Summer Blast check in for week starting 7/26!

dutchgirl

Cathlete
Good morning everyone!

Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was very hot in my neck of the woods so I laid low to beat out the heat. I did do lots of cleaning, some laundry, and some gardening before it got too hot, though.

I was very discouraged on Saturday when I just about died doing Bootcamp. I had done Slim Series Firm It Up the day before and I'm not sure if that had something to do with the fact that my legs were like lead for Bootcamp and had no lift in them to speak of. The workout just plain hurt! I paused the DVD a ton to catch my breathe and stretch. I made it through but was very disappointed with my effort.

So I took yesterday off as a rest day and picked it back up today with Christi's Totally Cool Step which went pretty well. This week is PS for strength so I'll do Chest, Shoulders and Tri's tomorrow.

Hope to 'see' everyone at some point throughout the week!

Hello everybody,

I've been trying to catch up on cardio. This is what I've been doing so far:
Thursday - Step Blast + SJP abs
Friday - Step Fit + KPC abs
Saturday - CTX-UB split (warm up from PS-CST) + CTX-Pwr Cts abs
Sunday - CTX-Pwr Cts + Body Max Circuits only + ME abs

I have no idea what I want to do today. I'll figure it out later.

I've been really good with eating over the weekend. I can see more abs now, after just three days of better eating.

Has anyone pre-ordered Cathe's new series? I did! It sounds fabulous, with all those strength workouts. Con for me: I've been so focused on gaining strength, my endurance is shot. I could barely get through CTX-UB last weekend.

Have a great week, ladies.
Pinky:)

Hi Sabine,
Hang in there! I just ordered Bootcamp and it looks very tough from the video clip. I do have very bad workout days occasionally. It's just not there, the energy. Other days I'm great. So I know what you feel.

I'm the fellow half dutch girl you met on the Christi Taylor thread, now on page 2. I just wanted you to know I posted a reply to you there about where to get dutch imported food. :) By the way I'm also 25% german and 25% english, almost like you! :)

Take care!
Liz

Hi all! Well, last wekk was a total bust for me. My nephews came over on Thursday, and so I was able to get in a stationary bike ride, but that was it. So, last week was all cardio! So, this week I have to get in some strength work!
Well, this morning I got in MIC Hi low, then this afternoon I am going to do some sort of lower body workout, whether it's L&G ro MiS lower body, or PLB, is beyond me so far. It's whatever sounds good at the time. So, this week I will be trying to fit as much in 3 dyas as I can. So, twice a day Mon, Tues and WEd will be the plan.

I hope that you all had a great week, and that this one goes just as well.

Kathy

Hi all! Last week I took it pretty easy. I haven't done anything since Thursday except walk all over a water park with the boys on Saturday. It was over 100 degrees! The low 80s this week will be much better!

Now I feel rested and motivated after and easy week so I'm wanting to hit it this week. Today I think I'll get some weight work in...perhaps the KPC/L&G combo. Riding/spinning will also be important. DH and I have some good loops around our place so I'm sure he'll want to hit those after work. I think I need to get in some sort of a rotation so I don't just flounder around...I may go back to the M&F Hers rotation I did this spring.

Pinky, I pre-ordered the new series and I can't wait for more info! It'll be great for the short daylight hours we have during the winter. I'm afraid to see what my strength is like...I've only been doing endurance and only a day or two of that! I'll have to throw in PS series one of these weeks and see what happens!

Sabine, there are times o' the month that I have NO energy and I can't breathe during a workout...it is disappointing but I know it's only temporary.

Hi to everyone! Have a great week!

CinDee:)

Hello Fellow Summer Blast Buddies:)

This week looks like everyone has a plan. OK, all together now... We-can-do-it!

