Swim Interval workout whipped me!

likes2bfit

Cathlete
Today I tried a swim interval workout for the first time, and I just have to say it really was challenging! I only swam 2600 yards in just under 50 minutes on intervals but my heart-rate was really up.

I have a new appreciation for all the swimmers out there, including my 12 year old daughter who swimms about 4,000 yards 4 nights per week.

For any one looking to cross train, this is a great work out. Perhaps there is a knowledgeable swimm type out there who can suggest a few intervals to try? (I kept it simple: 500 warm up, 10 50's kicking on 1:30, 5 100's on 2:30, 5 100's kicking on 2:30, 600 cool down. This was just hit or miss; I have no idea what to do. But my heart was pumping.

Judy

May God always grant you a sunbeam to warm you... a moonbeam to charm you...& a sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you :)

Here is one that I did last week that left me totally breathless:

400 warm-up 200 free, 100 back, 100 breast

5 * 250 free on 4:30
2 minute rest

(3 * 50) * 2 on 1:00 IM turn work, fly to back, back to breast, breast to free, repeat
1 minute rest

5 * 150 free on 2:45
2 minute rest

(3 * 50) * 2 on 1:00 Im turn work again
1 minute rest

5 * 75 free on 1:30

125 cool down

3200 yards, took me about 60 minutes

The emphasis is trying to maintain a faster pace, 200 pace for 250s, 100 pace for 150s, and 50 sprint pace for 75s. The last 50 and 25 on these are just a killer if you do them correctly.

Both my kids swim, the 15 year old about 7-9000 six days a week, the 10 year old just 3-4 times per week. They both love it and I know why, it just feels good to churn out a good work-out!

Dorothy

One thing to note, if you cannot make the same intervals as what is posted, swim the first interval and add a 10-15 rest to it and make that your interval. So if your 100's were on 2:30, and you were getting 15 seconds rest, then a 150 would probably be 3:45. However, if you had a lot more rest than that, you want to try and push the threshold a little. That is what is challenging about intervals, constantly pushing that threshold a little harder. 3 years ago I was swimming 100's on 3:00, now on a good day I am doing them on 1:30, (no where near the sub minute pace my son does, sigh).

I also alter my work-out from day to day. I may do hard sprint intervals one day, and the next day concentrate on middle distance(200-300) and then another day do a straight mile, or several 500's. I mix up strokes also, concentrating on freestyle some days and IM on others. I prefer IM, so I have to force myself to swim a mile.

Have a good wet day

Dorothy

I just had to reply I swim 2 to 3 times a week more like 3 to 4 in the summer when I'm in training for my tri's. Anyways I hate interval workouts and I hate swimming IM. I would rather go in and swim a mile straight freestyle anyday. MY swim coach an I get in arguments all the time about this good naturedly of course. She gives my massive interval workouts cause she knows I'll cut them in half :7
Just funny how everyone is different. But I agree they kick my behind.

I would love your swim coach. I find swimming a mile in a 25 yard pool the most boring thing I have ever done. I love the variety of intervals and IM, but I also find I am pretty good at fly and breast, so I want to do that variety. There are people in our Masters group who love to just swim freestyle all the time. I do think the variety helps train the muscles, but also understand if you are training for open water, you need that freestyle training, because the only way to get better is to train it. Intervals sure help the level of fitness though!!

Dorothy & Truvaki-
Thank you!
I am encouraged. Swim workouts are new to me (even though I did compete in high school...um, 22 years ago!)
I don't particularly favor free style. I would do breast stroke always, but I know I should vary things. I didn't even try fly today, but will have to get up the nerve.
Thanks again, and feel free to share workouts any time!
Judy

May God always grant you a sunbeam to warm you... a moonbeam to charm you...& a sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you :)

Hi,

I don't post here very much. I am interested in incorporating swimming into my routine. Could someone give me a workout to start with? Also, as I never competitively swam in high school (don't gasp, I was a diver) can you explain what you mean by the times like5* 250 free on 4:30 (I understan the yardage and stroke, just not the time aspect)? Just as some background, I have gotten off track w/ my regular workouts, so I would consider myself in start up mode. Thanks!

5 * 250 free on 4:30 means you swim 5 intervals of 250 yards on a time of 4:30. When I did this I actually swam the 250s in about 4:10, therefore I had 20 seconds breather before starting the next. What is hard at first is to know your intervals. If you are beginning, start with some easy 50s. say 5* 50 free. Start the first 50 at the top of the pace clock, or if you are blind like me, at 12 on your waterproof watch. Swim it at a pace that you think you could do 5 in. Check your time at the end of the 50 and add 15 seconds. This would be your interval. So if it took you 1:30 to swim the 50, make your interval 1:45. So you would leave at the top, the 45, the 30, the 15, and the top of the pace clock. As you practice more, your intervals should become tighter, say making it on the 1:30, 1:15 or 1:00, or faster.

Look at www.usms.org. This is the masters swim sight and has workouts on it.

Hope this helps.

Dorothy

Your Welcome, BTW I never swam in high school either. I took lessons 3 years ago at age 38 to learn to swim, and have steadily worked up to the point I am at now. I really like the way it makes me feel and it has adhanced my crosstraining quite a bit.

Thanks to everyone for starting this, and especially Dorothy for the site!!

I've always been more comfortable in water than on land, and this is JUST what I need!! I was on the swim team in junior high, but moved on to a high school with no pool, so it's been about 15 years since I've swam competively, plus I quit smoking back in September, after being a smoker for 7 years..I've been dying to start up again (swimming that is, NOT smoking! :7), but have been saying I want to get in shape before I do..but I guess if I keep saying that, the day will never come..

I think I'll go to my local Masters office tomorrow and see about joining..I would LOVE to do this!!

Take care,
Tanya

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.