September 2015 Fit Mommas Check-in

KCM's Shape Up gave me a good tabata-style sweat this morning. It's rainy here with fall temperatures. Going to be roasting some root veggies for dinner tonight because it just seems like the right thing to do. ;)

Hope you have had a good one today! XOXO

Lisa

Hi Roz,

Did the partner DVD to Shape Up, called Trim Down. I also added a few extra minutes of dedicated core work. I've been ignoring my core lately, although I feel like it's been getting some work with the heavier UB weight training I've been doing the past few weeks.

Hope you're feeling well. HUGS!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great job on your recent KCM workouts!
Today I decided to feel out the next GSF2 workout, stopping at any pain. It was pretty much all upper body, so no problem (and only one modification).
First I did a TON of barbell strict presses (75# and 70#), a superset of weight plate rows (50#) and resistance band triceps pressdowns, and a superset of of resistance band pull-aparts and leg lowers with 2.5# on each ankle. The core work was supposed to be heavy carries, but walking is a pain, so that was out and I subbed the weighted leg lowers.
Not sure if I'll venture deadlifts on Friday. They haven't caused any pain. I think walking is a real aggravator, and I tend to use walking as my go-to 'not feeling 100%' movement/exercise, so I'm sorry to not be able to take fall walks right now. Hopefully my foot will be better before the foliage really turns...
Thanks for all your support, mama! Hugs to you and the gals!
Today has involved a lot of mama sighs for me... DD is just being tough -- maybe those final eye teeth are rearing their ugly heads?
Roz

Hi Lisa!
Hope you're well today.
No workout today -- in fact, I think I may largely rest this weekend. My foot is feeling a bit better (knock wood), and I just want to give it time to totally heal. (Wouldn't THAT be nice?!) If I have time tomorrow morning, I may try to do a little UB, but that's probably all I'll have time for this weekend. I'll see how my foot feels next week, but I think I'll be conservative next week, too.
Hope you're well -- big hugs!
Roz

Howdy, Roz!

Seems like you're finding a good balance between resting and dabbling with things that cause no pain. Soooo glad you've gotten some relief from the foot pain. Thinking of you and hoping it feels better rapidly. Whatever you end up doing (or not) will be the right thing for those tootsies of yours. I do commiserate with you on how frustrating it is to not be able to take walks. That was the worst part of my most recent injury.

How's your pumpkin today? The teething process is long and brutal, on kiddos and parents alike. Sending momma support and momma hugs.

Did PRS1 today. Just felt like dancing on the step.

Thanks for answering my questions in the other threads. I'm learning a lot from you (and Karen and Justine) about lifting heavy and other ways of strength training. Things I never knew before! :)

XOXO

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great work on PRS1 -- I love that workout! :D
DD seems better, though I think she's still experiencing some toddler angst.
I learn so much from these forums, too! It's fun to have a place to discuss these things, away from the bro-tastic crowd that dominates most online discussions about lifting. ;)
Today I did a short UB workout. I did a tri-set of bench press, chinups, and parallel bar dips, then a tri-set of concentration curls, bent-arm lateral raises, and kickbacks. It was OK -- I felt a little weak, as I was pushing it in terms of doing a fasted workout (I'm fine to do early AM fasted, but a little later in the morning, my strength/energy definitely takes a hit). Oh well, I'm kinda resting this weekend...we'll see if I do anything else.
I was to heal, but I'm also having so much fun with my lifting program and LWF that I'm antsy to get back to it... :confused:
OK! Not sure when I'll have another workout to report, but I don't doubt we'll be in touch. ;)
Oh, also -- which Brooks shoes to you wear? I'm in the market for some new athletic shoes...
xoxo
Roz

Oh dear. Toddler angst. You know who to 'call' when you need to vent or emote in any way/shape/form about toddlerhood. ;)

Today I did KCM's Muscle Up/Lift 2B Fit UB + Core. It was only about 35 mins and I had extra energy, so I added the LIS Step Circuit Bonus. Tomorrow I am thinking I will do Fitness Fusion Live from a few weeks ago.

Hopefully you're at least feeling the "I accomplished a workout!" buzz. HUGS for managing your antsy-ness about getting back to LWF. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :(

After lots and lots of buying and returning from Zappos, I am currently loving the Brooks Ghost 8 running shoe. They feel really good with my custom orthotics and the toe box is wide, which I need. They are for those who tend to underpronate and for medium-to-high arches. My arches have fallen, but these still seem to work. Ultimately, the fact that I wear orthotics makes the built-in arch support a non-issue. Brooks run a 1/2 size small, so order a .5 size bigger than you normally wear if you decide to try them out.

Did I mention that my DH is a huge fan of the fact that I tend to gravitate to the most expensive workout shoes out there? ;) Nah, he's actually super supportive because he knows how grumpy I am when I have foot injuries. He would pay $$$$$$ to never have me injured again. :) No doubt your DH feels the same.

Yes, be in touch. I hope to have extra computer time this weekend. We shall see.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great work on Lift 2B Fit and the LIS bonus (which, I do not forget, is HARD!). I love that KCM workout, too -- really fun!

