Squat modifications due to low back pain (due to herniated discs)

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I posted this question on the "ask Cathe" forum as well, but not sure if the masses read that forum.....

I recently purchased STS and am concerned about the heavy weights for squats. I have very bad discs in my low back (had surgery at 26 and have put off another surgery for the past 2 year and am currently 38). I do squats in other exercise videos, for example I match Cathe pound for pound in Butts and Guts. But to go heavier, will put me at risk of injury. I have remained surgery free (and most days pain free) by making smart choices, working on my core and stretching.

What advice do you have for me in terms of modifications to get the same results as STS would provide? I have no other limitations in terms of intensity, and high impact is no problem.

Thanks all!!!

Susan

Hi Susan,

Easy peasy answer: the only time you lift heavy weights for lower body in STS is in Meso 3 IF you choose the Squat Rack option. But Cathe is very clever, and has also provided a Plyo Legs option for those who do not/ can not do the heavy squat rack version. Meso 1 legs are all done with quite light weights; Meso 2 you pick up the weight, but not by much; and Meso 3 Plyo Legs are about explosive power in the legs, and hence, lighter weights are used (if any). If you're okay with the Butts 'n Guts weight loads, then you're good to go for STS! Enjoy!

Sandra

Thanks Sandra,

I was assuming I needed to use a heavier load. When I did my 1 rep max test for squats it came out to about 100 lbs (I lifted about 50 pounds 20 times, more than I should have lifted due to my back but I could have gone heavier and/or longer based on my strength)

So with a 1 rep max at 100 lbs (at a minimum) I assumed I needed to be squating 60lbs plus (60% of max). No way I should be doing that with my back. It is so aggravating to be held back by my back and not by my strength :mad:

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.