Sienna Joy aka "Sprout" is finally OUT!! :-)

cyclinggirl

Cathlete
Funny, I said she'd rather be fashionably late than make a big dramatic entrance...well, her entrance was chock full of drama but we're so thrilled that she's here and healthy!!! :)

Despite multiple attempts at induction and natural birth, Sienna was delivered by emergency c-section on Saturday, November 24th at 10:08am. She's an adorable little pink peanut with big blue eyes and auburn & blonde hair.

She arrived weighing in at 5lbs 8oz and measuring 18.5 inches. They found that she had almost no amniotic fluid left, they're still trying to figure out why I passed my NSTs that day, fluid levels were supposedly fine. They think she should have been delivered 2 weeks ago and might have weighed 1-2 lbs more but lost the weight as my placenta became less efficient. She's resilient!

For those who are curious, I was 42 weeks + when they induced. I over-responded to the drugs and created long and strong contractions with very little recovery in between. They called it a "storm of contractions", so she didn't get much of a break. Her heart rate slowed with each contraction and didn't recover quickly. Plus, I was barely dilated. So after a few hours of attempts with various ripening and induction agents it was decided she needed to get out another way.

Despite all of these things Sienna scored a 9 on her Apgars and has become a champion nurser!! She's HUNGRY and extremely motivated to put on weight -- during the 4 days in the hospital the nurses all called her a feisty peanut who knows what she wants (food!). She's been a quick study with latching on and great at letting me know what she needs. In dealing with her marathon of hunger we've supplemented her with 1 oz cups of formula in between. With such vigorous feedings we want her to get some extra nutrition...she burned a lot of calories trying to get through the engorgement phase -- it's tough work!! :9

She gets weighed today, so we're hoping she has put on a few ounces. She dropped below 5lbs, but now that my milk has come in we're hoping the numbers go up quickly . We'll see...

...off to nurse again...Happily!!!!!!

Manmohini, I can't wait to hear from you!! I hope you're doing well and your bundle is here. Nico and Sienna are waiting to hear more about their November baby bud. :)

Arancini, congrats to you again!! I'll touch base with you off-line...

Best,
Steph

p.s. I'm re-posting this on my induction thread too...so people get the update.

RE: Sienna Joy aka

Steph,
Congrats on your brand new addition to your family!! I am happy to hear that you have a beautiful healthy girl. I am counting the days until my decides to make his big entrance into the world. Hope you and Sienna Are doing well and keep us posted

melissa

congratulations! i am so happy to hear about your beautiful little girl and lgad you are all on the mend!

Congratulations on your new baby girl!! I'm glad that she is here safely! :) Sorry to hear you had to have a c-section, but at least you both are safe and healthy! Glad the breasfeeding is going well!!!

Congrats again! :)

Wooohoooo, Steph and Sienna!!! Congratulations and FINALLY!!! What a beautiful name you picked!

I'm so glad she's doing well and that nursing is going well. If you need any information on nursing, kellymom.com has a lot of good information!

Congrats again!
Chrissy

Oh gosh, Steph, I'll write more later, but the same exact thing (well, almost) happened to me. The final outcome: An 8 pound, 1 ounceTamal Kaviraj arrived on November 30, about 1 1/2 weeks after his due date. I am exhausted. Just arrived home from the hospital after 6 long days. Like you, I trained for natural childbirth, labored three long intense days, broke the bag of waters, was talked into pitocin to speed the contractions, the baby did not respond well to the "storm of contractions" (neither did I given I labored naturally until I reached 7), and I was whisked into the emergency room early Friday morning to have my baby delivered via C section. By that point, I didn't care how he got out, as long as he got out.

Anyways, our experiences sound so similar, and I'd like to talk more about them when I have more energy. Suffice it to say, I don't regret how any of it happened because my sprout makes up for all of it. I'm totally captivated.
Manmohini

More similarities, Steph. Tamal latched immediately and during the 3-day colostrum phase turned out to be a fiesty feeder as well. I gave him his first nickname: Jaws. By the end of last night, he was so starved waiting for my milk to come in that we supplemented with a wee bit of formula to take the edge off of his appetite. Three hours later, my milk came in, and the little guy loves to suckle.

