Sue (Shammy902) - I need your advice/wisdom (others feel free to post too!)

Leela

Cathlete
I am feeling really great these days at 19 wks pregnant. I am really eager to kick myself back into the workout mode - but now that i've been OUT of commission for so long (I was told to NOT exercise my first trimester because of a previous miscarriage, and while I thought that was extreme, my pregnancy sickness ended up making the decision for me) - I am kind of unsure about what videos to pick up again after such a long hiatus.

You and I are nearly at the same points in our pregnancy, and I hoped that maybe hearing your workouts might provide me with motivation, inspiration and ideas.

I've decided to hit the beginners spin claSs at the gym starting next week because I love spinning and am not really that big out front yet - but I would love to pick up MIS or PS again and work with those - just kind of leery about "starting an exercise program" while pregnant. (It feels like starting over - since i've been out of commission so long).

Thanks !

Leela

Hi, I'm not Sue, but I did have some suggestions to offer--

I am in my 22nd week and consider myself an advanced exerciser but I have modified my routines and started using tapes that just felt "better" to do because they are not so intense. Here is what I do: MIS (decreasing the amount of weight I lift); Cardiokicks (modifying high impact moves to low impact); any of Cathe Step tapes (modifying high impact moves and eliminating hops and plyos); PS Legs (decreasing weights); Karen Voight Strong and Smooth Moves; Charlene Prickett's low impact tapes; Kathy Smith's step tapes; and power walking (which I try to do 2 minute intense intervals where I walk as fast as I can comfortably!). CIA has a new weight training video, Powerbar Training, that I have been using alot--it is a total body workout similar to BodyPump (but more challenging and thorough)--the tape focuses on lower weights with higher number or reps. Also, Powerflex is another good weight training tape to do, too. Hope these suggestions help. Good luck. Working out is making me feel so good!!! And helping me tremendously with my body image!

Thanks!! (m)

I appreciate this. I guess really what I was looking for (and you provided) was a response from someone who is intermediate or advanced. A lot of the pregnancy working out advice I see is really geared towards people who are in the beginner/early intermediate phase.

Do you still lie on your back for the MIS work, or have you eliminated those exercises. Although I can lie on my back now, I remember that with my daughter, by around 23 or 24 weeks it wasn't comfortable. In fact, I gave birth by getting into a squat and using the bed as support, since I had to hold that position for about 30 minutes. I did it because it was the most comfortable position for me at the time.

>weight training video, Powerbar Training,
>that I have been using

And I have it :). Haven't done it yet, obviously.

>Working out is making me
>feel so good!!! And
>helping me tremendously with my
>body image!

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Leela

RE: Thanks!! (m)

Well, sorry I haven't been around much, but I think you already have your answer. I really like to do Firm All Cardio, Karen Voight's/Elle MacPherson's tape too. I like that because it is a circuit tape with weights and good cardio. I am going to look into that CIA Powerbar tape, that sounds great! Glad you're feeling good! I'm still very tired!

Hey, do you know what you're having? We go next Tuesday (on my birthday) to find out. What a birthday this is going to be!

Take care,
Sue

Hi! When doing MIS or any chest work that requires lying flat on a bench, I put my weight bench on an incline. You can be creative and use big pillows to create an incline, too. Sometimes I substitute with push-ups, too. It is amazing to me how hard pushups are now with my extra body weight--very challenging!

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but another good weight training video that i have found fun and challenging during my pregnancy is PowerFlex.

have fun working out!

Thanks Sue!!

>Hey, do you know what you're
>having? We go next
>Tuesday (on my birthday) to
>find out. What a
>birthday this is going to
>be!
>
Happy birthday!!

I am having a girl! I have another u/s at 22 wks (May 4) because of the fact that they didn't get a good look at the heart (baby wouldn't cooperate position-wise)

>Take care,
>Sue

You too!!

Leela

Incline bench and dumbbells

Leela,

I am 28 weeks and still using MIS. At the beginning, I decreased the amount of weight, but have been able to maintain at that level throughout. I modify by inclining the bench for chest work, using dumbells instead of the barbell(much easier to get over the belly) and I leave out the quarter deadlifts (too hard on my back). Oh yeah, and I pause the tape and take a longer break if I feel like I need to recover and catch my breath.

If you have the Wedding video, you could also give that a try. I was using the weight portion during my first trimester when I wasn't feeling as strong. I usually split MIS, so when I want a total body workout I use FIRM Strength.

-ChristineK

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.