban (which I think he said was $85). I would do that, but, I'm not leaving until Monday!

Thanks for the details, ladies. I'm glad to know we can call for the shuttle from the airport since I'm flying standby and won't know when I arrive until I get on the plane.

Linda, we can talk when we get there -- I'm leaving Monday, too, so maybe we can work something out.

See you all soon!

ETA: FYI, I just called the resort "just to be sure" and was told I can't just call from the airport, that I need to make a reservation. He took my tentative flight information and told me to let them know if I don't make that flight. I guess it's all in who you talk to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details, ladies. I'm glad to know we can call for the shuttle from the airport since I'm flying standby and won't know when I arrive until I get on the plane.

Linda, we can talk when we get there -- I'm leaving Monday, too, so maybe we can work something out.

See you all soon!

ETA: FYI, I just called the resort "just to be sure" and was told I can't just call from the airport, that I need to make a reservation. He took my tentative flight information and told me to let them know if I don't make that flight. I guess it's all in who you talk to.

Hi Nancy:
Yes we can talk about Monday! LindaR is leaving the, too.

The guy I talked to at the Hotel said if I made the reservation and am not taking the shuttle then I have to pay. I am going to call them back and get a name. I don't want to be stuck! Yeah, I guess it is who you talk to. I will report back!

Last edited:
Hi Nancy:
Yes we can talk about Monday! LindaR is leaving the, too.

The guy I talked to at the Hotel said if I made the reservation and am not taking the shuttle then I have to pay. I am going to call them back and get a name. I don't want to be stuck! Yeah, I guess it is who you talk to. I will report back!

That would totally stink if I have to pay because I miss my flight. :(

Hi Nancy and anyone else that is intrested:

I just called the Hotel and talked to Robert. He said if I make a reservation I would be charged. That's because someone at the hotel shuttle goes out there expecting to pick me up. They like to have the customer make the reservation about a day ahead of time, and they will track the plane so that they willl know when you arrive(your flight arrival could change). I guess I forgot to ask the advanced notice needed if you cancel the reservation. I guess you have to probably give them plenty of notice so they won't plan and make the trip there -- in which case they would charge you.

I asked them if I could just call when I land, and he said "yes" but expect to wait 25 minutes. I will plan to do that, since 25 minutes isn't very long IMO! (The reason I am wavering on this is because LindaR *may* have a car, so she might pick me up, but, that's not been decided yet.) Or, if I do find out earlier from LindaR of her plans, I can still call the Hotel Shuttle from my stop over location and make the reservation a few hours early....

Hope that helps and didn't confuse anyone too much!

Happy travels everyone!

Getting back to the airport

Hey Gals,

Because I live local (15 min from the venue) I can probably help out anyone who may need a ride down to Bush Intercontinental. Depending on how many folks need a ride I can either drive my car or the Hubby's SUV. Sorry if you are flying out of Hobby, that is a LONG not so nice drive with lots of bad traffic spots.

My name is Candy Martin and I will be at the Thursday night meet & greet if you are already here. Otherwise, I will meet everyone tomorrow:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.