Very important hair question

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi Cathletes!

So, I need to find a really good OTC product for root touch ups in between hair appointments. Here's the dealio. I started going prematurally grey in my 20's- good ol' genetics!! So far, the OTC products I've used barely cover my super stubborn grey on the top of my head. I mean-my hairstylist has to use a super high volume (is that right?) in order for the professional grade stuff to cover.

My hair grows really fast and I just can't afford to go in for professional root touch-ups every few weeks.

What products can you recommend? There is an Ulta store not too far from my home so I can go there if need be. I also don't want to screw up my full pro color jobs.

Thank you from the bottom of my roots!! :eek::p:rolleyes:

Pam

I've got you beat in the going grey department -- junior high! Thanks, Grandpa!:D

Can you talk to your hairdresser about cutting the cost in half if you go every two weeks instead of once a month? That's what I do. It was her suggestion, believe it or not. That way you're not messing where I think professionals only should tread (I'm a chicken about my hair), she's still getting the same amount of money (unless you count whether she's so busy that you would be taking the place of a full paying customer), and you can feel comfortable and confident about your hair's appearance. I do make sure I tip generously, so that helps. It can't hurt to ask.

Hi Nancy!! You win!! :eek: I get to thank my grandmother- it must have skipped a generation for both of us! That is a great idea! She is super, duper busy, but I will propose that to her. Just have to keep playing with my part to hide the grey!

Yes, be honest with your hairdresser! I was with mine, and together we picked the shade of L'Oreal Root Touchup that would be best for me based on her professional color shades that she has been using. She also knows that I colored my hair for many years before letting her take over when the grays started being resistant and didn't screw it up, so she is comfortable with my using the root touchup. I go every seven weeks and do the touch-up at 4/4 1/2 weeks. Use the product on your part, your temples and for me - where my bangs meet the rest of my hairline. 10 minutes and you are done.

I have tried the Nice and Easy root touch up as well, but it doesn't seem to last as nicely as the L'Oreal.

Hi Pam, I have been covering my gray hair since my early 20’s. Mine is also fast growing. I color it myself and usually do about every 3 weeks, and that is too long to wait. I use mascara to cover my gray hair. I just put it around my ears and my part. It does wonders for me, granted you have to reapply daily, but it takes all of 10 seconds.

Melissa

I too have had grey hair since my teens. And much to my daughter's regret, I have passed it along to her too. (I was 16 when I first started getting mine, she was thirteen). I have been coloring my hair since my twenties. I have to color every 2 weeks now so there is no way I could afford to have a hair dresser to it(although I love the idea of the 1/2 price deal). to extend my color, I use Clairol Root Touch Up around the frame of my face and the top portion of my head (part and about an inch down). I have to use at least one shade darker than my regular color to get decent coverage. For example, I use a mix of dark blonder and light brown for my full color. Than 2 weeks later I use medium brown for the root touch up. 2 weeks later, I do another root touch up and 2 weeks after that a full color again and start the cycle all over. In the summer if I wear pony tails, I have to either do a full color more ofter or just buy 2 packages of root touch up so I can do the nap of my neck area too. I haven't had much experience with the L'Oreal Root Rescue because it doesn't seem to be as readily available in store here as the Clairol for some reason.

Hope you find something that works for you. I sure wish someone would invent a supplement that would cause the loss of hair pigmentation to reverse and then we wouldn't have to worry and fuss with hair color, lol.

Jean

Hi,

My favorite DS brand is Root Rescue. It is the one with the "bingo dauber" type applicator, less messy than the one with the mini paint pan that spills all over the place! I save $$ by saving an applicator from one box, then when you buy the next one, only mixing half of the ingredients and doing just the really visable grey, like temples and part line...cuts the expense in half...making it easy to do in between profession color treatment..

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.