What weight barbell to start off with?

Janep

Hi, I'm a long standing fan of Cathe but new to this forum. I see from the photo of Cathe's new lower body circuit workout that they are using a barbell. I don't have a barbell and have never used one - I have always shied away from them and workouts where they are used for fear of hurting myself but think it's time to bite the bullet). I want to buy a barbell ready for the release of the new workouts and was wondering if anyone can recommend a weight I should start off with please? I regularly use dumbbells from 5kg (11lbs) up to 9kg (20lbs). Thank you

I don't see why you can't just use dumbbells at that low of a weight (no offense whatsoever). I bought my 100# set from WalMart years ago. I use those and the select tech dumbbells. I try to keep equipment to a minimum because I don't have much room in my house. My living room decor already includes the dumbbells and barbell with the weights.

I would just stick with the dumbbells and get a weighted vest to add more weight. I hate using a barbell. For me, I find it more uncomfortable.

I used hand weights for years too. I finally "grew up" and bought the 100# set from Walmart as well. Free shipping...can you believe that!! I had to put a piece of pipe insulation on it for padding to save my neck and shoulders! It works great. I always did fine with hand weights but wanted to follow along in the wkouts with the weights Cathe uses and was more than ready for the challenge. Don't fret if you don't have a barbell set right now but I DO recommend the 100# set when you're ready. It has different size plates so you do have options for how heavy or light you want to go.

I love my barbell! I can load up to 100kg (220lb) on it - but I've never had to ;) I find I can go heavier with a BB than with DBs - probably because I have a stronger lower body relative to my UB. I often use a BB instead of DBs. I've also just bought an EZCurl bar, and I really like how it feels. It's easier on my shoulder joints. Smaller than my BB too, so if space is an issue it may be a better option.

the Troy Lite barbell set that Cathe and crew use in her workouts is one of the best I have owned. I like the ease of changing the weights, and that the bar itself is only pounds

Hi There,

I suggest you purchase a barbell from the same manufacture as the plate you currently have at home.
This could save money. Also you need to ensure the diameter of the plate you currently have matches the new barbell.

I suggest you start with light weight and build up the confidence and conquer the fear!;)
Following form pointers is important. I also suggest you view clips on forms and pointers before embarking on new cathe's series.
You can found form pointers in Cathe's muscle Max and power hours if you have these DVDs.
Feel free to view any other form pointers from reputable and competent instructors.

Performing squat with BB bring another challenge and intensity compared to dumbbells.
You will be able to load more weight with BB. This is because the weight is quite evenly distributed
between the upper and lower body. Stabilizers come into play through out the travelling motion. There is no way
of keeping a clean range of motion without using/challenging core strength. This makes a huge difference compared to
performing a squat with dumbbell.

All the very best,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.