The FIRM Ultimate Calorie Blaster (2005) REVIEW... sort of.

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
You know, before I discovered Cathe, I amassed quite a collection of FIRM workouts that just collected dust after Cathe. However, I was desperate for something different to do on cardio night (though it's, technically Friday morning...) and had to come up with a solution. I just did LowMax two nights ago, the only other Cathe cardio I have is IMAX3 (plyo Hell, you've got to be kidding) and those super easy introductory Cathe step dvds that, along with every other cardio dvd I have, accomplish nothing, after all this time. That's the dichotomy about Cathe's cardio vs. everyone else's: Much of her cardio is loaded with plyo and too hard on the joints for a large percentage of us while everyone else's cardio is twinkie stuff. Nobody's really doing cardio for that middle ground with any consistency. But I digress. I thought about the treadmill but I really don't want to hop on that thing again until my Cardio Coach discs arrive. So, exasperated, I finally started looking over my old FIRM dvd's, which I abandoned largely because I needed serious weight training which The FIRM doesn't do (hence, I moved to CatheLand). Yet, I recalled that I always found their cardio REALLY challenging so I thought 'Why not?' I mean, it would be interesting to see if it still leaves me panting, sweating and exhausted. So did it still get my heart racing? Oh Yes. I selected Ultimate Calorie Blaster with Stephanie Huckabee and dusted off my old Transfirmer step. The whole experience was a shock, good and bad. I used to have an awful time doing the arm moves while doing the footwork but have gotten better, all the tall box climbing was so hard It used to bring me to the edge of stomach-churning illness. All that Cathe leg-work has done wonders. I got through all of it, standing tall, abs in! But when it was over I had to hit PAUSE, catch my breath, get some water and hose myself down (with a misting bottle full of cold water), just like old times. My heart was a-thumpin'. There are moments where both feet leave the floor, though one of the crew shows us modified moves, with one foot always planted. Thus, the "plyo" moves are NOTHING like what Cathe does, for all those of you concerned about injuring your joints. There is step and floor work throughout (and the choreography is NOT difficult at all) so there's plenty of variety. When the cardio was over and I was ready to cool down and wrap it up it was time to break out the mat and do some planks! Oh man! I totally forgot. The FIRM sticks ab work at the end of nearly all their workouts. Their forward planks don't keep you up on your toes as long as Cathe (thank you) but they also do SIDE planks, which are probably new to Catheites. Whatever. The ab work is brief and I need it, so it's all good. All in all, Ultimate Calorie Blaster is STILL a killer - but if you don't already have their Transfirmer step (so glad I didn't get rid of mine) you'll not be able to do this workout without the slanted risers for the club step and you may have to modify some moves. Not only do I recommend this workout as a heart pumper (though using the light dumbbells is still kind of dumb and I certainly would not rely on any FIRM workout for weight training) I believe I'm going to start rifling through all my old FIRM cardio dvds to see what else can be used to augment my workout schedule. I learned that Cathe has done so much for making my legs stronger but my heart still has a looooong way to go. In the end, I gave up on The FIRM because I needed heavy weight training but, tonight's killer workout has made see it was a mistake to give up on their cardio. This workout kicked my butt and my heart. As long as you don't RELY on The FIRM for weight training (3 lb. dumbbells... please) I think their cardio workouts offer a lot. And the instructor on this one, Stephanie Huckabee, is merciless.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Thanks for posting this! I needed a reminder that my Firm Cardio stuff is still decent. I find as my preggo belly is getting bigger I'm needing to modify the plyo stuff more and more. I'll have to dig these old tapes out and try them out again.

If you want to branch beyond Cathe and The Firm for cardio, I just discoverd Sharon Twombley's step workouts. Her Athletic Step Jam is really fun and hi intensity with easier choreography than Cathe. Good music too. She does have hi impact moves but has a modifier to show the low impact version. I sweated plenty with this one and found it easy to follow. Her cueing is excellent!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

SirenSong, I did UCB yesterday and have to agree with you that working out with Cathe's videos only improve my form while doing the Tall box climb. Love this video! Hate the side planks. :)

But I wanted to remind you that the Firm was one of the first at home videos to inspire women to workout with weights. Remember the oldies with Susan Harris and Tracie Long? Good workouts in spite of all the spandex.

You know what's weird about those FIRM instructors? They are MUSCULAR... and you know they didn't get those bodies with 3lb dumbbells! Kind of makes you wonder why they don't put out heavy weight dvds, since that's what they're all obviously doing when the cameras aren't rolling. I really do not like circuit, regardless of the brand, because it takes away from the cardio burn and is completely ineffective for building muscle. The FIRM would lose a lot less people to Cathe if they'd separate the cardio from the weights and go heavy on the weights. It's a mystery to me why they don't. Still, I need heart-pumping, joint-friendly cardio and those old FIRM dvd's actually have a lot to offer, cardio-wise. I'll take good (safe) cardio from anyplace I can get it. But if Cathe did a lot more joint-friendly, heart-pumping cardio (in addition to high impact, NOT INSTEAD OF, so don't panic at the suggestion, high-octane Catheites!) I'd grab it all. It's hard to come up with tough cardio minus the plyos but Cathe's a creative individual and I love, love, love Low Max..... Cathe... pleeeeeeeze.

btw Jonahnah, I WILL be checking out S. Twombley. I'm on a mission to find hard, non-damaging cardio so thank you for getting me started :).

