Speaking of Training Barefoot

Afreet

Cathlete
(OK, I know nobody was really talking about it, but I've been thinking about it since the Nike Free Rave posting).

Anyone tried a pair of these??

Lisa

ooooooh, that gives me the heebie jeebies!!! I can't stand having things between my toes. Flip flops are bad enough, but btwn all my toes? Shudder!

Nan

Speaking of running barefoot, I was walking in the park yesterday, and a girl ran past me totally barefoot. We were both on the gravel track, and then she ran over to the pavement and continued to run there. Is this common? I never saw anything like it! Ouch.

lynda

Featured at the Aug RT by Jodelle

Here's one of the Aug RT attendees showing her Vibram Five Fingers
1_Jodelle-Vibram-web.gif

* Cynthia *

Well, they look pretty cute on her!

There is a whole barefoot movement happening (on a very small scale, I'm sure). I'm pasting some links below. I'm on the fence a bit here: I believe that using the Nike Frees and doing some of my lower-impact workouts, like kickboxing and weightlifting, really did improve the strength of my feet and may be helping me to prevent some injuries that I used to get pretty commonly (shinsplints, for example). But I dunno about running barefoot on gravel! Sounds painful!

Like with most health-related issues, there are plenty of legitimate-sounding sources and explanations on both sides. That being said, here are a couple of links both pro-barefootedness.

http://runningbarefoot.org/
http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

I totally want to try the Vibram Five Fingers. A lot of people on the Crossfit boards are big on these.

I'm very intrigued by the concept of barefoot running, but there too much broken glass and dog poop to avoid by going natural barefoot.

I've been doing more of my indoor kettlebell workouts barefoot lately, and I'm liking it.

I haven't been able to do anything barefoot since my 11th grade health class, when I was informed that you can pick up all kinds of parasites through your feet if you don't wear shoes. :eek:

Except at the beach. Wearing shoes down the shore is just, I dunno, NOT DONE! :cool:

I have several friends who where the vibram shoes for martial arts and running. There was also a review of them in the latest issue of Runner's World magazine. The reviewer thought they were great for shorter distances (less than 6 miles) but they did take some getting used to.

I generally do weight workouts barefoot and wear cushy shoes for indoor step or hi-lo. I am thinking about these for my martial arts class and to wear on my shorter running days just to give my feet some variation when I run - which I think is healthy for them.

I think watching guys continually spit as they run would be enough of a deterrent for me. (Why do they do that? I've never felt an overwhelming amount of saliva in my mouth. Do men produce more or are they just pigs? I dread getting hit by a poorly-aimed projectile). Yeah, and the un-scooped dog poop, too. Gross.

lynda

I have to wear sneakers with orthotics all the time, even indoors, because of plantar fasciitis and other foot issues. For the time being, everything I wear has to have arch support. I can't imagine working out barefoot!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.