Vacuum Rec.

LisaMarie

Cathlete
Vacuuming is a workout, right? :)
I really need a new vacuum---anyone have a suggestion? I'd like to keep the price under $200, and I don't have pets.

Any ideas?

TIA!
Lisa

i know you said you would like to keep the price to 200, and my suggestion is certainly above that, but...it's the best vacuum EVER! i have a dyson (the one made for pets). it is very expensive, though. although, if it stops working, you can return it any time to get it fixed or replaced. the "regular" dyson works just as well and is a bit cheaper. i used my friends and it really was the same as mine. especially if you don't have pets. maybe you can find it on ebay or something?

Dyson all the way, baby!!! I've had my Dyson Animal for almost 6 years and it is still going strong. It was well worth the $500. Like Lorie said, if you don't have pets, you can get one of the less expensive models - they work just as well. :)

I love my animal dyson too! I have pets and was going through bags almost every two weeks. Once I got my Dyson I was vacuuming daily and this sucker was getting full everytime I was shocked how much my old vacuum missed. Also I like the feeling of seeing what I sucked up. Also the beater brushes are very easy to remove and clean. I was a cannister vacuum lover for many years but this uprate kicks butt and is way easier to store and keep clean.

But I find that I must rinse out the cyclones regularly to avoid stinkiness from my vaccum. Anyone else have this problem? Once rinsed and dried the air is way fresher and the house actually smells nice without the use of air freshners.

Since buying my animal I have seen lots of clones on the market that sound similar to the Dyson for half the price. But I have heard Dyson customer service is very good and worth the extra $$.

HSN has some great deals on Dyson vacuums right now. http://home-solutions.hsn.com/dyson-home-appliances_c-hw0001_a-2699_xc.aspx?kw=dysonanimalvacuum&sourceid=googbg&prev=hp!sf&rdr=1&cm_mmc=Paid%20Search%20Brand-_-Google-_-Home-_-dyson%20animal%20vacuum

I, myself, am not a Dyson vacuum owner. I have an awesome canister vacuum that I can NOT live without (the brand escapes me right now...I'm at work so I'll have to check and see when I get home). I love the ability to use multiple pieces for a cansister such as the floor or carpet or rug accesories. I was really put off of upright vacuums when I tried the Oreck years ago. It couldn't get the area between the floor and the bottom of the cabinets (it was too big) and it couldn't pick up anything on floors--it really only worked on carpet. I love being able to switch floor pieces with a canister vacuum.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Another vote for Dyson!! :)

It is simply THE best vacuume! The commercials are not lying!! LOL .. it does just as well on barefloors as it does carpets .. it is more expensive but WAAAAAAY worth the money!!:7

i totally agree! i use ot for my floors and my carpets. the thing that amazes me is how much it picks up every time. even if i've just vacuumed the day before! even the attachments are great!

Absolutely a Dyson. Yes it's definitely pricey but you won't believe what that thing can pull up. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond and they let me use their 20% off coupon!

cristina

ah, yes, the Dyson. Thank you all for your recs..unfortunately I truly cannot justify that price right now (just lost my job). Maybe I'll see if I can fix my current vacuum (it sounds awful!!) and hold out for a Dyson when I find a new job.

happy cleaning!

lisa

I looked up vacuums in my Consumer Reports (March 2007). Their "best buy" picks are Kenmore Progressive ($300) and Eureka Boss Smart Vac ($150). I have the Eureka and I love it, does an excellent job. I looked at the Dyson's, but CR didn't rate them very highly and I just couldn't justify that price for a vacuum (something that I don't even enjoy doing). Hope this helps!

Lori

Lisa --

Buy an Oreck!!

I, like you, didn't want to spend too much on a vacuum - so when my old one broke I went to Walmart/Home Depot all those stores and checked out all the prices. I bought a middle of the road Eureka - after 3 months it broke. Back to the store for another vaccum, spent another $150 - the belt broke twice and if finally burned out. I was so mad that I spent so much on TWO and was left with nothing in a years time.

So, I went on-line and found the closest Oreck store. They were awesome and didn't try to get me to purchase something over my price limit. I bought the cheapest one they had -- and I LOVE IT!!!

If it breaks - I bring it back to the store and they will fix it. While at the store, numerous customers came in and went while I was purchasing it, they all RAVED on their Orecks.

Hope this helps!
Michelle
P.S. When I bought mine it came with two free gifts. A portable canister vacuum for your car and a cordless iron. Can't beat that!!

that's funny because i had an oreck before my dyson and don't think there's any comparison. the dyson is much better (but it is heavier). i also didn't like that the oreck didn't have any attachments, so if i wanted to clean the stairs, i had to use a separate machine. JMO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.