twins, exercise and pregnancy

J

jwbean

I just found out I'm having twins, about 7 weeks pregnant. I am very curious to know what special considerations I should take with exercise when I am used to doing higher impact step,kickboxing and weight training 5 times a week. What modifications should I make, still do abs and high impact? Can you recommend any good books on twins during pregnancy? Thank you.

Congratulations!!

Wow - what exciting news! My second pregnancy was twins - they are great! I can't give you any advice on exercise - I didn't exercise at all when I was pregnant. Have you talked with your doctor about it? Do you have other children? There are lots of good books on twins, but I can't think of any titles right now - I would suggest going to your library - they should have lots of books to choose from. Best wishes!!
Erica

Oh My!!

How exciting. I don't have answers to your questions, but being a twin myself, I just wanted to congratulate you!!! I think it is wonderful that you feel up to exercising. When I was pregnant with both of my children, I was deathly sick, morning, noon & night for 9 months!! I just want to say "Count Your Blessings!!" I know that you can exercise thru your pregnancy, but will have to make modifications. Maybe someone who has "just been there" can help you. Again--CONGRATS!!!
happy.gif

Exercising with a twin pregnancy

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-00 AT 06:23PM (EST)</font></center>

Congratulations! What fun. You will have to keep us posted on the forum as to how "you three" are doing!

First, although these books are not specific to exercising with twins, I would definitely purchase "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by Dr. James Clapp III and "Essential Exercises For The Childbearing Year" by Elizabeth Noble. They can be purchased in any bookstore or online. I have found the best online price at buy.com for the both of them. These should be your "bibles."

All of the information presented on our forum regarding modifications, ab work, etc. would apply to a twin pregnancy as well. I am going to list some of my favorite posts regarding your questions that have been addressed on our forum. There is a wealth of information here and I would suggest just starting from the beginning and reading. We have amassed quite a collection of information since starting last summer. Happy reading!

For your kickboxing modifications, please see the post to Mandy Lee first dated 1/22/00. This can be found on Page 1.

Other posts:

1 "Weight Training" (by aivilo) July 21, 1999 on Page 6.

2. "Body Pump" (by Acp22) on 12/21/99 on Page 2.

3. "7 Weeks and Miserable" (by SWhitney) on 12/21/99. See the post on "Heavy Lifting" posted to this thread on 10/4/99. Page 2

4. "Step Aerobics" (by Joyce619) last posted on 7/23/99 on Page 6. See Laura Harper's answer.

5. This is very a very important post that applies to EVERY pregnant exerciser: "Kegels" last posted on 8/23/99 by Joyce619. Page 5.

Hope these posts help with your questions. Please feel free to post again with future questions.

Good luck and have a good time reading!

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.