Shoulder Click Question

adenspilot

First: I know this is not a substitute for going to the doctor. I just moved and have no job or insurance so I'm hoping someone can just answer a quick question.

I have clicking in both of my shoulders when I raise my arms above my head. It doesn't happen all the time and there is no pain. It doesn't matter where my elbows are or how fast I move (tried both of these) although it DOES seem to be worse with light weight vs. heavy weight. No clicks during chest press, pullovers, or kick backs.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Someone suggested that it was from a weak rotator cuff.

Probably just mild tendonitis - it's literally the tendon sliding over the bone. I have that same issue. The only time it became a "problem" was when I did P90X and with all of those bloody pushups it got very irritated. As long as you follow your body and don't overdo anything, you'll be fine. I have the exact same problem with my hips, as well. I've been to ortho docs for both. Doing rotator cuff strenghtening exercises does help - use the band to do the external shoulder rotation exercise (Cathe has them in her DVDs) or the light weighted scarecrows she does in the 100 rep challenge. Both are great for this!

It could be simple tendinitis that is helped with a bit of rest and some ice to help with the swelling of the tendon. It could also be the labrum, which typically hurts with clicking. Did it occur with an injury?

I also have this problem with my right shoulder but the click doesn't happen every time: it only happens when I'm quite fatigued before I even start to do the shoulder exercise. It sometimes hurts but mostly it doesn't. I will try to do that 100 rep scarecrow challenge to see if it helps me: I haven't done any of the 100 rep challenges yet because I don't know how to fit them into a rotation!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.