Trying to Fit Yoga in for Thurs Nov 30

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

Geez - maybe I should post wild pics on this thread more often. We seemed to attract some newcomers with yesterdays thread!! I was afraid all of Josh's tattoos would scare everyone. I have to admit that I like them though!! LOL.

This morning I again woke up and thought it was the weekend! When I got up I didn't feel like working out and I didn't have any cardio picked out. Nothing appealed to me! So not like me. I decided to do TurboJam Cardio Party 3 cuz it usually is fun....and it was fun. I wore my weighted gloves (not sure if that was a good move considering my shoulder pain). I burned 349 calories. It was hard to take my HR with the gloves on so the count might be slightly off today.

My boss has a big meeting with HR today. She thinks she is getting fired. I hope not because Secretaries are going to start to bump due to job eliminations and I have no Seniority. Not as likely to get bumped out of my job if my boss is still in charge....cuz of her reputation.

Yve - I always get nervous when people order DVDs that I've recommended. I hope the Rainbeau Mars - 2 Unknowns you speak of are Dusk/Dawn Yoga for Beauty....cuz those are my faves of hers. They are not particulary difficult or strenuous but feel good. I love the music on those also. I'm also THRILLED you bought Eion's PY4H. You will love it - I'm sure of it. Almost everyone who tries it does. He does say some "off the wall" stuff...but I tend to like odd people (I mean look at the concert I went to..he..he). PY4H is a bit more strenuous than Rainbeau but still very doable. I think the Yoga Radiance one you bought is the one I have....but I mostly just do the Lunar segment on it which is excellent. I don't really care for the music on it....but now that I bought my 2 CDs to listen to for Yoga...maybe I'll have to try more of it. Let me know when they arrive.

Hi to everyone else.

I'll try to check in from work today, but I don't know what she's going to be like today - so I might not be able to.

Have great workouts.

Hi All!

I am planning a 20 treadmill run this morning. I have an early morning hair appointment and then I have to work 11-7. My next planned Yoga day will be Sat & Sun.

Lora: I hope everything works out at work for you.

Hello to all that follow...

Tammy - I meant to mention to you that my piriformis spasms on the right and causes sciatica on my right side. This is a very common irritant of sciatica. I notice if I get the spasm out of my piriformis, the sciatica gets better. I guess my piriformis spasms mostly from higher impact cardio...i.e., plyo, as I started having really bady problems when I try to run on the treadmill, use the bike or do Plyo X or other DVDs with lots of plyo.

When I mention Shiva's Fluid Power, please be aware that I have really only used certain segments on the DVD so I'm not saying I love the entire DVD. I looked at the insert and chose all of the hip opening segments for a full practice. I usually do Mandala Namaskar 1, Mandala Namaskar II, Backbending Vinyasa (has some excellent hamstring stretches in it), Forward Bending and Twisting and Savasana and it comes to about 60". Please be aware that since this is slightly different than traditional yoga, there is a bit of a learning curve with the Namaskar segments especially. I was able to get most of it after a few tries.

If I only could get 2 DVDS for my problems - I'd get Fluid Power and Eion's Power Yoga 4 Happiness (cuz of the Magically Hips premix on it). Next in line would be Rainbeau's Dusk DVD and Altar of the Heart. Just thought I'd add that in case you can only pick a couple.

Well, I best go get ready for work.

ETA: My next planned yoga day is Sat & Sun too!! Maybe if I can - I'll squeeze some Kundalini in tonight. We'll see.

I am thinking of doing a just yoga day. Got some good DOMS. Not sure yet though.

Tammy- isn't Lora great with her yoga knowledge? She is really the one who got me started looking into it more. I second Rainbeau for sure.

Lora- good luck at work. Hopefullly her meeting is really long LOL!

Yve- wow!! I guess you will have a nice yoga library soon!

Jen- hope yo ugot some rest last night

Karin- how did you hurt your knee, if you don't mind me asking. I will be sure not to purchase that yoga DVD that was so dreadful!

Julie- what are you up to today? I love how you sign off with Namaste!

August- have you done Journey through the Chakras yet? (Ravi's)
That is one I received from Lora, and am anxious to try out.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Megadoo - you give me way too much credit. I don't have "that much" knowledge, I'm just passionate about it and y'all know how I am when I'm passionate about something.

