Umbilical Hernia Recovery?

Jennifit

Cathlete
Hi!
I had hernia surgery on Friday and wondered if anyone else have had this surgery. I have had it one time before, but cannot remember the recovery time. I am already loosing my mind and it is day three. I see my surgeon on Thursday, so absolutely nothing until then. Just wondered if I could get any words of wisdom!! Thanks

jen

My husband had this surgery in March. He was moving around pretty good after about five days (able to go to the grocery store and such). He was back to work in 10 days, though he admits he could have probably gone back to work a couple of days earlier than he did (he was given 10 days off, though, so he took it!). He was travelling again (he travels alot with his job) in less than a month.

Hope that helps. Just take it easy right now and as long as you listen to your body and don't try to do too much too quickly, you should start feeling better soon. Take care!!

I have had a couple of abdominal surgeries in the past two years, and it seems that after 2 weeks you can lift 5-10 lbs and back to full activity after 6 weeks. It seems interminable while you are waiting, but once the time has passed you will barely remember it. Can you take this as a time to treat your body nicely and maybe go for some nature walks or another gentle activity?

Shayne

Thank you Both for your help!
Shayne...it DOES seem like an eternity already!!! I am a fitness instructor and I actually am missing my job already!?! I am trying to find my peace - I am going to try your idea next week and explore our beautiful parks around here. Thank you!

I'm a fitness instructor and PT also and I have been very sick for 2 years involving 2 MAJOR abdominal surgeries. I have nerve damage in my abs from the surgeries and can hardly do anything. I went from teaching everything including pilates to being proud if I can get out of bed and bathe myself all in one day.

I know the longing for your job. Last year one of the times I was in the hospital, I had been there for a couple of weeks and was so heartsick to be so incapacitated, and no one could understand. I was practicing my choreography in my head with tears streaming down my face I was so sad. Of course that was the moment that my doctor chose to visit me for the day.

No one who doesn't have fitness and movement as part of there life will ever understand how it can shake you to the core to no longer be as strong as you have always believed yourself to be. Enjoy the break. Instructors often work too hard and a break could be very beneficial for you.

Shayne

Hi Jen,

I think I have an abdominal hernia. It only hurts once in a while after a large meal. Also sometimes there is a bump above my belly button after eating. When do you know if you need surgery? I was going to wait until it really starts to hurt.

I haven't brought it up to the Dr. because it only happens every few months.

Thanks,

Hi Jen,

I think I have an abdominal hernia. It only hurts once in a while after a large meal. Also sometimes there is a bump above my belly button after eating. When do you know if you need surgery? I was going to wait until it really starts to hurt.

I haven't brought it up to the Dr. because it only happens every few months.

Thanks,

Debbie,

My was starting to interfere with my workouts...It was causing me pain. My sister, on the other hand, has a "bad" hernia and it doesn't affect her at all...her doctor said she never needs surgery if she doesn't want it. So, it is a personal preference unless it is causing you pain. Next time you are at your family doc, ask them if you need to see someone.

Hi Jen,

I'm bumping this up because I went to my Dr. today for something else but had him look at my ab hernia while I was there. He said I should get surgery on my time before it becomes and emergency and I end up in the ER.

He gave me the name of a surgeon and said it's minor surgery and I would be in an out. So of course I was thrilled until I asked him about exercising and the big BUT came in:(

Anything you could tell me from your expereince would be great.

Thanks,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.