Despite the obvious horrors of C-section, the bonding has been just perfect. My husband bonded immediately with the boy in the operating room by singing a song we sang to him in utero. Tamal immediately stopped crying. My husband held him the rest of the time while I was being sewn and stapled. 23 minutes later, I was in the recovery room enjoying skin-to-skin contact and a quick and easy latch. We haven't left Tamal for one minute ever since. This was what we especially wanted out of the birth--a healthy baby and opportunities for immediate attachment. I never thought we could get that with a C-section, but we did. (Of course, I would only recommend a C if the baby's life is in jeopardy).
Manmohini

Congratulations to both of you! I am sorry it sounds like the delivery did not go as planned, but you both got beautiful children out of it! I am very happy for the both of you. Enjoy these beautiful cuddling/bonding days. There is nothing like it and the memories will stay with you forever!

Hurray for you both!! Nico is in his sling as I type this and sends his regards as well :) I am glad both of you made it through with happy and healthy babies.

I will touch base again soon ...

arancini

Congrats Manmohini and welcome Tamal!!! :)

I'm so glad you're both safe and healthy, I had you in my thoughts and prayers. Tamal sounds robust and healthy (8lbs is great!) and you take the gold medal for laboring. WOW!!! Sounds exhausting. They induced me on a Friday night and we ran into to trouble right away, it was pretty dramatic with them rushing in with oxygen etc. So they went through that multiple times until the early morning. I got to rest a bit in between but my natural contractions still caused Sienna's heart rate to drop and recover slowly, they thought she had a cord issue. She was born shortly after their last attempt, so my whole labor was only 12 hours. I can't imagine going on and on like that, you must have been relieved at the mention of a c-section by that time. :)

Sienna is low birth weight (5.2 oz today) & has none of the brown fat to live off of that most babies are born with so the nursing/feeding have become critical (extra pressure to succeed in packing on her ounces).

She's nursing like crazy (sleeping now after ~ 2 hours of non-stop feeding & some dozing). I just got my pump so I'm hoping to pump off more so she can eat from Dad and my milk will hopefully come in more abundantly. We've given up most of the formula supplements b/c it was tough on her belly and I was concerned about it reducing my milk.

Today is really the first day she let me put her down and into a little seat to give me a break...until now she's been squawking about a swing, car seat, bouncy seat, boppy...just wants arms and to be held. So I've been nursing/carrying her everywhere...even though I'm supposed to be taking it easy after the c-section. If I sat still every time she nursed I'd have bed sores, she's been fairly non-stop, lots of cluster feeding in a.m. and late p.m. :)

But she's adjusting, and the fact that she's so light does make it easier to tote her around. She's going to LOVE the natural sling when I get it, I want to try some on with her before buying...so we have to go out for that and her car seat is too big for her little body -- doesn't fit her comfortably yet so she screams (unless she's already asleep). I have another carrier a friend gave me but it lands too close to my stitches -- not comfy.

Arancini, what type of sling do you have? Was it easy to learn to use it and put Nico in safely? I love that the natural scarf style slings don't have any buckles or sharp objects to poke mom or baby with -- sounds FAB to me. Also, how is your milk coming in now? Is the extra pumping doing the trick? Hope so, I totally understand how challenging it can be - I wish you the best of success. I'm sure it will all come together soon.

Chrissy, thanks for note and compliments on the Sienna's name. :) It really suits her. How is little Ms. Ella doing? She must be so big now!

Morris, Marsha, Melissa, and Robin thanks for all the kind thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement -- it helps!!