My plan is to continue the circuit training / interval training recomendation. This week the goal is to get in 3 interval workouts and two circuit workouts. This could be tough on my body with two tennis matches also. So here is the plan:

Sunday~ walk run intervals on treadmill 45"
Monday~ Boot Camp (as produced) and Tennis match~ both done & feel OK
Tuesday~ Yoga
Wednesday~ Interval work out choice
Thursday~ Boot Camp (as produced)
Friday~ Tennis match and Yoga
Saturday~ Interval workout choice
Sunday~ Rest

* Just wanted to add a note that I always dreaded BC and did it with the core at the end. today I did it as produced and it went well. The only difficult parts were first cardio, teminater climbers, sequential power kicks and ice breakers ( I always jump from the beginning of that one) I did everything as produced and even went heavier on some weights.:D

Edit to add: I put some pictures up on the Cathe addicts website. I am not brave enough to put out pictures of me in form fitting , fittness attire. LOL!!!!

Hey, eveyone!

Sabine, it took me forever to try Bootcamp, because it intimidated me, and then the first time I did it I had to lie down for a while afterwards. I tried it again a couple of months later, and did it 3 or 4 times in four weeks, and noticed significant improvement each time. Of course, that was in January and things were crazy from Feb-June with my health and my kids, so I have no clue if I could handle it now. I've been doing Slim Series almost exclusively for 3 weeks, and I'm doing well with it, but who knows on Bootcamp. I'll have to try it again soon. editted to add: I definitely have on and off days too though. For instance, when I did Mix it Up last week, towards the end of the workout they do 20 pushups on their knees, and I did 20 on my toes. But I have plently of days that I would be hard pressed to do close to that many on my knees.

Pinky, I preordered also, and I'm anxious to get them, even though it may be January or so before it happens. I'm still trying to decide about P90X. With the various discounts you can get and ebates, it actually would be pretty cheap, but do I need yet another set of workouts? Well, need may be the wrong word. If I ask that question, I may never get them!

Liz, Welcome!

Judy, where do we find the Cathe addicts website? It would be fun to be able to see everyone, and we could start with you!

Kathy and CinDee, hello!

My workouts this week so far, and planned, are:

Sat: warmup, segment 1 and cooldown of RS, and SS Cool it Off
Sun: SS Tear it Up
Mon: light stretching
Tues: SS Shape it Up
Wed: SS Firm it Up
Thurs:SS Mix it Up
Fri: SS Tone it Up

We're supposed to go to the beach this weekend, so I'll have no formal workout on Sat, and probably just something short on Sun, maybe Pilates or Yoga, or, if I'm feeling energetic, Tae Bo.

I hope everyone has a great week. Talk to you later.

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all the encouraging words about not taking my disappointment with my Bootcamp workout too much to heart. I've been having a really good week thus far so I may have been having an off day.

For the past couple of days I've done...
Tuesday- PS Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
Wednesday- Christi's Happy Hour Hi/Lo

Liz- Thanks for the recommendations on the dutch food sites. When I went on dutchfoods.com (I think that was the title) I realized that the ACTUAL store is only about 10 minutes away from my house!!!! How exciting is that!

Cindee- Of course you needed a mellow week after the big bike ride. Hope you're having a good week so far.

Lisa- What are you thinking about Slim Series? I'm currently alternating a week of Slim Series for weight work with a week of Cathe for weight work.

Great weeks Pinky and Judy! I bet all these circuit and interval workouts are kicking up your tennis game a notch or two, Judy!

Big hellos to everyone!

Hello everyone!

Pinky, I was wondering the other day, did you ever order P90X? I remember you asking about it a while back.

Sabine, I'm glad your week is going better. I'm enjoying Slim Series. I like Debbie's personality a lot. I've been doing SS for almost 3 weeks. The first week I only did it a few days, because I had to go out of town for work. Last week, I started in on the Slim Training rotation, which I guess is considered the hardest. Last week was tough. I had very little extra energy. I don't know if it was related to the workouts, but I also had headaches three days. I'm doing much better this week, although I won't do the whole week's worth of workouts because we'll be away Sat-Sun. They recommend not doing that rotation more than four weeks. I'll give it too more after this week. I was happy last week, because I lost 1/2 inch in my waist, which hasn't from about 26 inches since I lost all my weight 4 years ago. Today though, it was back to 26. It's going to be that time sometime in the next few days, so I'm hoping that's it.

I'm enjoying it because it's a change. I think that I will see some visible results, although I doubt they'll be dramatic. I miss Cathe though, and did through in a little of Rhythmic Step last Sat. to warm up before doing Cool it Off. I think alternating Slim Series and Cathe sounds like a good idea, and I may try it something like that after this rotation is up. Well, now that I've rambled on, what do you think?

