Stupid cortisone shot ...

jcm

Cathlete
Okay ... I had an injection in my shoulder today. Brief story... I've been in PT for pain in my shoulder. The other shoulder - went through the same thing 4 years ago and ended up having surgery (anchors and sutures and bone fragment removal). The usual procedure on the other shoulder and this injection is not only NOT helping (the one on the other shoulder did nothing) but it's actually making it worse. I keep reading some people get relief immediately or 2 to 3 days later. But my shoulder is actually worse. Decreased range of motion, more pain. Happened to anyone else?

I hate getting older. And I'm only 42.

Jen

I am sorry for the pain you've already endured and the pain you are experiencing in your shoulder right now. :( I had cortisone shots in my elbow several times a number of years ago. When the shots no longer provided relief, I ended up having tennis elbow debridement surgery because the pain was just unbearable. Unfortunately, a cortisone shot is nothing more than a band-aid, and after you have several of them, they are no longer effective. Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor? I have tendonitis and bursitis in my shoulder, and I see a chiro weekly. I'm still in pain, but I do feel improvement since we began therapy, and she assures me that it will improve. Keeping my fingers crossed! Hoping you find relief for your pain very soon! Take care.

Okay ... I had an injection in my shoulder today. Brief story... I've been in PT for pain in my shoulder. The other shoulder - went through the same thing 4 years ago and ended up having surgery (anchors and sutures and bone fragment removal). The usual procedure on the other shoulder and this injection is not only NOT helping (the one on the other shoulder did nothing) but it's actually making it worse. I keep reading some people get relief immediately or 2 to 3 days later. But my shoulder is actually worse. Decreased range of motion, more pain. Happened to anyone else?

I hate getting older. And I'm only 42.

Jen

I had the same thing. First my rt shoulder and the shot made it worse and pt did nothing. Had surgery but no damage from bone spur. 6 yrs later, lt shoulder same thing. But my dr. didn't make me do the shot or pt since it was the same. However, this time the spur caused a rotator cuff tear and had a clip to fix it. 2 months in sling and it SUCKED esp. since I'm lt handed. I don't believe there is much to do about the shot making it worse except tell your dr. I was 38 for my lt shoulder and 32 for my rt shoulder so age isn't always an issue. Mine is genetic (thanks dad)!!!!!! I hope you get to feeling better soon and get everything fixed.

Kim

Woke up this morning in unbelievable pain! Looked it up and sounds like I'm experiencing called a cortisone injection flair. Either inflammation or crystalization can cause increased pain that lasts 1 - 3 days. Didn't happen last time but guess that doesn't matter. Took ibu and at least the pain is tolerable now. I'll go back in 2 weeks, they'll schedule an MRI, I'll consult with the surgeon on May 3 ... blah blah blah. It's like watching a rerun of a television show :)

And I do see a chiropractor who is fantastic!

Thanks for the input guys!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.