Today is World Cancer Day...what can you do?

JodelleFitzh20

Cathlete
Today, February 4th is World Cancer Day, bringing cancer awareness to the masses. We need to know that more than 750,000 people die from cancer annually, and a quarter million lives could be spared with a concerted effort to control calories and get adequate Omega-6/Omega-3 fat consumption along with eating real organic whole foods. I lost my own mother to cancer in 1998 and although she was extremely physically active, running, biking, teaching aerobic classes, clogging, and working out in her own home gym, her food choices were all "diet" "low fat" "sugar free" claims and hardly any of it was real, unprocessed, non-man-made. I'm convinced that her stomach cancer that killed her stemmed from all the Diet Coke, Tab Cola, Snackwell's Cookies, Fat-free Ranch, and many other chemically laden foods that her body didn't know what to do with. Keep in mind, no man has what it takes to create a food, but God knows what he is doing when he creates stuff.
That being said, I want to encourage you to focus on foods that are pure, from the earth, natural and organic. These foods have more Omega-3's and more antioxidants and polyphenols and flavonoids which helps prevent cancer. Rather than choosing "diet" foods where they take out the pure ingredients like the healthy oils and proteins and replace them with sugar and chemicals, choose foods that have not been altered and have the simplest amount of ingredients. Rather than buying "Snackwells' fat-free cookies, make a batch of your own using real sucanat from sugar-cane, and real oat flour from ground up oatmeal, and real butter, and real vanilla extract (or vanilla bean), and real eggs! And then watch your portions and keep that cookie under control. Rather than drinking "Diet Coke" which has "No calories" drink water, which has no calories and actually hydrates you rather than pulling calcium out of your bones like sodas do. I myself am a "recovered-sodaholic", and I used to down 6 diet cokes a day,!!!! Now I"m clean off the stuff for 6 years! If I can ditch the drink, so can you! That stuff ran through my veins! And immediately when I stopped drinking soda, I lost 6 lbs!!!
For more cancer prevention, choose foods like walnuts, flax seed oil and meal, and lean fish like salmon, halibut, and trout for a good dose of omega-3's. Watch out for foods that contain too much Omega-6's which can throw your body out of balance and create precancerous conditions in the body. Foods to avoid that contain too much Omega 6's are: all commercially baked products, fast foods and vegetable based cooking oils. Be especially mindful to cut any foods listing hydrogenated trans fats, as these increase the risk of heart disease by 25%.

On top of that, increase your real foods, your veggies, your fruits and your healthy fats like avocado and coconut and decrease your processed carbs like breads, pastas, and cereals. A saying I love is: If it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it!! A coconut has a mother called the palm tree, a cow had a mother, a salmon has a mother, oil has a mother from the nut or seed it grew from, and that nut or seed had a mother plant. Making these changes can go a long ways in keeping your cancer free, and that's the way to be!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.