Something Bad For You That You Gave Up...But You Still Miss It?

carres1973

Cathlete
Another thread got me thinking, with all of you healthy ladies and gents, is there something you know is bad for you that you gave up for the good of your health, but that you still miss anyway?

I quit smoking 3 years ago...and still miss it terribly. I always say, if I am ever diagnosed with a terminal disease, I am starting up smoking again the very day I am diagnosed!

Anyone else have a bad habit or something else you gave up that was bad for you that you still miss?

Carrie

I miss smoking too - le sigh! :(

Congrats to both of us for quitting since it's such a Hard Habit to Break (now I have the Chicago song in my head - this is not a complaint).

Last edited:
I don't miss the smoking at all, quit over 13 years ago, and truly can't even tolerate being around it.

Does short term stuff count? For 3 months I have not eaten sugar, well, other than literally a bite of a dessert just to taste it. I definitely miss that, but not as much as I thought I would. I don't think I'll go forever without sugar, just experimenting with some stuff right now. I also cut out bread and grains, sometimes I really just want a big sandwich or pizza.

I miss wheat terribly, but it exacerbates my seasonal allergies, and makes me fatigued, bloated, achy and cranky. So even though it's worth it to avoid it, I'm mad at my body for being intolerant of it.

I've never been a smoker, but a physician I used to work with quit a 20-year smoking habit over 20 years ago (obviously he's an older gent) and he said he still has wonderful dreams where he's smoking, and that whenever he has a health problem, some little part of his brain thinks, "Oh good, maybe it's terminal and I can start smoking again!" I can't imagine how hard it is to stop smoking, kudos to those of you who have quit!

Diet Pepsi, and/or caffeine. I didn't set out to give it up, my body started having a reaction to caffenie.

Oh, do I miss it when we go out to eat. I miss it all the time. I will occasionally have a Diet Sierra Mist, but it's just not the same. :p

Wow! Props to you two for giving up sugar and diet sodas. I know both are bad for me. I cannot see how I could ever stop drinking my Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee and don't like unsweetened tea...what would I drink with my breakfast? Yes, that's right. I drink Diet Coke with breakfast!

Carrie

I gave up caffeine over two years ago. My body slowly became intolerant to it, but I didn't give it up completely because I had withdrawal symptoms that knocked me on my butt. When I became sick, I used it as an opportunity to quit. I THOUGHT it would bring only benefits, but I haven't noticed any positive side effect of being off of caffeine. What I miss most is the fantastic work I did while under the influence - cleaning, art work, brainstorming, reading, homework. Nothing gives me the boost that caffeine did.

I don't really know the disadvantages of normal caffeine consumption. Coffee is something I would never give up, it brings me true enjoyment every morning, and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Maybe in massive quantities it's bad, not sure, but too many people around the world drink a lot of coffee everyday, so it's hard to pinpoint issues from that arise from drinking coffee.

I did at some point just stop drinking diet soda, but I really just stopped liking it, I was also finding it was giving me stomach aches, so I swithched to Iced tea and water, and haven't looked back. On those very few occasions I crave a diet soda, I'll have one, but usually it's something like a Boylans diet cherry or root beer, they do taste good when you don't drink them often.

Diet Pepsi, easily. I still have cans left in my fridge from giving it up less than two weeks ago.

Cheese. I haven't given it up entirely, but I really only have an occasional wedge of Laughing Cow lite, or some Swiss on a Subway veggie. But what I miss is a French baguette with some great soft cheese . . . and plenty of it.

Sigh.

Wheat for me, same as Bobbi-B. I'm pretty much gluten free but I will occasionally have something "wheat-laced" and I pay for it every time. I really miss it, but my body can't handle it. :(

Regarding the smoking, I've never smoked, but my friend quit 30 years ago and she said that if she only had a few weeks/months to live, the first thing she'd do would be to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes. My DH quit 7 yrs ago and he also dreams about smoking sometimes. How horrible that it has such a hold on people... It's amazing that anyone can quit, and I applaud everyone who does!

I gave up Diet Coke a couple years ago and missed it terribly, but now I can't stand the taste of it. However, lately I've for some reason started drinking Coke Classic and now I think I'm becoming addicted to that! I don't have it every day, but I want it.... :mad:

Another thread got me thinking, with all of you healthy ladies and gents, is there something you know is bad for you that you gave up for the good of your health, but that you still miss anyway?

I quit smoking 3 years ago...and still miss it terribly. I always say, if I am ever diagnosed with a terminal disease, I am starting up smoking again the very day I am diagnosed!

Anyone else have a bad habit or something else you gave up that was bad for you that you still miss?

Carrie

I'm with you on this one, I gave up smoking years ago ( that being said I still might borrow one when out having a beer) wish they could invent a safe and non-stinky cigarette :)

SUGAR

I gave it up today and I'm doing really well as I haven't had any at all since I came on here.

I also gave it up yesterday..............
and Firday
and Thursday
and .........................

I'm starting to see a pattern developing here.

Well, I pretty much give it up everyday - but I'm not really great at it.

When I started visiting here I was going to call myself SUGARJUNKIE but I thought everyone was a superfitty veggie-vegan healthaholic and it'd set me apart.

By the way I read the cooke thread first when I was surfing the posts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.