My best to all of you,

Steph

Whew - Nico just let me set him down for the first time today. It's much easier to type with 2 hands! He was poking his head out of his sling earlier ... (BTW - Steph, I have an Ellaroo that I really like - and as Nico gets a little bigger it will be even better ... check out the ovusoft site for opinions and reviews on all kinds of slings).

It sounds like both Tamal and Sienna are doing great after their dramatic starts. I can relate to the storm of contractions - I just kept wondering what all those birth stories I'd read had been talking about? Ina May's books didn't have any storms in them - where was the break?

My milk is still slowly eeking up the charts. It looks like my anti-nausea cocktail may have screwed up my dopamine levels and now I am paying for it postpartum. I've started taking Reglan as a galactogogue, on top of fenugreek, etc and I'm pumping about 6 hours a day. As soon as the milk issue is settled I will be able to truly enjoy things. I'm so glad that Tamal and Sienna are thriving and that you have enough milk - after your labors and deliveries pumping, etc. after a c-section would be a real nightmare.

I love the name Sienna - it was actually on my short list for a girl before we found out that his-Nico-ness was a him. The artist in you played a hand in that, I'm sure :)

Take care everyone and we'll have to head to the Postpartum board (maybe you have already - but I can only handle one thing at a time!).

arancini

What a great story, if not a bit scary for you during delivery! Glad your little baby is safe and I hope you are making an easier transition to new momhood! Thanks for sharing!:D

About slings, I have the "Over the shoulder baby holder." I love it. Tamal feels so secure in there. I especially love that he can sink down low in it and sleep, so that when I bring him into stores people don't even know there's a baby in there--they think it's a purse. I confess--I'm a germ phobe and I can't bear people I don't know kissing my baby and touching his hands. This particular sling is very comfortable. It came highly recommended by my stepdaughter, a doula in NYC, who teaches slingwearing in childbirth classes. She also recommends the Kangaroo wrap or the Maya wrap. I have the Maya wrap, but I haven't learned it yet. The learning curve on the "over the shoulder baby holder" was high (to me at least). Also the training video is not that great, so it's a good idea to learn from an experienced user. I would highly recommend this sling. Arancini, tell me more about the Ellaroo sling. I had not heard of this one.

Sling wearing rocks. I haven't bought a stroller yet, and I might not.
Manmohini

You know what, Steph, you are right. After 3 days of laboring, I have to admit, the doctor's recommendation for a C-section did sound like a relief! He's a firm supporter of the Bradley method himself, and he reassured me that I gave it my all.
Manmohini

Congrats! You're quite champion being pg for 42+ weeks!!!!!!!

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Manmohini, I'm so jealous that you're out and about!!! ...I've been iced in and feel totally housebound and trapped...definitely not helping my spirits. I'm a big outdoor person but we've had more snow this year already than last year altogether. I planned to do lots of sling walks around the neighborhood but can't get out of our driveway. 4 weeks of this has me feeling ppd, not too cheery...hoping to get out soon. Plus, DH is nervous about the weather and germs with our peanut so I have him talking me out of it, honestly I just want to cry sometimes I feel so trapped. I also miss the endorphins from a brisk walk.

Your sling sounds fab. I have the Moby, its versatile but takes a while to tie and Sienna doesn't dig it so much. I'd like something less complicated that I can plop her into quickly and she could nurse too.

Is the weather cold where you are? wondering if you wear Tamal under your coat? I'd love some tips about getting out with little hassle.

thanks,
Steph

A quick note about my sling - the Ellaroo. It's a simple ring sling, but I like that it has a super long tail so DH can use it, too.

I must say I am not a huge sling fan though. I still feel like I can't DO anything while wearing it. I can't bend over to say, put laundry in the dryer, empty the dishwasher, etc. About all I can do is walk and eat. I think I am going to be much more into the jogging stroller for going out and about ... as for around the house, I just put Nico in his bouncer and I find that more useful (although he sometimes likes the sling, but I like holding him just as well).

Happy Holidays!

I'll try to email you, Steph. Probably not until after the fam leaves on 1/4 ...

arancini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.