tanning salon

bethmeira

Cathlete
I have been thinking about going to a tanning salon for awhile now and wanted to get others opinions of tanning - good, bad. What questions should I ask? I have never gone to one of those places before so I am really clueless.

Beth

There is no company by that name around here. A place yesterday told me that they like to start people out on the "30" minute beds for 10-12 minutes. Taking it slow sounds smart to me.

Beth,

I swore I would never do that to my skin again...however, I've been going for about a month. I'm fair skinned & started out at about 5 minutes. I've slowly increased my time, sometimes only by a minute a visit. I go about every other day, but that's not written in stone. I alternate stand-up and regular beds. The stand up allows me to tan the underarms and all over without worrying about missed places (I tend to get a white spot on my tailbone so that tans that part). For me, I've found it more economical to purchase the unlimited monthly plan ($40). Don't get all sucked into the tanning products that they offer. I use nothing but make sure that I lotion up after every shower (you know, in the a.m. and then after workouts and then, if I tan that night, then also). Now, you'll hear all about bronzers and all that junk...if you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on that stuff, at least do your research first...better yet, ask for a sample packet (it's usually not complimentary though)...and make sure it's stuff that is in your price range. I was shocked to find some stuff going for $40! ALWAYS WEAR THE GOGGLES or buy the stick-ease (I think that's what they're called).

HTH
Sue<><

Beth - I tan once in awhile but only in the summer time. Last year I started using the higher intensity beds versus the lower intensity beds. I use the "Big Bear" bed. I know a lot of salons around here have that particular brand of bed.

Anyway, in the Big Bear you only have to go 10-12 minutes (12 minutes is the max they will let you go)for 1-2 times a week to keep a decent tan. I don't get real tan, but get tan enough I have some color, can wear shorts etc. If I went 2-3 times a week I am sure I would be pretty dark. However, I just like to get enough color that I don't look like Casper:)

The Big Bear and similar beds are more expensive. I pay approx. $10-12 a tan. But I think it is worth it as I don't burn in the bed. It truly tans me and doesn't seem as damaging to the skin. I also think it evens out in the end anyway as you don't have to pay for as many tans as you don't have to go as often! Saves time too!

I also agree about the tanning lotion products. I think they are a true ripoff! I just use regular lotion from Bath and Body works.

Hope this helps!

Aren't you ladies concerned about getting cancer from these tanning salons? I'm concerned now for all of you. Have you thoroughly researched this? Deb I'm sure you have but just wondering. Worry wort over here, Kathy:(

Oops Deb sorry just remembered that you said "IF you were to go".

One word...yes. It's a risk. So are other things in my life. I don't tan year round and like I said, it's my first time in ten years. We're moving to a very hot climate where we'll be outside a lot. And honestly...the biggest thing is vanity. Tan cellulite looks better than white. I've been white every summer for the past ten years and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I want to look good in my suit this year. Being physically fit is great...the tan makes it look even better.

Those are my reasons...and yes, Kathy, although you don't know me very well, I'm a researcher by nature and understand the risks thoroughly. I appreciate your concern for us.

Sue<><
PS. I'd add a smiley if I could figure that out!

I also appreciate your concern and definitely know it is a risk. Which is the primary reason why I pay more money for the better beds that do NOT burn me. In my opinion and from the research I have done, they are better for me than a day in the real Sun. I seriously take it really easy and NEVER burn in them. I always go less time than what they say you can go.

Have you guys seen the systems that dye your skin instead of tanning it? Sooooo weird. I have a friend who did it.

Hi Beth:

I used to go to tanning beds, but found out very quickly that my skin got very wrinkly and I don't want that! So, now I get one of those sunless tanning lotions. I use Neutrogena's tanning foam and I think it's great. I have had great results and lots of compliments on my tan that I never even worked at. I do miss the 20-25 minutes naps I'd take in the tanning bed, but saving my skin feels even better.

Good luck with your decision, Marcia.

How do you do the all over look without missing spots? More specifically, the face and up close to the hairline and the ears? I know that sounds stupid but if I could find a sunless tanner that looked great, not fake or orange on me, I'd go that route.

