Sound issues with Live

I’ve got no sound on live just now. I use the app on my iPad. No sound on my iPhone either.
I don’t use a PC since I don’t use this for working out.
Thanks

Same here. It’s incredibly frustrating. My guess is that the app for some reason thinks Bluetooth headphones are connected and therefore doesn’t play out of the speaker. But that’s just a guess. Can this be fixed please?

Hi Helen Rudge27, I just tested several Cathe Live videos on my iPhone and all have sound and played fine. The app is connected to the two-volume buttons on the left side of the phone. You might just need to press the upper volume button, but can you let me know if this is or isn't the issue you're seeing?

I use a speaker connected via bluetooth. I’d checked the volume, disconnected the speaker and nothing worked. I deleted the app and got it to work after reinstalling the app. However the sound cut out midway through a workout which was annoying but then was ok after restarting. The sound is still out of synch though which it was before the switch over of the server.

Hi Helen Rudge27, Our Cathe Live app doesn't really have any code that pertains to external bluetooth devices. We use the native iOS Apple player and bluetooth is controlled through the native player. I see you were having sync issues before we moved to Akamai and that tells me that something strange is happening. I'll have Curt do some testing on his external speakers after this weekend. Curt is very knowledgeable about Apple devices and might be able to shed some light on this. Also, can you try playing Cathe Live through your web browser using your bluetooth speakers and see if the same thing happens?

Hello Helen Rudge27, in general, Bluetooth speakers are not recommended to use while watching video because of their inherent delay. Older versions of Bluetooth technology have longer delays than newer versions. If your Apple device is fairly recent it will contain Bluetooth 5, which is the newest available, however many Bluetooth speakers only contain Bluetooth 3 and 4. Newer and/or more expensive speakers may contain Bluetooth 5. So even though your iPad or iPhone may contain the latest and greatest, the version in the speaker becomes the limiting factor and will introduce more of a delay, causing audio/video sync problems to become more apparent. If your speaker and phone are both using Bluetooth 5, the sync issue should be near imperceptible.

Here is a quick discussion on Reddit about Bluetooth delay/latency that might help explain it better:
Also, here is an article that discusses how Apple has attempted to address the problem: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/06/18/ios-13-wireless-audio-sync/

If you could let us know what iPhone, iPad, and speaker(s) you are using via Bluetooth, we can investigate a little more thoroughly. If you have the ability to plug in your speaker via cable to your phone/tablet, this could help in eliminating the sync problem.

Same here. It’s incredibly frustrating. My guess is that the app for some reason thinks Bluetooth headphones are connected and therefore doesn’t play out of the speaker. But that’s just a guess. Can this be fixed please?

Hi MariaLurdes, We have not been able to reproduce this, but perhaps I'm not clear on what you're saying? Are you using an external speaker or are you referring to the speakers on your device? Also, what type and model of iPhone and or iPad are you using?

Also, do you perhaps have your mute switch on the side of your iPhone set to mute?

Last edited:
I've chimed in elsewhere, but Cathe Live has no audio on my iPad 4 or iPhone 7. This is a new development since a week or so ago.

If I use the Airpods, I can hear the workouts, but I don't want to use the Airpods.

I've deleted and reinstalled the apps, rebooted both devices, still no sound. Disconnecting Bluetooth doesn't help.

Cathe On Demand works fine for both.

Hi Winifredtgerlily,

Do you perhaps have your mute switch on the side of your iPhone set to mute?

I’m not having problems playing Cathe Live through my iPhone. I am having issues playing Cathe Live through my 2019 version iPad Pro. If I simply play a live workout, no sound comes out of the device (the internal speaker). I have to connect my AirPods to hear the workout. I don’t have this problem with Cathe OnDemand. I don’t have the mute switches on. This is a new problem that developed after the switch to Akamai.

