Strong Lifts 5 X 5 or Starting Strength Aficionados?

112toGuru

Cathlete
Anyone ever follow either of these protocols for barbell training? Always seems like such an efficient way to strength train.

If so, what were your results over time? Every so often I find myself drawn to pure lifting systems, not for bulk or body building, just sheer strength.

There are quite a few programs written by women, for women, that focus on strength. Just off the top of my head, Nia Shanks. Justinef and mominVT, are using a strength program right now. When I finish my current rotation, I will be starting a strength program. Jen Sinkler, has a program, "Lift Weights Faster," that is more metabolic, but her husband has a program that is kick butt. Dave Dellanave, is his name. Justine and Roz, can give you more information. Hope they chime in. Working on strength, is always a good choice.

Check out the "Lifting Like Girls" check-in. Roz and Justine post their workouts. Will give you an idea.

Last edited:
I've not done either of those two protocols - but I have done similar. If you'd like to know about 'similar' let me know!

I'm not sure if a program written by women for women is all that important to me. I am familiar with both of these and was more interested in them not something similar or different, and interested the people who may have done them. Thanks for the additional info.

I am also quite keen to hear of others' experiences with barbell simple strength training programs. I know some folks currently trying out tactical barbell and I have been considering it. I am still an advanced novice and I like as well feel I may NEED a video to follow along with though. More and more though, at least with strength, I find myself venturing on my own from dvds to modify ie. ladder reps the dvd.

I am also quite keen to hear of others' experiences with barbell simple strength training programs. I know some folks currently trying out tactical barbell and I have been considering it. I am still an advanced novice and I like as well feel I may NEED a video to follow along with though. More and more though, at least with strength, I find myself venturing on my own from dvds to modify ie. ladder reps the dvd.
Thanks Elsie, hadn't heard of that, kind of like a sequel to the two I mentioned, & more malleable. I'm still motivated by videos, and canned plans for consistency. I can cut & paste with them.

Anyone ever follow either of these protocols for barbell training? Always seems like such an efficient way to strength train.

If so, what were your results over time? Every so often I find myself drawn to pure lifting systems, not for bulk or body building, just sheer strength.

I haven't personally done Strong Lifts, but it is one of the protocols very frequently recommended on another fitness board I follow. People seem to like it (Wendler is another that is recommended often).

I'm guessing that would be a Crossfit forum? following along that thought, the Tactical Barbell Elsie mentioned kinda of does read like crossfit-ish. Not a bad thing. Where they put things together, all in one, I have separated them out, yearly or seasonally, at my uniquely pedestrian pace. Maybe that's why I like the idea of it, I can do the same thing over and over again.

I'm guessing that would be a Crossfit forum? following along that thought, the Tactical Barbell Elsie mentioned kinda of does read like crossfit-ish. Not a bad thing. Where they put things together, all in one, I have separated them out, yearly or seasonally, at my uniquely pedestrian pace. Maybe that's why I like the idea of it, I can do the same thing over and over again.
From what I understand Tactical Barbell is more of the heavy lifting one and Tactical Barbell II is conditioning/endurance.

I was just looking at one and didn't realize there were different editions & II.
I emailed him a little while ago and he explained that to me when I was inquiring about squat racks/how practical these programs are for home based lifters. He explained that II is conditioning and definitely does not need a squat/half rack. For the first one, it can be used but he said that it wasn't necessary.
I want to get a squat rack myself but do not have the room and might be on the midst of moving across the country in 4 months. lol.

I would need to go to a club to get the most out of it; conditioning though, may have to look into that one. I'm trying to downsize, I don't want any more equipment, maybe a new yoga mat, that's portable. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.