What to eat before the race??

buneknek

Cathlete
Im planning to eat oatmeal with chia seeds, banana, coffee & coconut water before my race. Any thing else you may want to add or that's enoug?

How long is the race? Also, don't eat anything new, anything you haven't eaten and run on before, or any combinations that you haven't eaten and run on before.

I normally just eat an english muffin with natural PB, same thing I eat every morning. If it's a longer race, maybe some oatmeal. And coffee and water.
Nan

I don't eat much at all before a race. I usually eat a banana. The coffee would make me have to pee, so I eliminate that the morning of a race. I make sure to have a good meal the night before, so the banana carries me fine that morning. Of course, I'm talking a 10K. If you're talking longer than that, then you might need more fuel.

I think everyone is different in regards to eating before a race.

For shorter races I have waffles or eggs with whole wheat toast.

For longer races like a 1/2 marathon I tend to eat more. I have a cast iron stomach and can handle it plus I'm slow so I'm out there longer and by mile 9 or 10 I am starving. My last 1/2 marathon, which was last Saturday, I had 2 mini whole wheat bagels, a banana, a couple of whole wheat chocolate chip cookies and a Clif Bar and water. It worked great for me. I wasn't hungry at all and I managed to set a PR.

Good Luck on your race.

It's probably a good idea to see what works best before the race. I tend to just eat a banana for long races and be fine. You don't want to do something you have never tried before, so during your training you have to see what works best and then do that on race day.

I eat what I normally eat for breakfest - steel cut oats with blueberries, walnuts, flax seed, a little maple syrup for sweetness and a protein shake. I also have my regular cup of coffee.

I do 5k's and, like JeanneMarie, don't eat much. I usually have the same pre-race fuel: a smoothie made with banana, chia seeds, water, sometimes with some vega pre-workout performance optimizer and/or goji berries.

Ill be running 1/2 marathon. This will be my 2nd. I agree on u guys comment not to eat anything new but I think I will add peanut butter with my banana:) yummy! Wish me luck girls! I hope I don't have to pee in the middle of the race:(

Wish me luck girls! I hope I don't have to pee in the middle of the race:(

That's always my fear too! For some reason though, my bladder usually cooperates. I think once I start running and sweating, if there is an urge to go, it just disappears. I do however, try not to drink anything beforehand that I know will make me have to go!

Good luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.