What does it mean when someone is "following" you?

aqua girl

Cathlete
Just received the alert that a particular person is following me? What does that mean? Sounds
Kind of creepy to me....

I would assume it means they can easily watch your posts. Probably they find your posts informative or your success/struggles/questions match theirs somehow (I might follow someone that has a pear shape, loves lifting heavy, builds muscle easily because that "matches" my interests/struggles etc.)

Call me old fashioned, but I think it is creepy. I know times have changed & social media is supposed to be all that, but back in the day, if someone was following you, you had better watch your back, especially if it was a dude!

I agree 112toGuru....this will be my last post......because of this....thanks to her...
Nothing to follow here......

I'm pretty sure that when some one is following you it means that they are interested in what you have to say. So whenever you post something they are alerted and can read what you posted. I follow several people, groups, etc on facebook because I enjoy reading what they have to say. I really don't think it is a stalking thing.

The concept of following someone on a forum or social media site isn't intended to be stalking or creepy, it usually means that the person likes what you are saying or doing and there are people out there who actively encourage more followers. However there are people who do find this creepy and unsettling, including me. I don't like the idea of getting an alert to say someone is following you on a forum. People shouldn't just be able to click on a button and follow you because they want to. I think you should be giving permission first. So you get an alert saying that someone is asking to follow you and then you can decide whether to accept or decline. Maybe the forum administrator can look into this as I am sure they would want people to feel comfortable posting on the forum.

I'm not completely daft, I know how it works, I was making a maybe not so humorous comment on how things have changed, but this forum used to have 1000"s of people logged in everyday, and now it's maybe 3 users 16 guests and half of those are bots. It's not the same and makes me wonder if it ever was anything. Social media is a numbers game that only matters to people who are making money from those numbers, the "people" don't have to be real if they are relegated to numbers of likes & dislikes.

Closed groups are exactly that, no one in the public sees what is going on, and the likelihood of group think is exponentially higher. I think we have all seen what happens at it's ugliest when group think goes too far, and people start imprisoning or enslaving others, ruling forums, coercing people into private places where they can be made victims. It's disgusting that the fitness community advocates this with multilevel marketing & pyramid schemes, or pure exclusivity. You're not special, no one is.

It’s possible the participation has declined due to social media; however, I am a member of the cathletes group on Facebook and I still check this forum every day. I don’t do the workout check-ins here because it seems like it’s the same people who have deeply personal conversations I wouldn’t feel comfortable intruding on. But I do look forward to suggestions, questions, and motivational comments. So please don’t stop participating!

It’s possible the participation has declined due to social media; however, I am a member of the cathletes group on Facebook and I still check this forum every day. I don’t do the workout check-ins here because it seems like it’s the same people who have deeply personal conversations I wouldn’t feel comfortable intruding on. But I do look forward to suggestions, questions, and motivational comments. So please don’t stop participating!

I'm the same. I belong to a few Facebook groups that are very very active. And check ins here, I just can't barge in and get involved in these years long relationships and feel comfortable.
Message boards all in all are not active like they were 10 years ago. Just a fact. People post on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter than message boards.

I'm pretty sure that when some one is following you it means that they are interested in what you have to say.

I agree with this above. On a positive perspective, it is quite flattering!

It can be creppy and annoyingly harassing....

Other social media have definitely taken over conventional forums. They are more intuitive and can easily be monitored. I have not disclosed much about private life on here. At least, not on the public board.
That being said, I shared with few here and I am grateful this forum is still up and running despite not posting
as often as in the past.

Let's look at the positive side folks!;);)

Last edited:
intrude! we love people at our check in! We are daily check in....

I post everyday on here pretty much - my workout at least. I love reading other's posts too. Regarding someone following me. It's true, there was a time when being followed was bad. Now, if you're not followed, it's bad. On twitter, I have one follower and it's my husband. My daughter laughed with pity.

Thanks for all your comments and thoughts...I guess I am just confused due to the
Fact that I have never received that particular "alert" before.....and on someone
That I have never posted with, etc...before...and that hasn't posted for quite sometime.
I would like to think I am an "interesting" person :).....but I know better :):)
It just freaked me out....too many other life problems to have to worry about something like this, you know?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.