Just found out the boss's meeting isn't till 3 pm. Great....she'll be a bear all day!!

Tammy -I like the little dude on the treadmill.

What's lovely August up to in Toyko today?? When will your Kundalini arrive??

Hi all. Feeling much better today but giving the old bod one more rest day. At work however since duty calls! Must recommend that oscillocollicum remedy from Boiron for getting rid of flu symptoms. Amazing stuff. Will return to exercise tomorrow. Hoping to do entire PY4H routine.

Megadoo, must ask - are you really a firefighter? Wow!!! And a gardener! Gardening is my other form of yoga. Glad you appreciate my sign off.

Lora please continue to post the fabulous pictures. Shows others that thoseof us who practice yoga don't just meditate and eat granola. We dance, we rock, we party. We eat donuts! (is there really life without the occasional Dunkin Munchin?) Good luck with the work thing. I so totally relate.

Namaste all.

Julie

Hi, guys!

I had a long day out and now it's 2am. It's fun coming home and reading up on all you guys.

I still only have Navel Power (the one Ravi and Ana gave me since I ordered all the rest of their DVDs through Amazon). I guess my Chakras will come sometime at the end of this year....HOPEFULLY! Jeez, I shudder to think they won't arrive by the end of December at least.

All right, I'm off to bed.

Night night!

Hi all!

Thank you for the warm welcome yesterday. I've been kind of thinking about adding a little yoga into my regimen but I haven't yet. I might join your check in once I get a yoga DVD or 2.

Lora, thanks for your recommendations. It must've taken a long time for you to type all that up and I really appreciate it--it's extremely handy!

August, I might look into the Rainbeau Mars DVD's you mentioned. Is there some place where you can view a video clip of her workouts? The clips on her website aren't very good.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll be checking back as soon as I have something to share about yoga.

Michelle - I'm a fast typist.......that's why I'm always so lengthy!! I swear I drive them crazy over at the Hardcore thread (my other check in), but they're used to me by now.

I don't know where to view clips of Rainbeau. I just read the reviews on Amazon and purchased them. CD Universe may even have less expensive prices. I like CD Universe. They take Paypal also.

>Tammy - I meant to mention to you that my piriformis spasms
>on the right and causes sciatica on my right side. This is a
>very common irritant of sciatica. I notice if I get the spasm
>out of my piriformis, the sciatica gets better. I guess my
>piriformis spasms mostly from higher impact cardio...i.e.,
>plyo, as I started having really bady problems when I try to
>run on the treadmill, use the bike or do Plyo X or other DVDs
>with lots of plyo.
>
>When I mention Shiva's Fluid Power, please be aware that I
>have really only used certain segments on the DVD so I'm not
>saying I love the entire DVD. I looked at the insert and chose
>all of the hip opening segments for a full practice. I usually
>do Mandala Namaskar 1, Mandala Namaskar II, Backbending
>Vinyasa (has some excellent hamstring stretches in it),
>Forward Bending and Twisting and Savasana and it comes to
>about 60". Please be aware that since this is slightly
>different than traditional yoga, there is a bit of a learning
>curve with the Namaskar segments especially. I was able to get
>most of it after a few tries.
>
>If I only could get 2 DVDS for my problems - I'd get Fluid
>Power and Eion's Power Yoga 4 Happiness (cuz of the Magically
>Hips premix on it). Next in line would be Rainbeau's Dusk DVD
>and Altar of the Heart. Just thought I'd add that in case you
>can only pick a couple.
>
>Well, I best go get ready for work.
>
>
>ETA: My next planned yoga day is Sat & Sun too!! Maybe if I
>can - I'll squeeze some Kundalini in tonight. We'll see.

LORA: WOW! It sounds as if we have the same piriformis/sciatica problem. It is driving me nuts! I just can't seem to overcome the tightness/pain on my right side. Fluid Power and Power Yoga 4 Happiness will definitely be my first purcases. I have to wait for pay day though:-(

Meg: Yes, it is great to have Lora to answer all of our questions.

Michele: Hey girl! We'll be starting out on our yoga journey together.

Julie: I'm glad you are feeling better and it is great that you are listening to your body and taking a rest day.

