Washer/Dryers

PhyllisG

Cathlete
I was going to revive the older thread but there are quite a few posts so I am starting a new one. Our repair guys just left and we need a new washer and dryer. I am not complaining as the washer is literally 30 years old and the dryer is 12. Front loaders seem more economical and he recommended the Frigidair. Claims he has one and it is great--been repairing machines for 25 years and he doesn't see too many of these needing repairs. I know I can get some help and suggestions here. What do you have and what do you love and what do you hate? Thanks for your suggestions.

I have both a Frigidaire Gallery front load washer and dryer. I bought the pair together about 8 or 9 years ago.

I love the front load washer and that it is much gentler on my clothes than my previous top load was. It has a stainless steel drum.

I was recently having trouble with my dryer eating zippers and putting strange rust colored marks on some items. It turned out that the felt seal on the front of the drum was worn causing a gap that stuff was getting caught in and getting scuffed up. For me, the really cool thing was that for about $35 I was able to get a maintenance kit from www.repairclinic.com and DH and I were able to fix this (and some other preventative stuff) ourselves. That's a feature that I love!

Also check out the laundry and or appliance forums over at Garden Web. I bet you'll find some good info there.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

I just bought a GE frontloader in May. I have mixed feelings about it. It does use less water but I don't like the fact that you have to keep it open after you use it because apparently mold can grow in it. Because our washer is in our breezeway we have it hidden behind bi-fold doors which I now can't close. Also, I have a 1 and 2 year old who have tried to climb in it. To me that is a huge safety issue. I also don't like that once it is closed and running you can't open it. Of course I knew that when I bought it but there are so many times when I want to throw something in after it has started. Finally, the cycles are a lot longer than my top loader. The "speed wash" cycle is 36 minutes. I guess overall if I had to buy one again I wouldn't.

LG Tromm washer and dryer - very nice, you do have to wipe it dry when done for the day and I leave the door open for ~ a day to inhibit the mold growth. I love the steam wash cycle for doing my wool stuff in between visits to the dry cleaner - it 'freshens' things up.

What I love is that I can fit two loads of wash in one load, use less water (even with the water plus feature on), and the dryer is done in like 20 minutes.

Oh, and I do recco that you keep it on the first floor or basement (and so do the manufacturers) because the spin cycle on the washer is very fast. I put extra bracing in between the joists on the first floor just to make sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.