Taking my first spinning class...

lounsbury

Cathlete
<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON May-09-00 AT 12:28PM (EST)</font></center>

I could use a little advice from any of you spinners out there! I'm taking my first spinning class tonight (actually it's half spinning, half weights), and I'd appreciate any last-minute tips or form pointers anyone can give me. I've heard a lot about padded bike shorts -- obviously, that won't help me tonight, and I don't want to invest in them until I'm sure I like spinning, but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to avoid, um, soreness in those very delicate areas? Thanks!

Lynne

spinning classes

Be sure to arrive to class early - like 5 to 10 minutes early. Have the instructor help you set up your bike properly. You can invest in a padded seat cover - like $15-20 can find at a bike shop or at Target. These help. You can also possibly bring a hand towel and fold it over and sit on it if you really start hurting during your first class - I'm not sure how much this may help but it is an idea.

Remember that this is a totally different form of cardio than step/kickbox. The first class you often think your heart is just going to explode. Be sure to take it at your own pace and sit down when you need to and take some resistance off your bike if you need too also.

Its probably good that this class is 1/2 spin and 1/2 weights to help you adjust to a spin class. A whole hour spinning is tough at the start.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks for the tips, Heather!

I was planning on getting there a little early to get some tips from the instructor. I may consider the seat cover if I decide to keep going, and I will have an extra small towel with me tonight just in case. When I called to sign up, they recommended this class instead of the all-spinning class because there are usually fewer people -- so you get more individual instruction.

Lynne

spinning tips

Check the Open Forum for Amy T's spinning questions (4/10/00). There are a series of tips for a beginner spinner. Besides the shorts, remember to put your weight on the fleshy part of your anatomy not the tender parts. Have fun & be prepared to sweat. The combo class is a great idea.

Thanks Debra!

Thanks for the reference to Amy T's thread -- I read through it and there are lots of great tips in there. Unfortunately, I mixed up the classes -- Tuesday's 6:30 class is weights only, no spinning. I'm going to try for the 5:30 spinning class next Tuesday.

Lynne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.