Veins in arms blue?

sophiem

Cathlete
This is a weird question, but you guys are the only ones that would know this stuff. I've always wanted that vein pop in my biceps and I've noticed that my veins in my biceps/shoulder area are more noticable, they are not popping yet, but they seem right under the surface and blueish more than ever. Does anyone know if this is a result of me getting closer to the pop? I'll be bummed if it's just because my skin is getting thinner with age.

I have no popping veins (and don't want them!), but they are blue! (I sometimes try to figure out just what 'map' has been patterned on my pale, thin-skinned body).

Veins carry blue blood because the blood is non-oxgenated blood that goes back to the heart to be replenished. Arteries carry red blood because it is once again oxygenated blood that is carried away from the heart to the rest of the body...
When blood is blue that means it has no oxygen (That is why we bleed red because the moment it is out of the skin, oxygen from the outside hits it making it red again...)
jen

And royalty were often called 'blue bloods' because, like yours truely, they were often fair skinned. (Not that I'm royalty, but I do like to think of myself as Queen of the world from time to time!)

Wanted to politely comment that these statements are untrue.
Oxygenated blood is bright red and non-oxygenated blood is a dull red color. I remember the "blue blood" misconception back when I was in grade school.
Donna

Good Morning,

I'll look on the website for ya.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Thanks Shelly,

I have too many things on my plate this morning.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

I couldn't get the link to work. Here's what I found:

The blood going out to your body in the arteries is full of oxygen, which makes the blood bright red. But the blood coming back from your body in the veins is darker - sort of a purplish color - because your body parts have used up the oxygen in the blood. That's why veins look purple or blue.

Michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.