Thumb surgery anyone?

oyez3

Has anyone had a thumb arthroplasty on the basal joint using the FCR tendon? I'm now bone on bone in my right thumb & this is the only way to eliminate the constant pain. I'm sticking to conservative treatment right now while I mull over whether or not to have the surgery. I've been doing a lot of research on the long term results of the surgery but can't find much on what the effect would be of the loss of the FCR on my wrist strength & flexibility. My thumb is not an issue for my workouts but I sure do need my wrists! Any input would be appreciated!

I treat these patients postoperative, just beware it's a long slow recovery and often quite painful.

I treat these patients postoperative, just beware it's a long slow recovery and often quite painful.

Just wanted to add that I don't have many patients complain of decrease strength after the rehab period but you might notice the lack of CMC extension affecting your workouts. E.g you most likely won't be able to get your hand flat during push-ups as it will be "cupped" in order to ensure stability of the joint.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.