stretch mark cream

FitNurseRN

Cathlete
So i have been reading in magazines all these different creams you can buy to prevent stretch marks. I am debating on buying something like this but i am curious if they actually work or not. I have been good with drinking plenty of water and i put lotion on after my showers and what not. Do you think that these products truley help?? If so what products would you recommend?

melissa

I used the Palmer's brand for stretch marks. It's not very expensive, you can get it at Wal-Mart. I didn't get any stretch marks from my pregnancy--but I am not sure it was directly from using this cream. I read alot about stretch marks when i was pregnant, I was obsessed with NOT getting them! What I can give you for advice would be to try and keep your weight gain steady, stretch marks generally come from gaining/losing alot of weight very quickly. I think applying lotion daily--no matter what it is, will help keep the skin from drying out--which may lead to stretch marks. I walked 20 mins 5 days/week, gained 35 lbs, and have no stretch marks. I have also heard, they can be genetic. if your mom had them, etc, you may have them.

I used lotions and potions...I have no stretch marks. Really, look at your mother if you can...if she has them, most likely you will too! Stretch marks are genetic. But, the lotions still feel and smell good! It is like a little treat!!

I have heard they are genetic also. But I still feel that I have to put something on just for peace of mind. So I use pure vitamin E oil in the am and that palmer's belly butter in the evening. I didn't get any stretch marks with my first and my mom and sister have none. I hope that you dodge them also!

I have tried Palmers, Cocoa Therapy and Mederma. None of them worked for me . . . I still got stretch marks, but then again, so did my mom. I hear it has more to do with your genetics than the creams.

Chrissy

Hello Melissa,

So good to "talk" to you. I am the moderator of this forum and am in agreement with the other posters. Those stretch marks are actually in a layer of skin that the creams can't really reach. There is also a BIG genetic component. The creams are a special treat though and can really help with the "itchy" skin that a lot of women experience as their bellies stretch to accommodate that growing bundle of joy.

Keep us posted and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Sheila

I got very mild stretch marks on my hips with my first; I was absolutely devestated! But, right after delivering my son I was actually proud of my flabby, stretch mark covered body because it made such a beautiful miracle. (and this is coming from somebody who's pretty vain) Don't worry, they will fade if you get them; My son is two, and you can't even see them any more.

Oh, and I bought all sorts of creams...they don't work!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.