Oh well, gotta get the boys in bed. Talk to you all later.

Good morning everyone,

Pulled a muscle in my back yesterday that is a lot better today. However, since I still 'feel' it I switched my schedule around and did Candlelight Yoga today instead of PS Legs and Shoulders. Hopefully my back will be all better tomorrrow so I can pick up with PS tomorrow.

Lisa, I'm also enjoying Debbie's personality too. While I like the workouts I doubt I'll ever do one of the rotations in the book that came with the package. The workouts are just a bit too similar and I imagine I would have to deal with both boredom and overtraining if I were to follow a SS rotation. When I do use Slim Series I find I like to alternate a SS workout with cardio. I think for August I'll continue to do alternating SS weight/Cathe weight weeks while also trying to work in more circuit workouts as well. I haven't done SJP or Circuit Max in forever!

As far as results, I know something is happening because I feel burning in the muscles while doing the workouts and got major DOMS from Shape It Up. But I do miss the visible pump I would get after a Cathe workout.

I also like how the Slim Series is really space friendly and uses such little equipment. Makes this set great for travelling! Okay, I'm done rambling now.

Big hugs to everyone!

Hi Sabine!

Which dutch food store do you live near? The site you mentioned doesn't exist. I'm thinking maybe the one in San Jose, hollandsbest.com?

I've never done any of the PS or Slow and Heavy. I have Power Hour and just got my new DVD's (Boot Camp and ME) and Circuit Max plus Cardio Kicks. I'm off to do ME now. Got them along with my preorder, of course! :)

What benefits do you get from doing the PS or SLow and Heavy versus the ME and PH workouts? I know I get strength gains from the ones I own now. I'd like advice before making future purchases.

Thanks and talk to you later,
Liz

Hi everyone,

The back is feeling so much better so today I did PS Legs and abs. WOW!!! Haven't done this workout in a while and boy, did I feel it. Felt great though.

Liz- I swear sometimes my brain is out to lunch. You are right, I meant to say Hollands Best. In fact, maybe I'll go over to the store later today and see if they have any pourable vla. I would FREAK OUT, in a good way, if I could get my hands on some.

What I love about PS and Slow and Heavy is that both are structured so that you can lift pretty darn heavy and really work on strength and mass gains. For example, in PS Legs today I did a set of 16 static lunges on each leg, then had a rest period worked into the routine. This allows the muscle to recover so that you can continue to go heavy for the next set of 16 reps. Slow and Heavy uses a 2-6 count (for squats, 2 counts down, 6 counts up) so you really burn and fatigue the muscle under some serious weight (Cathe uses 50 lbs on the barbell in S & H). While I love endurance work, since I'm typically not resting between sets and body parts, I never lift as heavy as I can with a slower approach like in PS or S&H. Did that make sense?

Big hugs and have a great weekend to the rest of the Summer Blast crew!

Hi All;
This week has been sporadic for me as far as staying on my rotation.
The kiddos here start school this coming Tuesday and I've been getting all the things they need plus having my 2 older kiddos schedules changed a bit. Have been going out just about each day in the early afternoon and not getting home till late. I've been having a extremely busy & tiring week.

I hope everyone here is having a good week.
Things should be settled down here hopefully by mid week next week

Hi Sabine! Thanks for the info on Slow and Heavy. I will eventually get those but for now am using ME, PH, Body Max, Supersets, and the Pyramids. I did ME for the first time yesterday and am very sore today, even though I usually don't get so sore anymore. I'm going to try just a little cardio today.

You are so blessed to live near Hollandsbest store. They do have vla, I've had it and it's very good. Not too sweet. You will be pleased. They have just about everything; I order from them a few times a year. I'm all the way in eastern PA, not near any Dutch stores that I can walk into.

Let me know what you think of the vla. I really do want to know how you'd compare it with the vla in the grocery stores in Holland. I haven't been over there for 13 years, since I was 17....I'd love to go back but I have 2 small children...maybe someday. Some of my relatives from Holland are visiting us this summer, actually next week ! :) I haven't seen them in 6 years.

Take care,
Liz :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.