Tracey Mallet's Booty Barre workout?

Great question!

I just purchased Cathe's tower and would love to utilize it more fully with some barre workouts! :)

Sarah - I love Booty Barre! It's my favorite barre workout. It has a complete upper body section. Really works the booty (hence the title). Its pretty light on abs and could use a little more stretching. It has a cardio section with mountain climbers, plank jacks and fast knee repeaters. See this review from Amazon for all the particulars (the first review - 12/18/10):

http://www.amazon.com/Tracey-Mallet...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1299708194&sr=8-1

This barre workout has the biggest cardio component for me. The first time I did it, I burned 435 calories!

I usually start with 8# and then have to drop down to 5# on the arms.

It's not as fast as Cardio Barre but about on par with Physique 57. Booty Barre has more of a ballet feel than P57 and has larger range of motion moves. The workout is about 63 minutes. You will feel fully worked out by the end of the workout (and be glad you got through it all!)

Marcy

I love this workout!!! Definately worth getting. It makes you sweat and breath hard. There are tons of reviews over on the videofitness forum.

Another vote for getting this barre workout. I absolutely love it and much prefer it to Cardio Barre or P-57, which I also have. The upper body is short but effective.

Thank you all for getting back to me! Okay, it's a done deal then. I am going to order this as a reward for finishing up 8 weeks of meso 1. I will do it during my recovery week!

Of course now my question is what about Xtend Barre: Lean & Chiseled

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/xtend-barre-lean-and-chiseled-5988

Has anyone does this barre workout and what are your opinions? I just wonder if I should get it as well? After all I did 8 weeks of meso I this time, not 4 weeks, so I figure I deserve 2 new workout dvds...:eek:

Oh and I realize that there are lots of reviews for the workouts but it is hard to know what people are used to when they rate a workout dvd...whereas if I know the person works out with Cathe then I have a much better idea of how to take their review.

Last edited:
You all are enabling me to get to Booty Barre dvd!

Anyway, I just got the Xtend Barre workout and did it this weekend for the first time.
Overall I really liked it. The upper body stuff reminded me of Tracey Effinger's Squeeze and only seemed to hit on the shoulders and triceps. The barre portion reminded me of Cathe's Kickmax Leg Conditioning Drills but with graceful movements infused into it. There were also many of the same moves that Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced has. There's also some optional jumping which got my HR up. The abdominal portion was pretty standard but again had some ballet-like twists to it.

The other ballet workout I've been loving is Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body dvd. Music is awesome, the upper body section is a little more comprehensive (esp. with heavier weights), and it's just plain fun!

I read on a review on collage that the booty barre workout has a lot of moves where the knees extend way over the toes - such as in the plies - I watched the video clip again and saw that this is indeed true. As I am worried about my knees and this is one of the reasons I am contemplating getting barre workouts, I wondered what those of you who have done the workout say about the knee bends and extending way past the toes.

Do any of you have knee problems who do this dvd and is this a problem for you? Or are there not so many in the dvd that I can just do a different move in place of this move?

Thanks for all of your input!

sarah

Hi Sarah--

I have terrible knees, and so I don't go as low as Tracy when she has her heels together and goes way down. She also has a modifier who doesn't even try to squat and sometimes keeps her feet flat on the floor. I have a lot of barre workouts, and I just modify them if they bother my knees. When I had P.T. for my knees, I was told to do these lunges holding a dowel that leaned way over my knees. When I objected, the therapist asked me where I had heard this as being so terrible, because, he said, "you do it every time you walk up the stairs." I told him this was standard on my exercise dvds, and he just shook his head. So I don't know if it's so bad or not. I did his lunges and did not feel that I was doing anything so terrible to my knees. For me, static lunges with a lot of weight and impact are the real knee killers.

Hmmm...well my knee trouble started from doing step - and when I walk up and down stairs my left knee makes a noise and sometimes hurts...so when the therapist said that we do this every time we take the stairs I would argue that just because we do something a lot doesn't necessarily mean it is ok.

Step hurts my knee the most - I have modified my step routines to only using the step - no risers, and I have reduced the number of step workouts I do. I do a lot more kickbox these days.

Thank-you so much for letting me know about the modifiers! That is extremely helpful. I think I will make my purchases today so I can get the dvds in time for my recovery week. Looking forward to trying out these workouts!

Anyway, I just got the Xtend Barre workout and did it this weekend for the first time.
Overall I really liked it. The upper body stuff reminded me of Tracey Effinger's Squeeze and only seemed to hit on the shoulders and triceps. The barre portion reminded me of Cathe's Kickmax Leg Conditioning Drills but with graceful movements infused into it. There were also many of the same moves that Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced has. There's also some optional jumping which got my HR up. The abdominal portion was pretty standard but again had some ballet-like twists to it.

Thanks for this post! I have and like Xtend Barre, and I was just debating whether to get CB Ultimate Advanced; sounds like my hunch was right that I'll like that too. :)

Btw, if you enjoy Xtend, you'll probably like Booty Barre, which is similar but a bit more intense (mainly because the barre work is significantly longer!).

Just stopping back to say that I really enjoy Booty Barre! Great work out! Thanks for the rec! :)

Can't wait for Cathe's Barre w/o to be released now!;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.