Squats

Candice2015

Cathlete
I have determined that I am not very good at squats and really need to correct my form and get it right. I have only followed DVDs for my exercises so that may be the case. I have searched online and there are so many different takes on the best way to correct your form and do them right. Does anyone have any that worked for them in learning good form? Thanks.

Get under the bar, place it on the meaty part of your upper back. Not on any bone. Lift the bar off the hooks and step back. Place your feet in a comfortable stance, one that is most natural for you, while you are learning. Later you can try different stances. Tilt your chin up, and find a spot on the wall above eye level, this will help to keep your back straight. Never look at the floor. With the weight in your heels, start bending your knees, hinging at the hips push your butt to the back wall and down. Knees stay behind your toes, and pointing in the same direction as your toes. Do not let your knees bow in. Go as low as is comfortable for you. Later, you can take it a$$ to grass. Hold for a second. Push through your heels, bring it back up, unhinging your hips, and straightening your knees. One squat done, nice job. Just keep practicing!

Last edited:
Thanks. I understand what I am supposed to do, but when I try and look in the mirror it doesn't look like videos I have seen. The only time I seem to get the right positioning is if I hold onto a pole or something. Do I just need to build up hip flexibility?

Thanks. I understand what I am supposed to do, but when I try and look in the mirror it doesn't look like videos I have seen. The only time I seem to get the right positioning is if I hold onto a pole or something. Do I just need to build up hip flexibility?

If you need to hold onto a pole or counter, to keep from falling backwards, I would try this: Hold a heavy dumbbell or kettlebell in the goblet position. (both hands holding the weight in front of your chest.) Then squat, using the heavy weight as a counter balance. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you feel you need to hold on a pole while practicing without weight, you need to improve balance too.

That said, Have a friend who hold a clean form to spot you. Video yourself and if you want, post it here!;):)

I agree with what others have posted. I practiced with a broomstick! But, my form got much better when it dawned on me, that for me, Cathe's rep speed is too fast. Once I slowed down and made sure my form was good for every rep and was good with not thinking I had to match her rep for rep, I got alot more benefit from my squats and felt the exercise is alot more areas.

If you have to hold on to something, it may be a lack of ankle dorsiflexion - meaning you have trouble staying upright. Goblet squats (like Karen mentioned) would be good. Or try raising your heels very slightly (eg on a weight plate).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.