Unusual sensation in my arm 3 days after having blood drawn

Christine Marie

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can offer me some insight regarding this weird tingly tight feeling in my arm...

I had a routine blood test on Monday. When the phlebotomist went into my arm, she jabbed around looking for the vein (which she said had rolled away from the needle) and I got a sudden jolt! It felt as if she had gone through the vein! :confused: Its not unusual for them to have trouble with my veins rolling, but I had never felt such a jolt before!

I was expecting a huge bruise the next day as has happened in the past, but nothing! So apparently she didn't go through the vein which is good. BUT last night I started to do Bootcamp with Cathe and as soon as I swung my arm overhead for jumping jacks, I felt another jolt. It stopped me in my tracks! It was like electricity went through my arm, stemming from the injection site!!

After pausing the dvd for a moment to regain my composure, I was able to complete the workout but I was afraid (and uncomfortable) to swing my arm overhead again so I did hands-on-hips jumping jacks! :eek: Somehow though, the military presses didn't bother me. It seems as if only the fast swinging motion overhead triggered the electric sensation.

There is still discomfort and a dull tightness in the area, and I'm still afraid to swing my arms up for jumping jacks!! Anyone have any ideas what could be going on in my arm?? And what I could do to relieve the discomfort (and fear!)?

This is such a diverse and knowledgeable group, so I just know someone out there has an explanation and a solution. :D

Thanks so much!!
~Christine

Hey Christine,

It sounds like she may have hit a nerve in your arm. That happened to me several years ago when I was having blood drawn. I definitely remember the jolt, it felt like I was being electrocuted. The sensation should go away after several day, maybe a week. If not check with your doctor just to make sure it's nothing more serious.

Thank you for your response Carolyn. Nothing like that has ever happened of all the times I've had my blood drawn. So weird! I was also thinking it could've been related to hitting a nerve... I'm glad to hear you say it should go away within a week. I was seriously considering going back to the doctor for her to check it out! I'll wait to see if it goes away on its own.
Thanks again!!

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can offer me some insight regarding this weird tingly tight feeling in my arm...

I had a routine blood test on Monday. When the phlebotomist went into my arm, she jabbed around looking for the vein (which she said had rolled away from the needle) and I got a sudden jolt! It felt as if she had gone through the vein! :confused: Its not unusual for them to have trouble with my veins rolling, but I had never felt such a jolt before!

I was expecting a huge bruise the next day as has happened in the past, but nothing! So apparently she didn't go through the vein which is good. BUT last night I started to do Bootcamp with Cathe and as soon as I swung my arm overhead for jumping jacks, I felt another jolt. It stopped me in my tracks! It was like electricity went through my arm, stemming from the injection site!!

After pausing the dvd for a moment to regain my composure, I was able to complete the workout but I was afraid (and uncomfortable) to swing my arm overhead again so I did hands-on-hips jumping jacks! :eek: Somehow though, the military presses didn't bother me. It seems as if only the fast swinging motion overhead triggered the electric sensation.

There is still discomfort and a dull tightness in the area, and I'm still afraid to swing my arms up for jumping jacks!! Anyone have any ideas what could be going on in my arm?? And what I could do to relieve the discomfort (and fear!)?

This is such a diverse and knowledgeable group, so I just know someone out there has an explanation and a solution. :D

Thanks so much!!
~Christine
Hi , I am suffering from the same thing right now! I know it's been many years ago ,but do you remember how long did it take to go away and did you do something to heal faster?!?
Thank you!

You are not the first person I've heard complain about this. Anytime they have to "feel around" for a vein is red flags and I know of many who complain that a nerve was hit. I would take that complaint to the place you had it done and never let that particular person do it again. They should not be aiming for the vein that has a tendency to roll (I once had someone do the wrong one although I should him specifically which one to use and for me he did poke through causing very painful internal bleeding). It'll take time for that nerve to heal. Best wishes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.