The Firm girls introduced me to step in the first place and UCB is so much fun once you get it! I've been doing it for approx. 2 years and come to think of it, I haven't done it in a few months! That's what I'm doing tonight -thanks!!

RE: The FIRM Ultimate Calorie Blaster (2005) REVIEW... ...

It is timely that you posted this about The Firm. All this week I have been thinking about what to do with all of my old Firm VHS tapes and Dvd's. I have not even been able to trade them away on the Video Exchange Forum. I have seriously considered throwing them away since they are just collecting dust. For nostalgic reasons, I hate to just throw them away. I have all of the old tapes from the Benson sister days and on. The Firm became stale and not challenging after a while and I needed more variety and intensity. In my search for more intensity and variety, I found Cathe and I am so glad that I did! I too cannot figure out why they never added more intensity to their cardio. After all how many "bunny hops" can you do and the step portion of their tapes became boring! It is a joke that after all this time the instructors are still lifting 3 lbs. and 5 lbs. dumbbells for many moves. I do appreciate The Firm for introducing me to weight training and serious cardio. Sometime I miss their large class videos. When I use to work out with those tapes, I always felt like I was part of a class. The production quality of the Benson sister workouts set a standard that today many workout productions need to emulate.

There are very few Firm workouts that I still do, but Ultimate Calorie Blaster and Super Cardio are ones that I do from time to time and still enjoy. One of the things that I enjoyed about the Firm workouts was the variety- just when I was sick of doing something, they would move on to another move.

The Benson sisters should be given more credit for their accomplishments in female health and fitness.

Thanks For your post-I am glad to see that someone else still thinks about The Firm. I think that I too will do Ultimate Calorie Blaster for my second cardio session today. I can't wait for those tall box climbs. Tomorrow though, It is back to Cathe!

Regina

RE: The FIRM Ultimate Calorie Blaster (2005) REVIEW... ...

I do like Firm UCB, and Stephanie! I use it often on days that I want to get some cardio in before I do weight training with Cathe. Its not super intense, but just enough to get the heart going. On cardio only days, however, I like something longer, harder, and more complex, like Cardio Fusion,Imax, etc.
I used to work out exclusively to the firm. When I did cardio tapes, I would use 8lb. dumbells. For weight tapes(Tortoise,Standing legs, Firm Strength,Super Sculpting, etc.) I would use much heavier weights.(more than what they used in the videos) I did see great results, especially when I upped my weights over time. However, I felt that as the company changed hands, the intensity and quality of their videos went south. I was also getting bored with the old ones. Thats when I discovered Cathe! Wow! What a challenge!! A whole new world!! I'm still building my collection, and she's STILL coming out with new and innovating workouts! I can't keep up :7 I don't think I'll ever get bored. She just keeps getting better; its amazing. With that said, I do still like to revisit the firm occasionally. I really do think the older ones do produce results if you heavy up. And I do like the transfirmer. Its unique and fun for cardio. I don't think I could ever get rid of my old firm vhs tapes!!;-) Take care, Nancy J.~~

> As long as you don't RELY on The FIRM for
>weight training (3 lb. dumbbells... please) I think their
>cardio workouts offer a lot.

They 3 lb. weights are to intensify the cardio not really for weight training.

The Firm does offer some solid weight training vids. And Cathe has done side planks before. :) Have you tried Super Cardio? That is probably the best Firm cardio out there. My opinion of course. A little high impact that can easily be modified. For Cathe, try some of her older vids like Power Max. Those have less high impact cardio, but still give a good workout. If you like kickboxing, any of Cathe's are superb. Some high impact, but you can skip it or do one of the low impact premixes.

>> As long as you don't RELY on The FIRM for
>>weight training (3 lb. dumbbells... please) I think their
>>cardio workouts offer a lot.
>
>They 3 lb. weights are to intensify the cardio not really for
>weight training.
>
>The Firm does offer some solid weight training vids. And Cathe
>has done side planks before. :) Have you tried Super Cardio?
>That is probably the best Firm cardio out there. My opinion of
>course. A little high impact that can easily be modified. For
>Cathe, try some of her older vids like Power Max. Those have
>less high impact cardio, but still give a good workout. If you
>like kickboxing, any of Cathe's are superb. Some high impact,
>but you can skip it or do one of the low impact premixes.

I try not to use any added weight when doing cardio as I'm a three-day split girl (four, if you count my extra leg day), even though I realize it's unlikely a 3lb dumbbell will hurt my recovery/muscle repair after weight training. With The FIRM, even their weight training ("sculpting") workouts rarely use a weight greater than 8lbs - and never a loaded barbell. I know because I'm going through them all right now, trying to see what I have that I can still get some use from. I'm finding lots of usable cardio and a ton of great ab routines (which I really need). A lot of the sculpting can be done by raising the weight considerably... Besides all my old FIRM dvd's, I'm amazed at how many workout dvd's in my collection have me rolling my eyes. Talk about wasted money. Conserving money is what forced me to reevaluate all these dvd's in the first place... Everything else is going to ebay.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.