August: Sleep Tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!

x( No bed bugs and no sleep tighting! I knew I shouldn't have had that cup of coffee after dinner. I love coffee, but never, never drink it. For a reason.

Michele - Unfortunately, the Rainbeau ones I have were practically the only ones I couldn't find samples of......but recently when I went to her website (I think it's rainbeaumars.com), she did have some samples of Dawn and Dusk (I don't have those yet). It looks quite (stylistically) different from the 4 I have, but at least you can get a feel for her.

Now if I can just get a feel of my sleep pattern. It's past 4am now. :-(

Hello ladies!

Lora – thanks for the list of your favorite yoga workouts. It is very helpful. I am still not sure what I am going to get yet. I am trying to be good and ask for some for Christmas instead of going and buying them now. Hopefully I will be distracted enough that I won’t purchase anything for me in the next couple of weeks. I hope everything turns out okay with the work situation. About Adrienne’s Power Yoga for Athletes, I am sorry but I don’t really know the answer to your questions about having a lot of twists, turns, and hip openers. This is literally my first yoga DVD and I don’t even know what a hip opener is. I will look at the menu tonight and see if it has specific exercises. Also, if you want to borrow it for a couple of weeks, just let me know.

Tammy – How was your run? Do you use CC or itrain?

Megadoo – Congrats on the DOMs. Did you decide to stick with the plan of just yoga today? Thanks for asking about my knee. I re-injured myself (previous injury was 10 years ago) doing a step workout. To make a long story short, my knee cap isn’t sitting in the groove correctly and it is scraping away at cartilage. At first the cartilage pieces got stuck in between my two leg bones and I couldn’t straighten my leg. Now the have dislodged and just floating around. I am trying to strengthen my VMO muscle (inner part of leg near knee) right now with PT. I am going back to the ortho doc on 12/15. I think he is going to scope my knee because I still don’t have full mobility and it just plain hurts a lot. I am done with this and getting impatient! That is cool that you are a firefighter. My brother and dad are both volunteer firefighters. I admire you guys so much.

August – I am glad to hear that you found the RY workout not so great (in the beginning) too. Yuck! There are way too many other instructors out there for me to waste anymore time on him.

Julie – what is PY4H?

Jen – if you have a chance would you mind reviewing Yoga Sculpt?

Yve – wow, your amazon order looks great. I can’t wait to hear how you like all workouts.

Last night I did icycle 8 40 min on the stationary bike and my PT exercises. Nothing too exciting. Tonight is probably going to be an iclimb on the elliptical and more PT exercises. I am hoping to do some more yoga Friday and Sunday.

Karin

Karin: I use the cardio coaches....LOVE them! I couldn't run on the treadmill without them. PY4H stands for Power Yoga 4 Happiness (Eion Finn).

Hi all! I am posting earlier than usual tonight because I am on the fence about working out. I read the "Does anyone get the exercise blues" thread on the open discussion, and from there took a link to "Signs of Overtraining". I am every sign of overtraining right now. x( I didn't put everything together until I was eating lunch reading all of that today. I was napping more often (tired), getting sick more than usual (have cold sores), and have developed muscle and eyelid twitches over the past two weeks. (Ugh, don't I sound attractive right now! LOL) So, I figure I have quite a bit to catch up on, and maybe so much so, that by the time I finish typing this-my workout window will have passed-which is not sounding like a bad thing right now.

So this is likely to be quite lengthy...here goes...(takes LOUD, DEEP INHALE...)

Lora-You did NOT look like the "Spawn of Satan" in that picture-you look good and very fit!!! ;) I love that picture because it really captures the energy of the crowd-very cool! I have been reading about the equipment you have been using (gliding discs, weighted gloves) and was wondering what your best equipment purchases have been. What do you use/enjoy the most? Where did you get your weighted gloves and how heavy are they? Regarding your boss/HR situation, would your company do job eliminations at Christmas time? Yuck!!! There's no good time, but that really sucks! Meant to tell you-BPAL oils are finally on the way! :) I have really had to supress my instant gratification gene on this one-but I have no doubt I will love them.

