Summer Reading Suggestion Needed

Stacy

Cathlete
I'm looking for something good to read as Janet Evanovich's #19 book which is usually out in June wont be out til November (and I didnt care as much for her newer series). There's a summer reading thread at videofitness but nothing piqued my interest. I dont care for historical fiction books, nor books that are too emotionally deep, such as books by Jodi Picoult. Also not a fan of fantasy or sci-fi. (I know I'm picky arent I!?) I'm looking for something to read after a long, stressful day at work.

Maybe a good mystery or drama or something Janet Evanovich-like without being too silly. I read the Dragon Tattoo books already and though slow in some areas, I thought they were pretty good.

Have you read Sue Grafton's series?? The main character is a female private investigator. The books go by alphabet, for example, A for Alibi, is the first book. The most recent book is V for Venegance.

I am also a sue grafton (character is Kinsey Milhone-sp?) fan. Fun, characters r adorable and plot suspenseful. Author uses the alphabet in the titles- a is for Alibi, etc.

Another great mystery writer is Robert b. Parker,IMO.

I dont know why I wouldnt read Sue Grafton's books in order but do they have to be?? Does each story leave you hanging? I dont know if I want to commit to the whole series....but if they're good I know I will!

They could be read out of order. There iis often a little stuff regarding Kinsey's personal life but it's more background. The focus is on the case that she is working and that is completed in each book.

Stacy, a series that reminds me so much of Stephanie Plum is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It begins with Dead Until Dark. I don't like fantasy or sci-fi at all, and I love these books, even though they are about vampires, etc. ;) I'm with you about reading something light in the evenings. I actually read mostly magazines in bed for this reason. :eek:

Another fan of Sue Grafton.

I also like Sara Paretsky. She writes about a female PI as well. The Harry Bosch Series from Michael Connelly is great as well as the Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child. You don't have to read these books in order.

If you are a fan of Swedish or foreign mysteries here are a couple of recommendations:

The Ice Princess - Camilla Lackberg

Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell (Wallander series)

Karin Fossum

Thx for all the suggestions! I dl'd Sue Grafton's "A" book, also Michael Connelly's to my Kindle. I'll have to check out the series by Charlaine Harris and Sara Paretsky too. I started Sue Grafton's book already and I'm really liking it. Exactly what I was looking for!! :)

I recently finished the Patrick Bowers series by Steven James. Loved it!! There are 5 books so far (and hopefully more to come): The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, and The Queen.

I also love the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. It's my all-time favorite!

If you're looking for easy-to-read but oh-so-entertaining, you might try the Chesapeake Bay series by Nora Roberts (there are 4 books - Rising Tides, Inner Harbor, Sea Swept, and Chesapeake Blue). I don't normally read Nora Roberts novels, but I adore this particular series.

Happy reading! :)

I loved the Patrick Bowers series too!! The next one called "Opening Moves" is due to be out around September, it will be a prequel. Then Sept 2013 "The King", and then Sept 2014, "Checkmate" (from news I've read). Cant wait!!

Nobody's recommended the Fifty Shades of Grey series yet? After I finish Emily St. John Mandel's The Singer's Gun I'm going back and RE-reading the entire Fifty Shades trilogy. Absolutely addictive, graphic yes, but it's my favorite love story, ever. And I HATE chick lit. Warning, though, make sure your house is clean and laundry done because once you start housework will feel like a major intrusion :).

Stacy, a series that reminds me so much of Stephanie Plum is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It begins with Dead Until Dark. I don't like fantasy or sci-fi at all, and I love these books, even though they are about vampires, etc. ;)

Ditto!! This series is SO much fun. I love it!

Stacey D, I need to check this 50 Shades series out. My friends keep talking about it and I feel so out of the loop. Sounds racy!

I always think you're looking for fiction suggestions, and I don't read or know much about those authors or titles, if you're looking for something different, I can recommend, Running with the Mind of Meditation by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche.

The principles of meditation & running are related well, it's not in depth on either subject, but it is enlightening, even for non-runners, I would think. :)

I recommend Alan Bradley's Flavia De Luce series about an 11 year old detective set in the 1950s in England. The first book is called The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and its won many awards - Sam Mendes wants to develop it as a tv series.

The books were recommended to me by the bookstore clerk and I wasn't sure I would like them (like you I am picky) but I just love them.

Flavia de Luce

Last edited:
I recommend Alan Bradley's Flavia De Luce series about an 11 year old detective set in the 1950s in England. The first book is called The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and its won many awards - Sam Mendes wants to develop it as a tv series.

The books were recommended to me by the bookstore clerk and I wasn't sure I would like them (like you I am picky) but I just love them.

Flavia de Luce

Flavia de Luce in the hands of Sam Mendes?!?!?!?!?!?! That's incredible and how wonderful! I look forward to seeing that in 3 years time on DVD! It's always a relief when a fabulous character gets picked up by a director with talent who can do her justice. Thanks for letting me know.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.