Static Shock touching my DVD player

ocean laura

Cathlete
I was working out the other day (I must have been skipping around pretty good) because when I went to touch my DVD player, I received a HUGE static shock. It traveled up my arm and to the top of my head. It actually turned the player off. When I went to turn it back on, I found that the front buttons no longer worked (I had to turn it on with the remote). The timer display wouldn't work anymore either, which really bums me out 'cause I like to see how long I have been exercising. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if there was anything I could do to reset the machine (I already tried unplugging it). Thanks! Laura

The static shock may have taken out that part of your DVD player permanently. With the remote you should be able to "DISPLAY" and have an on screen display.

Winter tends to increase the potential of static electricity, especially if your heating system dries the air. If you can increase the humidity to 60 percent or higher, you can eliminate static electricity.

Laura, Dave is right. Static electricity and chips--not a good mix. You may have zapped a chip (or two), in which case your display panel is probably history. On the upside, you are probably fortunate it didn't do more damage. At least it still works.

MissL

Thanks for the replies! But, darn,darn,darn. If I get a new one, what is to prevent this from happening again to the new player? I workout in my basement, so it seems weird that I will have to run a humidifier down there when all summer we run the DEhumidifier. Oh well, thanks again. Laura

Well, one thing you can do is remember to always touch some metal object just before you touch anything electronic. That should do it. That way if you have any static electricity built up you can "get it out of your system" so to speak. The hard part is remembering. ;) Sorry about your display. :-( x(

MissL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.