Tammy-Wow, even the easiest of the Bryan Kest is pretty tough-kudos to you for giving it a shot. Please know that he is not really beginner material even at his "easiest" and that there are plenty of good options out there, as Lora has mentioned. But also know it is a great set that is a favorite of many (me included) and his workouts are very good-you'll be glad you own it once you are ready to tackle it again. I am quite curious about Yoga X and the whole P90X series. I will definately be following and cheering on those who have planned to start the series in January. Hope your hair appointment went well. I love good hair days! :)

Megadoo-I hadn't figured out that you were a FF! You rock, girl! Be safe out there! Now I will be worried about you! Slim in 6 was $45.00 every 30 to 45 days-what a crock!!! You're smart for cancelling. I was wondering if you had overtraining issues during the time you were trying to lose weight? How did you cope with this? I love to garden, too! (But my yard says otherwise! LOL! :) )Hope you will post pics! Are you an annuals or perennials kind of girl?

August-Whoa! Limiting the sugar intake-good job! Sounds like you already eat very clean but are trying to refine it even more. I eat sugar and it's probably my biggest downfall. (next to fat, salt, oh and um...fried things :9) I try to limit it to sugar in the raw or honey. Sorry the coffee kept you up. I love, love, love it, but I am trying to limit caffeine (oops, did I forget to mention that as a vice!) especially when I have all this da*^ eye twitching going on! My eye really went into overdrive when I had coffee, but has been doing a little less twitching when I switched to decaf.

Yve-Thanks for the Chai recipe! :9. I printed it out so I can get all the ingredients. Will I have trouble finding green cardamom pods-I am not familiar with the spice in that form. Is it widely available? That's so awesome about all the DVDs coming to you! I hope you will tell us how you like them! I also read the amazon reviews of Yogatopia and Yoga Radiance this past weekend. The reviews sounded great on those!

Julie-"My body needs to put its energy into healing, not exercising...I will know when I can get back into it." Speak it, my Buddha!!!!! :+ Glad you are improving and almost ready to workout again. I am desperately trying to keep my mind off of a possible rest day. It is killing me. Hope you will give us your take on PY4H. "We dance, we rock, we party, we eat donuts!" I vote that line as our "thread motto"!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!:p

Karin-Swimming!! :) I used to swim competitively in middle and high school. I miss it but definately don't miss what it does to the hair! Does it make you hungry afterward? It used to make me ravenous! RY's Power Yoga-"All I can say is Yuck"---too funny! ;) Well...there's a review for ya'! Oh Well, at least you gave it a complete go before you made your decision. Sorry to hear about your step injury...I always knew step was evil!!! }(

Michele-AWWWWWW, STAY PLEASE!!! (Wraps arms around your ankles and won't let go as you try to exit thread) We can talk about more than yoga, we promise! :)

And finally, the YogaSculpt Review: This workout features Karen Voight, who is more well known for her other cardio and sculpting workouts than for yoga. There are 25 minutes of yoga postures followed by 20 minutes of core matwork. The production quality is excellent and up to Karen's usual standard. I have the VHS version of this workout and should mention that it is circa 1999, but does not look dated. Karen teaches the session alone with no back-up dancers...I mean back-up yoginis. I don't at all care for the music in section one-it's classical piano. I like the music much better (still not great, but compared to section one it's a blessing) in the matwork section, it's a little more jazz/contemporary. Karen gives excellent instruction on the poses and the workout is fairly challenging, particularly the standing series, for being so short. There is no "woo-woo" factor, here-the poses are explained in plain English, no Sanskrit here-and she does not engage in yogic philosophy. She does give a brief (standing) relaxation at the beginning, concentrating on the breath and preparing you to focus on the practice but she keeps it "Western" in nature. There is no final relaxation in this workout-which I normally would rip on, but seems appropriate here. I must say that I used to hate this workout and wondered why I bothered to keep it. After last night I am glad I did. She really teaches the practice well and you feel worked but relaxed at the end.

And now, I will be sending you all your share of my doctors' bills for the carpal tunnel. :) (Just kidding, I'm a former medical transcriptionist-it was a breeze, and shucks, ya'll are worth the effort.)

Ok, time for me to EEEEEEEEXXXXXXXHHHHHHAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEE!!

Have a great night all!

Jen

Jen ~ I loved reading your post! I think that we are all guilty of overtraining at one time or another. The hardest part is slowing down.....