Hi MariaLurdes, I just tested on our iPad Pro and didn't have any problems. Our iPad Pro has a 12.9 in screen. Can you tell me the size of your screen? I want to know if we're testing on the same unit. Also, have you tried turning off bluetooth and are you running the latest iOS?

Hi, thanks for your responses. My iPad Pro is 11 inches and I’m running iOS 13.3.1. I just turned off my Bluetooth and tried Cathe Live again, but still no sound. I just tried the same thing on an older iPad I used to use and same pattern—sound is fine with Cathe OnDemand, but no sound with Cathe Live.

Hi MariaLurdes, can you try playing Cathe Live on your iPad using your browser instead of the app and let me know what happens? Also do also have a computer with a wired connection you can test on?

Hi Helen Rudge27, Our Cathe Live app doesn't really have any code that pertains to external bluetooth devices. We use the native iOS Apple player and bluetooth is controlled through the native player. I see you were having sync issues before we moved to Akamai and that tells me that something strange is happening. I'll have Curt do some testing on his external speakers after this weekend. Curt is very knowledgeable about Apple devices and might be able to shed some light on this. Also, can you try playing Cathe Live through your web browser using your bluetooth speakers and see if the same thing happens?
Hi it’s still the same when I choose not to use my speaker I have no sound ! I use other streaming services and this is not an issue. I didn’t ha e any issues with live before the update. Live also freezes occasionally and I did t have this issues before. I can’t rewind easily now as I could before. Thanks

Hi Helen Rudge27, but I need you and MariaLurdes to do is to play a video on your device that is having an issue using your browser and not the app. This will tell us if the problem is with the app or not. Currently, this problem could be in the app, wireless, device,router, or with something at your iSP. We need to narrow down the list to isolate the issue.

Thanks. I tried playing Cathe Live via my browser (Chrome) and the iPad speakers. At first no sound played out, but then I noticed that the mute button on the bottom right was selected. I unmuted and then it played fine. Then I tried the Cathe Live app but, unfortunately, still no sound from my iPad speaker. I hope this helps.

Hi Helen Rudge27, but I need you and MariaLurdes to do is to play a video on your device that is having an issue using your browser and not the app. This will tell us if the problem is with the app or not. Currently, this problem could be in the app, wireless, device,router, or with something at your iSP. We need to narrow down the list to isolate the issue.
Hi thank you for you reply. I have just tried live via the website on my iPad and there was sound but when I used the app no sound. My speaker is not switched on or connected at this time. So it seems for me it’s an issue with the app. Thanks

Hi MariaLurdes, thank you for testing and I think and hope we have solved the mystery. I know your problem is on an iPad, but let me digress and explain how this issue is related to the mute switch on an iPhone as this may help others. If you have the mute switch turned on your iPhone you will not get any sound. This is because the new Cathe Live app doesn't override the mute switch like it did in the previous version. This is because Apple now recommends that developers not override the mute switch as we did in the past.

Now, let me tell you how I think this pertains to your problem. Your iPad Pro doesn't have a mute switch, but it has a setting that does the same thing. In the attached image you will see the "Mute Switch" icon in red. This does the same thing as the mute switch on your phone. You need to turn this icon off. This should solve your problem.

We did some testing here and found that when the mute icon on an iPad is turned on the Cathe Live app will not have any sound while if you play Cathe Live in a browser it will play fine with sound. This seems to be exactly what is happening to you. Let me know if this solves your issue?

Hi thank you for you reply. I have just tried live via the website on my iPad and there was sound but when I used the app no sound. My speaker is not switched on or connected at this time. So it seems for me it’s an issue with the app. Thanks

Hi Helen Rudge27, I think we have solved this issue. See my response to MariaLurdes above. Can you let me know if this solves your issue?

Oh wow, that was absolutely it! Problem fixed. I’m so grateful to you for tracking this down because it was driving me nuts. I wish I knew your name, but for now I’ll just say thank you so much, Forum Administrator!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.