Side leg lift ?

Debinmi

Cathlete
What are your thoughts? Why are side-leg lifts while leaning on a stability ball (as in BodyBlast's Push/Pull) or leaning on a step (as in some LIVES) so much harder than doing side-lying leg lifts while lying on the floor (even using leg weights or a band) or even while standing using leg weights or a band? What is it about that angle change that makes it harder? Or is it just me and my anatomy? Have you noticed it? Just curious...

Well, that’s an interesting thought, and I never thought about that. I personally like
them the most standing, with bands or ankle weights or without. My next fav would be
on the floor and lastly on a stability ball. On inner thigh lifts, I only put the other bent
leg behind me instead of crossing over front, if that makes sense. I can’t stand that
other leg crossing over the one that is doing the lift. I believe that’s how it’s done in
TTM.

... On inner thigh lifts, I only put the other bent
leg behind me instead of crossing over front, if that makes sense. I can’t stand that
other leg crossing over the one that is doing the lift. I believe that’s how it’s done in
TTM.

I used to do it crossed-over as that's how Cathe usually does it but she says you can do with leg behind. I've found that as I got older & arthritis has set in, that it's more comfortable with leg behind now.

My sister says she can do side leg lifts with a 12# weight "till the cows come home" but dreads the stability ones with no weight - just something about that angle.

So since you like them standing ... I think they're done that way in LM&R ...you're in luck! :)

I hadn't thought about a difference between the positions but I will say it is easy for me to have bad form when do side lying leg lifts and not really engage the muscles intended. What happens is if my hips aren't stacked then I sink into the floor with weight angled towards the back instead of lifted and truly side lying. Honestly, this is is when the exercise feels too easy for me :D so I say oops I must have bad form!

Here are the form tips that I have to repeat to myself:
--Make sure my hips are truly stacked and my top hip isn't angled behind, in front or below the other. (This is easy to forget as you do reps or switch to the other side)

--Once my hips are stacked force a stretch of that top leg outward as if you're trying to get your toe to touch the wall, (you should feel your muscles engage) then begin the movement.

It's because of the angle. When leaning against the ball/step, your top outer thigh is always engaged. With standing or lying on the floor your outer thigh isn't as engaged at the bottom of the move, i.e. when it is closest to the other leg. Also, when leaning on a ball/step your bottom leg is working harder to stabilise.

I'm sure there's something to do with physics there, too - where your hip joint is the pivot point and depending on where the pivot point is in relation to the lever, it probably makes things more challenging, too - in addition to all the other reasons listed above!

I'm sure there's something to do with physics there, too - where your hip joint is the pivot point and depending on where the pivot point is in relation to the lever, it probably makes things more challenging, too - in addition to all the other reasons listed above!
Physics! The angle, gravity, no rest for the muscle (i.e. more time under tension), the pre- fatigue of the supporting leg, the instability .... there's just something (or somethings!)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.