Jen - I'm laughing...........I'm also a former medical transcriptionist!!! and fast typist! No wonder we have such long posts!!

Quickly - cuz I've got to go watch GH and get to bed...I have Everlast 1 pound gloves from Amazon and 1.5 pound ones from Beachbody (which are too hard on my shoulders). The discs are Mindy's for the carpet and I like them....really should do some gliding aerobics but they don't go fast and intense enough for me. I usually put them on and go wild!! I'll answer the rest tomorrow some time, as I need to take notes so I remember what I read....cuz your post is not showing up.

Take care of yourself and get yourself Un-overtrained.

I wish I could stop eating sugar.........being a recovering drug addict...I have some difficulty with food.....I have to be careful or I could easily develop an eating disorder because of my obssessive/compulsive/addictive behavior patterns. Right now, I have my chocolate obssession down to 4 Caramel kisses on Sat and 4 on Sunday. I also eat 3-4 pieces of candy a day...usually Caramel creams....I'm addicted to them. I don't feel life is worth it without them! Sad....but true. I've already given up so much in my life and I have to have a few things left.

I totally AVOID fried foods - have for years - and I hadn't eaten a donut in years either but just a couple days ago, the supervisor shoved a cream stick in my hand and I love them. I took 2 bites out of it and forced myself to throw it away. IT WAS SO GOOD that I thought I went to Heaven for a moment. I also eat too many carbs cuz I'm a vegetarian.....but other than that I eat pretty good....lots of salads, whole wheat, low fat cheese and yogurt...etc. Being on the Hardcore thread - I am no where near as disciplined as they are with eating and I never will be. I don't "have it in me".

Well....I better go.

Jen - do you have any of the Turbo Jams or Yoga Booty BAllet DVDs? Those are some of the most fun aerobic workouts. I'll have to think about other stuff.....oh....my rebounder is another good one. I don't know what I did without it. I modify some of Cathe's impact on it and it really keeps the old HR up there.

I'll see everyone in the AM.

Question?: I have been searching for Shiva's Fluid Power and most of the searches indicate it is available for presale with a release date of 4/24/07....does anyone have a link for it?

Okay...I'm talking to myself! I just ordered Eion Finn's PY4H!!! YAY!!!

It's the little things in life people!

Hello everyone,

Today I did a 75 minute vinyasa. It was a great workout, but towards the end I think I hurt my neck/shoulder in shoulder stand. Maybe vinyasa everyday isn't wise. I am going to put my heating pad on it and see if I can find some tiger balm.

Lora - Tks for the reviews on the dvds that I bought. I am looking forward to getting them. I too am happy about the Eion Finn. I have been hearing alot about anusara yoga, how it helps open up the heart, and allows one to release emotions etc... and am hoping that it is similar. John Friend, the man who developped the practice doesn't seem to have a dvd out - but has more cds and books...
How did it go at the office today? Is your boss's position still ok?

Maeghan - what a lovely garden! I love to garden also. Someone once told me: Gardening - is hard on the body - but good for the soul. I totally agree - there really is something to be said about working the earth, and knowing that something will live and grow with your nurturing.

August - Can totally relate to the coffee thing. I am embarassed to say how many times I have tried to kick my coffee habit. I don't drink it to wake up - I drink it cuz I love it... the taste, the smell...but like you, if I have one after 3:00 in the afternoon, I may as well find a good book to read or movie to watch. I am now trying to keep it at one cup in the morning, then a tea when I get to work, and maybe another tea in the afternoon.

Karin - I'm sorry you hurt your knee - that sounds so painful. I am thinking about getting an eliptical - What do you think of them vs the treadmill or bike?

Julie - glad you are feeling better - and also that you are listening to your body. Thanks for the recommendation for the Boiron remedy. I am going to look into it - as I am not getting a flu shot this year.

Jenn - I think your power post qualifies as a workout ;)
Hope that you take that much needed rest. For the record - I have two cold sores right now on the top right side of my lip - and it's large and in charge ;(

Tammy - Hope you enjoy the Eion Finn. I think that it will be the first one I try when my shipment arrives.

Hi Michelle.

Have a nice evening everyone.
Yve

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.