tan towels

kariev

Cathlete
I'm very intriqued by this method of sunless tanning. Have any of you tried them? If so, how does it smell, how does it fade, and how fast does it dry? Also, do you use it consistently or just every once in a while? I'm sick of applying lotions and most of them are stinky so this seems like such a great option. Though i have a feeling that all self tanners are the same and this will be no different then everything else i have tried so I might want to save my money. So your thoughts are appreciated:)

Hey Kari--

I like them, the towels are very easy to use and it dries super fast with a nice color--so much better than lotions for me. It fades nice on me, and the smell is the least offensive self tanner I've ever used. Right now I use once a week just for a little color but when the weather gets nicer I'll use 2 x a week. My only complaint is I think they could saturate the towels more, they seem to get dry and I need to open a second one to get my lower legs/arms/chest/neck/face done.

thanks! do you get the full body or half body ones? also what shade do you get; fair to medium or medium to dark? I think i'm going to purchase them.

Anyone else try these?

I use the Kate Somerville towelettes. They don't smell, and the color is great.

Have you ever seen self-tanners being sold on a shopping network? Check it out-- the models never show their fingers. It's because it's hard to do them right. I saw Kate Somerville on TV, and she suggested that when you're done, put some hand lotion on your hands. She's right. It really works well to blend it in, so you don't have a line of demarcation. (But don't put the lotion anywhere else until the tanner sets.)

The KS ones are just one color fits all. A little bit expensive, but worth it because the color is so good.

Jane

I use the Kate Somerville towelettes. They don't smell, and the color is great.

Have you ever seen self-tanners being sold on a shopping network? Check it out-- the models never show their fingers. It's because it's hard to do them right. I saw Kate Somerville on TV, and she suggested that when you're done, put some hand lotion on your hands. She's right. It really works well to blend it in, so you don't have a line of demarcation. (But don't put the lotion anywhere else until the tanner sets.)

The KS ones are just one color fits all. A little bit expensive, but worth it because the color is so good.

Jane

Thanks! Where do you get them from? Does one towellett cover your whole body? I'm fair skinned and don't want something to dark. Since its one color fits all, how dark is it? Does it rub off on your clothes at all?

You can get them from QVC and I think from Sephora.com, and probably Kate Somerville has her own site. I'm fair skinned too, and one use really takes the edge off that stark white color. If you want more, just do it again the next day. You won't get too dark from just one, though, for sure. It won't rub off, as far as I can tell, but I usually use it when I get out of the shower in the morning (usually on the weekend), and then I just put my robe on until I'm done with my hair. After that, I get dressed, and I've never had it rub off. The tan slowly develops for about 4 hours.

With whatever tanner you use, be sure to exfoliate first, particularly dry areas like elbows and knees. Otherwise, you will get dark spots there. I would recommend using an exfoliant without oil in it, such as Philosophy hot salt scrub. I also use a Clarisonic Plus with the exfoliant.

For me, the tan lasts about 6 days.

One towelette is just enough for your whole body. I always start with my legs because they're the most white, and that way they will get the most "juice" from the towelette. Then I do arms, chest, then face.

The first time you might miss a little bit, so best not to "experiment" before an important event. You'll get it.

thanks! do you get the full body or half body ones? also what shade do you get; fair to medium or medium to dark? I think i'm going to purchase them.

Anyone else try these?

I ordered a variety pack, so it had both fully body and 1/2--but for me the "full" body does lower legs below knee, the arms, chest, neck and face. There's not enough product to do my whole body. They say the Classic is for lighter skin tones and the Plus is for darker, but I ordered the Plus and they are fine (I'm pretty fair!).

Playboy and Arbonne have really nice spray on self tanners...Spray, rub, dry (about a minute) go...I've never had any problems with streaking or staining with either one of them...We own 2 tanning salons, and none of my clients know that I don't actually USE the tanning beds...I alternate between the two.

MJ in MN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.