Sewing question! Someone help me!

Nobuko

Cathlete
I'm hoping someone out there who loves sewing can help me.... Every time I sew some stretchable fabric with all purpose thread, the fabric end up being stretched and the final product looks bad.... What kind of thread am I supposed to use to prevent these kind of fabric from getting stretched as I sew? Or is there anything else I can do to solve this problem? Someone please help!

If you are using a sewing machine you will want to use a ball point needle. You can buy them at any fabric store. Also do not stretch your fabric as you sew. Just line the seam up and don't pull. If you have a stretch stitch on your machine you will want to use it. If you don't, a small zig-zag stitch also works well. As for thread, you could use wooly nylon but I prefer a good quality polyester thread. Gutermann thread is my favorite and Schmetz is my favorite brand of needles. You can buy both at Jo-Ann's.:)

Quiltgirl

I second Quiltgirl's answer. :) While it has been many years since I got my sewing machine out, I was never without the ball point needles. I made lots of polyester outfits at that time. (what an era! LOL) I used polyester thread as well. It gives more (or stretches)with the fabric than all purpose thread.

Happy sewing projects.;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.