September Pregnancy Update

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-99 AT 00:57AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to give you an early September pregnancy update. I have experienced a few changes in the last couple of weeks.

Last week I had my monthly checkup and I gained 6 pounds. They said that this is fairly normal at this point. I feel the baby flutter around constantly, but mostly at night. The only way that I can describe the feeling is as if someone were flicking their fingers along the inner lining of my lower ab region. I have a fair amount of water retention(some days A LOT more then others). My breasts have been especially tender for the last few days with more visible stretch marks along the underside of them. My belly area has gained a permanent little round pooch and when I sit down I look like a Buda statue
happy.gif
. Some days I'm very bloated in which I look like I jumped ahead a few months in the pregnancy. But by the next day I look back to "normal". On the days that I feel very bloated, I find that I have to modify much more in class. Somehow my belly feels like it is pulling downward harder on those bloated days. I seem to still be able to do power moves cautiously and on non-bloated days. I have also decided to do step aerobics on a four inch platform for the remainder of the pregnancy since I am still carrying a full weekly class schedule.

The only true discomforts right now are allergies and congestion. My sinus pockets had actually gotten so inflamed a couple of weeks ago that it had developed into a pretty serious on going tooth, ear, and sinus headache. It has finally started to lighten up in the last few days so I am a much happier camper now.

The latest food craving fix seems to be vegetable pizza and sweetened cereals(Lucky Charms, Captain Crunch, Frosted Flakes.....they're G-R-E-A-T!)

My clothes are getting a little snug now and its getting more difficult to teach in professional looking fitness outfits. Tank tops and boxer shorts seem to be more comfortable and non- binding. I still have some expandable kickboxing pants and shorts that work but the pickins' are getting slim. For street wear, its all varieties of overalls!

My husband and I still haven't picked out a name thats a keeper yet but we are working on it. I guess thats all for now. I'll post again in a couple of weeks
happy.gif

Magically Delicious!

Hi Cathe!
I am sooo happy to hear how well you are doing!!! During my last pregnancy my belly "pulled" a bit also. My solution was a maternity leotard. It gave my "expansion" some unrestrictive support.In addition, when the weather gets cooler you can throw a sweatshirt over it and go.
Yes, Lucky Charms rule! I craved Cocoa Pebbles during my second pregnancy. This last one was peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter. In fact I am still nursing at 12 months and still craving you know what! As much as I consume I am considering purchasing stock in the company!

Wonderful!

Cathe,

Thank you for the update. It sounds like things are going well (in general). I had to laugh when you said you felt the baby "flutter" mostly at night. Sounds like he will be a great companion for midnight updates to the forum as you so often do!

Looking forward to seeing you (and your permanent little Buddha pooch) in October,

Take care,
Judy

Wonderful!

Hi Cathe

Glad to hear that your pregnancy is going so well for you. I'll bet you are absolutley radiant. I understand about the bloating and congestion. Sometimes the congestion would be so bad that I would snore very loud (so says my husband). Several times he had to sleep down on the sofa to get a good nights sleep!

As for maternity workout wear, I wore several cotton/lycra unitards (with no waistline) which carried me through my entire pregnancy. (At the end my waist measured 43 1/2"!) These were just regular workout clothes, not maternity, so I could wear them post-partum too.

Take care of yourself,
Caroline

Ditto on the congestion and snoring

My husband said it made him feel bad to wake me up, because I was always so sweet and apologetic about my snoring. He actually admitted to having a guilt pang or two about all the years he has just grunted at me and rolled over (pulling all the blankets with him.)

He seemed to recover from the guilt pangs when it came time to get up in the middle of the night with the new baby!

Pregnancy and teaching

Hi Cathe!! Sounds like you're doing great! Just wanted to tell you that my sister, who has taught and run an aerobics program at a gym near Rochester NY for over 15 years, taught nearly to the end with her 3 pregnancies (2 boys, 9 1/2 and 6 1/2, and a 5 year old girl). I don't remember what she wore during that time since I live in another state, but during at least 2 of the pregnancies I attended a class of hers and she still gave a great workout!
I gave up aerobics going into my 8th month (but then, I was 39!) but I still swam daily and added walking at the end too. I swam up till the day before my son was born, in fact when we woke up the morning of, I told my hubby I was in labor and his comment was "You're not going to try and go swimming, are you??" HA! It did cross my mind.
Thanks for the update.
Barbara P

Thanks for the update, Cathe

Glad to hear that the sinus thing seems to be getting better--that's the worst!

Feeling the baby move has got to be the best part of pregancy, hands down. Don't you just love it! And when the little one gets even bigger, it's even better--I used to love pulling my shirt up over my belly so I could watch it rock & roll!
happy.gif

Pregnancy and sinus problems

Cathe,

Being an allergist, I can't help myself from responding post since you mentioned sinus/nasal symptoms. Did you have these problems previously?

In pregnancy, nasal congestion is common due to hormonal changes. However, pain is not a typical symptom. I assume that you do not have thick drainage from the nasal area, severe pain or fever. Even in pregnancy treatment of a sinus infection is possible(some antibiotics are safe).

There are certain medications such as nasal saline, nasalcrom, pseudephedrine and chlorpheniramine that are generally safe in pregnancy. I can't say whether they would be benefical for you without knowing your history.

Of course, in general, if symptoms are mild and or intermittent no treatment is necessary. Unnecessary medication in pregnancy is not a great idea.

Sorry for being so nosey (no pun intended....really!) Please let me know if my posts regarding medical topics get out of line. I try to post only when I think I can be of help.

Irene

PS I hope you are not allergic to your dogs!

Allergies

Thanks for inquiring. In all honesty, we(my doctors and myself)still have not found out what all the pain that I had was due to. The actual pain that I suffered was in my left upper and lower jaws, left upper and lower teeth, left ear, and left eye. After x-rays, their strongest guess was that it was due to a pocket of inflammation that was located just above my upper left three back teeth. One morning the pain was UNBEARABLE and it had localized in just one of those three teeth. I couldn't even move my tongue around in my mouth. To make a very long story short, I was sent to my dentist and after the obvious was ruled out(cracked tooth, abscess, missing filling, teeth grinding, and many others)he took some carbon impressions and filed the surface of one of my teeth a little flatter. He did this after finding that one part of that VERY SORE TOOTH was a hair longer than the other parts, causing a much harder impact when I bit down. His feeling was that this sharp impact may be the cause of this localized tooth pain. He also told me I could take pregnancy approved Tylenol sinus(which my obgyn also approved). In about five days the pain did start to dissolve. We're still not exactly sure what this was or if it is truly cleared up but I am just happy that as of now I feel pretty recovered(knock on wood). Unless the pain becomes very severe again, they would rather hold off on extensive testing until the baby is born(and my husband and I agree). Thanks for your concern. BTW, I, too, hope that I am not allergic to my dogs. That would be one life long allergy problem
happy.gif

Toothpain

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had something similar twice in my pregnancy. The first time, my fillings were too hi. The dentist had done three teeth at on time. I was so full of novacain that I did not know that the bite was too high. For about six months, I kept feeling yucky with headaches ( I thought it was tension). When the dentist filed the tooth I was ok. ( I had just found out that I was pregnant and too afraid to take anything.)However, about 5 months later, and 5.5 months pregnant I had the same pain. It turned out that one of the teeth had gone dead from the trauma. As a result, there was a little infection under the tooth which elevated it and threw the bite off again. After the baby came the root canal. All ended well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.