Versa Gripps: Janiejoey, pgeiger, morningstar, elsie3, BackpackingMom: help!

maddiesmum

Cathlete
Ladies:

I did a search on Versa Gripps and you all chimed in, in different ways, about these and also, lifting straps in general (BackpakingMom mentioned she uses heavy duty straps to help with her arthritis: which brand, type, size?).

Can I ask you please: which type do you recommend and which do you use?

On the versagripps.com website they have 3 types listed: the Pro, the Fit and the Classic.

Which to get?!?

Do they get really sweaty, do they need cleaning, do they itch, do they last forever, good purchase?

Thanks, in advance, for all your help and advice.

Clare

I know you didn't list me in the people who you searched that use Versa Gripps but I use them and have for 3 years. I love them!

I bought the Pro. I only use them for barbell deadlifts (conventional, sumo, romanian, stiff leg) and sometimes barbell rows. I have used them to deadlift over 200 pounds several times and they are still holding strong. A few times I used them for pullups because my grip seems to give out on those early but I don't do that regularly. I have never used them with dumbbells but I would think you could.

I feel gross saying this but I have never washed them. Since I only have them on for a short amount of time (less than 10 minutes), I guess I feel they don't get that dirty. I also wear lifting gloves so those probably soak up any sweat before they can get to the gripps. If I did feel they were dirtly, not sure I would put them in the washer but instead would just wipe them down with a cloth.

I feel this was one of the best purchases I made. I really struggled over buying them because they were $50 but I would say I got my money's worth and should something happen to them I would replace them. HTH!

I just purchased a pair about two weeks ago because I'm doing STS and I love them so far! I bought the Pro (they were the same price as the others on Amazon the day that I bought them so I figured why not). Haven't had them long enough to really comment on cleaning them, but the straps themselves are made out of a smooth material that I think would be easy to wipe down. From everything I've read, they can last a really really long time. I wear lifting gloves under mine so I haven't really had any issues with sweaty hands.

Julie and Sarbear:

you may no have been on my list of names, but thank you so much for chiming in. All commentary most welcome!

Pro is the winner so far.....

Clare.

Ladies:

I did a search on Versa Gripps and you all chimed in, in different ways, about these and also, lifting straps in general (BackpakingMom mentioned she uses heavy duty straps to help with her arthritis: which brand, type, size?).

Can I ask you please: which type do you recommend and which do you use?

On the versagripps.com website they have 3 types listed: the Pro, the Fit and the Classic.

Which to get?!?

Do they get really sweaty, do they need cleaning, do they itch, do they last forever, good purchase?

Thanks, in advance, for all your help and advice.

Clare

I'm not on your list (probably cos I don't use Versa Gripps!) but just wanted to throw another recommendation into the ring - I use Haulin Hooks and absolutely love them - my fabulous DH got me two pairs for Christmas (aawww!). Not sure why you want to use straps but I have arthritis in my hands and have been extremely frustrated at not being able to lift as heavy as I know I can as my hand grip gives out due to the arthritis. I looked at various strap options as well as Versa Gripps but settled on the Haulin Hooks as they have a strap as well so you can use the strap only if you don't like the hooks. I'm now looking forward to another round of STS using them. And to think my doctor told me my lifting days were over!! (And no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them - am just a newly converted fan.) Here's a link that explains more about them if that helps:-

http://www.lpgmuscle.com/shop/haulin-hooks-womens/.

(eta: link and additional info)

Last edited:
mjd:

your contribution helps me more than you can know, I am so grateful! I have also just been diagnosed with arthritis in my hands and was thinking of putting my unused STS program for sale on Ebay, thought my lifting days were over too. If I can keep lifting with the aid of the gripps or hooks, I will be ecstatically happy: despite the trouble with my hands, the rest of the body needs weight training!!!

You have given me hope. Seriously. I have been so upset and lost since getting this diagnosis, not knowing how to manage this at all.

Thank you so much!

Questions:
1. Do you use your hooks with dumbbells in addition to the barbell? Are they versatile? Just seen the website: looks like they work well with dumbbells to.

2. Next question: why did your husband get you 2 pairs? Should I get 2 pairs for some reason? Do I need 2? What a nice guy: he listens to you and he gets you. That's worth a billion bucks......

Clare

Last edited:
Clare - very sorry to hear about the arthritis. I hope you are able to manage the condition as well as is possible, and that it doesn't prevent you doing all that you do. Take care xx

mjd:

your contribution helps me more than you can know, I am so grateful! I have also just been diagnosed with arthritis in my hands and was thinking of putting my unused STS program for sale on Ebay, thought my lifting days were over too. If I can keep lifting with the aid of the gripps or hooks, I will be ecstatically happy: despite the trouble with my hands, the rest of the body needs weight training!!!

You have given me hope. Seriously. I have been so upset and lost since getting this diagnosis, not knowing how to manage this at all.

Thank you so much!

Questions:
1. Do you use your hooks with dumbbells in addition to the barbell? Are they versatile? Just seen the website: looks like they work well with dumbbells to.

2. Next question: why did your husband get you 2 pairs? Should I get 2 pairs for some reason? Do I need 2? What a nice guy: he listens to you and he gets you. That's worth a billion bucks......

Clare

Clare, I hear ya! It's been so long since I'd done any "heavy" (as in heavy-for-me) strength training and I was also considering selling all my strength equipment, including my beloved STS due to my arthritis. However, I was determined to find a way and good ol' google brought me to the Haulin Hooks. TBH, I've only started using them quite recently but am so happy to be lifting again. To answer your questions, (1) yes I use them with dumbbells as well as the barbell, although you should be aware they may not fit around dumbbells with a wide-ish grip like some neoprene or vinyl covered ones. I use the adjustable dumbbell bars (like mini barbells) and they fit perfectly. As far as versatility goes, they are perfect for any pulling type of exercise, however I'm yet to work out a way to use them for pushing moves (chest presses etc); am hoping the straps will be useful for those but as yet haven't tried - as I said, early days. I just keep the hooks on and move them out of the way for moves where I don't use them. Pushing moves aren't as much of an issue for me as pulling moves however. I use them over my lifting gloves for extra padding around my wrists and they fit fine. They are very well made and the padding around the wrists is super cushion-y (is that a word?) so they are very comfortable. (2) No you definitely do not need two pairs! DH bought me two pairs as he thought I might like a back-up pair just in case one pair breaks, needs washing or whatever. That's DH - he's a back-up man!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Yup, I'm so thankful for all the contributions made. Gave me back my hope. I have ordered the hooks mjd recommended, and I can work with them just as soon as I get back from the visit to the UK which I now have to take. So, I'll report back in a month or so and let people know what i think of them, in case someone else needs this solution.

Cathletes are a wonderful community of ladies helping each other: thank you all.

Clare

Yup, I'm so thankful for all the contributions made. Gave me back my hope. I have ordered the hooks mjd recommended, and I can work with them just as soon as I get back from the visit to the UK which I now have to take. So, I'll report back in a month or so and let people know what i think of them, in case someone else needs this solution.

Cathletes are a wonderful community of ladies helping each other: thank you all.

Clare

Clare - Looking forward to your review! Thanks in advance!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.