Suspension trainer

nsaeolian

Cathlete
o_OHi there. I have been looking at Nia Shanks' website and am interested, however, I don't know what a suspension trainer is. What is it? ( duh, I know, but I've never used one. )

I have a TRX and love it - it's a lot more difficult than it looks even though it's using body weight. I wish there were more DVD's for this as I'm not a fan of streaming due to poor internet connection. Although SSOD has great workouts using TRX and I have a few downloaded to my laptop.
Jamie

I'm another fan of suspension trainers. I have mine fixed to a hook on the ceiling. Great for progressing push ups, doing inverted rows, triceps dips etc. I find it very shoulder friendly, as it's possible to hold the handles in a neutral position. I'm currently doing Nia's 10 phase bodyweight programme. They're quick and convenient workouts.

I've noticed there's always a few of these up for sale on Craigslist. Buy it used and try it out before spending a lot of money. They aren't generally cheap. I have some springy tough straps that I got from a hardware store that are sold for strapping things into the back of your truck and made my own sorta dingus for inverted rows. I would only rec this if you are not going to use it for other exercises. lol. I don't own a truck or anything ;), but whatever the things are that I picked up, they are mighty strong and work quite well!!
I will also have to agree that TRX is NOT easy and should be respected as such. My first intro to it was in a group class where I ended up tearing muscles in my chest and I took a few weeks to recover. Ease into it and respect your asymmetries.

Another suspension training fan here! I have TRX also. I was introduced to it at a local gym where I do boot camp classes. They have the big metal suspension apparatus. At home I have mine fixed to a hook in the ceiling like Justine does. It is fantastic for the core, shoulders and everything. I love it!

Oh, and mine was given to me for my birthday by my son. He got me the "Bright Pink" edition which supports Breast and Ovarian cancer research. It's so pretty!

pinkhomekit_ribbonadded.jpg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.