TIA
Sue<><

Hello Sue! Except for the fact that I broke out in a rash from using it, the Neutrogena brand produced, for me at least, a nice brown color that was not streaky. Don't let me discourage you from using it with my breaking out result because I think only a minority of people do break out. Hope this was of some help.

Good luck,
Teresa

P.S. I know it is not the wisest thing to do, but I visit a salon from time to time because I haven't found a tanner I can successfully use yet. Hopefully I will find one!

I think I'll buy some and hold onto it for winter. Then I can mess around with it and if I end up looking goofy, only my husband will know!

Sue<><

I've tried the sunless tanning lotions and they all have a terrible smell and it looks like and uneven tan. If anyone has tried one of those bottles that doesn't smell bad let me know.

Two summers ago I went tanning a bunch of times trying to get a nice tan. I honestly didn't get very tan! I'm fair skinned to begin with and I can tan under the sun, but for me, this was a waste of money.

Not to mention that tanning is one of the dumbest things you can do. It's basically paying for skin cancer, premature aging, etc. I definately agree that tanned skin looks better and hides flaws, but in 10 years, you'll want your soft, youthful fair skin back! I regret going tanning because I know I'll pay for it in a few years.

I just read an article about fair skin being "in." It's true that it shows your flaws, but this made me more confident- I'm not hiding anything, this is me. Think of all the beautiful fair-skinned women who don't bother tanning- Gwnyeth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Charlize Theron, Madonna, Renee Zellwegger...

There's supposed to be a new spray-tan both at some tanning salons, like Hollywood Tans. It sprays self-tanner on you for a few seconds.

I am new here and haven't posted much, but I just want to add this regarding safety. I have been lurking here long enough to know this is a group of highly intelligent ladies and gentlemen, so you probably know this stuff already. Forgive me, I am a nurse, so I can't help myself :). Please be sure to do monthly self skin exams and look everywhere. If you have a new mole (especially after the age of 30) or one that changes see your doctor. I know everyone has seen this before but look for the ABCDEs... Asymmetry, Border (irregular, notched, or fuzzy borders), Color (changes in color or irregular color), Diameter (smaller than an eraser or 6 mm), and Elevation. Other changes such as a mole that bleeds, itches, or grows fast; sores that won't heal; or rough, scaly skin should be checked by a physician. For more on self exam see http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/ped_7_1_Skin_Cancer_Detection_What_You_Can_Do.asp

Also remember that a tan is skin damage. According to an article from the Amercian Cancer Society, "People 35 or younger who used (tanning) beds regularly had a melanoma risk eight-fold higher than people who never used tanning beds."

I was a tanning salon user starting at the age of 17. I loved tanning! After I had my daughter, I noticed a mole on my abdomen that was darker and itching. At first my doctor didn’t want to remove it, but he finally agreed… thank goodness. It was precancerous. I am so thankful I did and do my self exams. So, if you decide to tan or are a tanner, do those exams. Pleeeaaasssseee!

After my dark skinned Italian Dad (who never got a sunburn just a tan) was diagnosed with melanoma (they were able to contain it thank goodness) I tried to go pale for awhile, but call it vanity I just couldn't contend with the purple spider web veins "infrastructure" on my legs which showed up more with the new pale look so:

I have had some success with the sunless tanners and this year better luck than ever. I started to loofah in the shower prior to applying and I loofah every night whether I put the self tanning lotion on or not. It really makes a difference. As far as which one, you really have to try them - some give you a darker or lighter tan, some really smell bad and some smell good. Some are also more difficult or messier to apply than others and the price can really vary. Believe or not, I have had the best luck with the No Ad cream - although it smells, it goes away after it dries and it really gives a natural look. Banana Boat is also good.

I still go out in the sun as I am an obsessive gardener but I always have a 30 block on which still allows me to tan. That combined with the sunless tanning products works well and allows the best of both worlds more safely. Good luck!

Deb

Okay, so moving in a slightly different direction...which sunless tanner has worked for you (meaning the you that reads this)?

TIA
Sue<><

I'm a casper and I get more comfortable with being a casper every year! I just don't think about it anymore. My husband and I joke around because he is Hispanic and I look so WHITE compared to him...tee hee. One thing I have noticed about my friends and family who tan regularly...they wrinkle a lot faster...but I have to admit a tan looks good!:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.