tanning salon

This spring, I have tried Banana Boat (tinted), and I got a lot of streaks, so I threw it away.
I recently bought the Neutrogena tanning foam-it is also tinted in the medium formula. I like it a lot!
I have used the Coppertone one in the past, and the color is great, but the smell isn't (my husband liked the smell, though).

I have been using self tanning products for a number of years. This year I tried Bain de Soleil Streakguarde Foam tinted self tanner. I think this is the best product out there. I used Neutrogena tanning foam and I liked that but my husband and boys said I smelled. They say they I don't smell with the Bain de Soleil product plus I think it works faster. Just try it on your legs and see if you like it.

Debbie

Gals...just wait until you're 40...you won't even want to go near them. And you'll use sunscreen every day. That's all I want to say.

Meredith

I totally agree with you Meredith! I am approaching 40 (38 1/2) right now) and am regretting the time I spent in the sun and in tanning beds. Tanning beds are not a safe alternative to a sun tan--any tan is damage to the skin. I understand how people want to have a tan-- I am one of them--it is a vanity thing. I now use self tanners and limit my sun tanning in the summer and I do use sunscreen. Not to preach to anyone, but your skin WILL thank you for not tanning so much. By the way, they now have those self tanner booths that apply the self tan for you---goof proof! I would try those.

I'm 40 and it's not even the wrinkles but the freckling and dark spots you get from the sun which don't show up till your older. I stopped sunbathing in my 20's but the dermatolgist said I've had enough sun for this lifetime.

Hi, Beth. When I was much younger, I lived in California and Florida, and I tanned a LOT. Now that I'm in my mid-thirties, I don't really have the time, etc. However, I have psoriasis, and I do use the natural sunlight to help get it in remission during the summer months. In the winter, if it gets REALLY bad, I'll go to a tanning bed a couple of times a week for no more than 10-12 min. at a time. Also, whether I'm in natural sun or the bed, I cover my face.

I'd love to try the self-tanners, but I'm sure it would pool up on the areas that I have psoriasis (or at least get in the creases of damaged psoriatic skin) and look ridiculous.

Hollie

HI BETH!

I REALLY DON'T THINK GOING TO TANNING SALONS IS ANY GOOD FOR ANYONE.

I, MYSELF, WAS GOING EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. WELL LAST SUMMER I HAD THIS SORE ON THE SIDE OF MY NOSE THAT WOULD NOT HEAL. I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND AFTER A BIOPSY OF THE WOUND, IT TURNED OUT TO BE BASAL CELL CARCINOMA.

I HAD MOHS SURGERY PERFORMED AND ENDED UP WITHOUT THE SIDE OF MY NOSTRIL (THE CANCER WAS FULL THICKNESS AND WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED).

I THEN HAD RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY ON MY NOSE. THE PLASTIC SURGEON TOOK ABOUT 3/8" OF MY EAR TO RECONSTRUCT MY NOSTRIL. THIS WAS DONE IN MARCH AND TO DATE MY EAR IS STILL PRETTY SORE, BUT MY NOSE LOOKS GREAT. STILL A LITTLE DISCOLORED, BUT LOOKING PRETTY GOOD.

SO, YOU SEE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOING TO THE TANNING BOOTHS BUT I DO USE SELF TANNERS.

HOPE THIS DETERS YOU AND ANYONE ELSE FROM THOSE SALONS.

KRIS

Having fought (and won) against melanoma, including enduring six months of chemo and one year of interferon, I would say stay away. It's like smoking. We all know people who smoke but don't get lung cancer and people who tan and don't get skin cancer. It's a gamble. Are you willing to take it?

Any experiences with the spray kind?

I have the unfortunate kind of skin that doesn't tan very easily and fades very quickly as well. I tanned some during high school, but when my tan lines were COMPLETELY gone by early September (after a summer of running around in the sun) I decided I don't want to risk skin cancer for somethng that won't last anyways.

However, I'm not very good with the creams and stuff either. I was wondering if anyone has tried the thing where you go in and they spray on the tanning stuff. How does it work? How to they make sure they don't miss anything? What about your hair and stuff like that? How do they do your face? I was just wondering if anyone had a personal experience to share, since I've been thinking about trying it.

Thanks!

Amanda

RE: Any experiences with the spray kind?

Hi Amanda!
I just went for my "Mystic" tan this evening. It is the stand up in a booth and get sprayed thing you were asking about.
It is my 4th time going, (once a week is enough for me) and its about 25 bucks a pop. They do offer packages, tho.
There are 3 levels, 1,2,and 3, and I usually get level 2, as I am pretty light, but dont want to look too dark, because, its just not me. Level 2 suits me, and I dont look pasty. It covers pretty even, as well.
For more info about it, go to
www.sunless.com

The best site in my opinion for info about self tanners. Great board and forum. They go into detail about the Mystic tan as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.