THANK YOU for your footwear recs. Yes, we agree that quality footwear is well worth the pricetag! I took the quiz on the Brooks website, and I think it recommended one of the Ghost shoes. My podiatrist mentioned Brooks Beast as having extra room in the toe box -- any experience with those? (Sorry to pepper you with questions -- just trying to soak up all your wisdom! ;) )

You know, yesterday's w/o left me decidedly underwhelmed. I was really aching to move and also feeling that the lack of movement wasn't doing my foot any favors. This morning, my foot was really pain free, so I had what I think was a great listening-to-my-body success today. I decided to do the deadlift workout I'd had on deck for several days (but was wary due to general keep-weight-off-your-feet advice, which ultimately I decided was the equivalent of the yoga-and-walking-only-during-pregnancy advice). I extensively utilized biofeedback testing. Conventional deadlifts won out over sumo and Jeffersons, then I tested micro-variations, specifically surrounding stance width. A narrower-than-hip stance tested really well (and felt good!) -- despite not being classically 'perfect' form. The actual loading of my feet didn't cause any problems, so I decided to stick very low reps with very heavy weight rather than bust out a ton of reps/sets at a heavy-but-not-too-heavy weight. I comfortably and safely PR'd my deadlift!!! Yay! One note is that, since I bought a few heavier plates, the bar is sitting up higher when on the ground. This is a 'normal' height, whereas I was essentially pulling from a deficit before. So, while it was a 20-lb PR, I didn't quite add 20 lbs to what I was doing in Phase 1. But anyways, I pulled a heavy single at 265!! That's 15 lbs from double bodyweight. ;) Now if I can just lose 7.5 lbs... KIDDING!
Anyways, I pulled some lighter triples, worked up to several heavy singles, then backed off and did more triples (i.e., sets of three). Not a huge volume, which I think was smart.
Next was pullups, then a superset of Kroc rows (explosive 1-arm rows) and standing resistance band crunches.
I RESISTED doing the barbell complex that was recent posted on the GGS website because I didn't want to push my luck... though I was so temped. Somehow, this felt like NOT eating the whole chocolate bar (which has never been my strong suit).
I opted to spend that time doing some yoga and more rolling -- definitely a good choice. I did some very careful planking/chaturanga because I feel like I do need to stretch that area. Hopefully that was OK. I think it was good.

Anyways, I've only gone on at length here because today's workout felt like a victory in the listening-to-my-body department.
THANK YOU for your message! I hope I'll have some email time this weekend...
Have fun today -- so jealous about Fitness Fusion -- when I read about that one I almost re-subscribed to Cathe Live. ;)
x's + o's
Roz

Roz, all I can say is perfect workout today! Success! I love your analogy of staying off your feet = only yoga and walking during pregnancy. Obviously you aren't going to want to pound out a marathon run right now, but clearly there are certain forms of movement that cause ZERO distress. That's what I personally focus on when injured, which I guess really is biofeedback testing (at least in a sense). I guess my only complaint is that you fudged it on the 20lb PR. Let's be honest and call it what it is--an 18lb PR. ;) You rocked it!

LOL because I watched that GGS video last night and totally thought of you. :) It will be there when you are ready for it.

Just gonna say it--Fitness Fusion Live would make your workout dreams come true. I got to use my boxing gloves, do some fun HiiT, and then a gazillion pulsing lunge variations. The only thing you wouldn't like would be the floor core at the end, but by that point you've already gotten 44 minutes of SWEAT! This will be a go-to.

Guess that's it for me today. You take care and I'll catch you on Monday!!!

Squishes!

Lisa

Roz,

Popping in because I realized I forgot to answer your Brooks question. I was intrigued and confused by the Brooks Beast recommendation because I've never heard of them and believe me I've tried on (or at least researched) every pair of Brooks in existence. I Googled it and it looks like the Beast are a men's shoe. Suppose that's why I hadn't heard of them! ;)

Lisa

Hi Lisa!
Thanks for the shoe insight. No wonder I couldn't find them either, duh indeed! :)

I approached squats cautiously today with lots of biofeedback testing. I did front squats 3x4 at 115#. Kept the volume lowish, as with deadlifts. Even lateral lunges weren't testing well, so I subbed Cossack squats (imagine the quintessential Russian squat dance with one leg extended), but just moved from right to left and back without coming up to stand (as I usually do) to eliminate impact. These tested well and felt great. I supersetted them with leg raises on the power tower (RKC planks and pullthroughs were too much on the foot). I finished with a few sets of hips-elevated hamstring curls on sliding discs. Killer!
I added a finisher -- Delt Domination again -- my PUB of LWF2! ;) Can't get enough. A 'PR' for me -- 4 rounds in 15 mins using 15# DBs (all pushups on knees due to foot issues). When you decide to foray into LWF2, may we suggest this one? ;) I think you'd love it.

Oh, yesterday was yoga, felt great on the foot.

I'll take tomorrow off (I think), so I may not be back till Wednesday. TDB.
x's + o's!
Roz

Cool, Roz! Great workout today. I'm just imagining the Lechaim/bottle dance scene from Fiddler on the Roof. Sounds tough! Great workout, once again, and perfect way to listen to that body. Everybody needs a PUB true love in his/her life, and I'm so glad Delt Domination is your UB soulmate. :) Duly noted that it's a goodie.

I decided to make it a GS week, so started off with GS CT. Holy moly, I didn't realize that I was still sore from Friday's KCM Lift 2 B Fit workout but, yeah, I was. This really complicated those drop set push-ups, let me tell you! Got 'er done anyway. Probably not my best but they can't all be workouts for the record books.

Enjoy your rest day or impromptu workout tomorrow or whatever you end up doing! I hope you're feeling well, that your foot heals lickety-split, and that you're getting some lovely Fall-ish weather.

HUGS!

Lisa

Circuit Max for me today. I'd never realized it before, but this workout is a lot like Cathe Live metabolic routines. Very fun!

Have a great, healthy day. XOXO!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great job on GS CT and Circuit Max! I've never done the latter, but will definitely put it on my to-do list!

Thanks SO MUCH for your happy foot wishes. They're certainly doing the trick because I'm feeling MUCH better. Today I did GSF2: one-arm DB push presses, superset of of suspension trainer inverted rows and face pulls, and superset of DB Russian twists (subbed for heavy carries, still skipping those) and band pull-aparts.
For a finisher (though it kinda felt like the main workout today), I did The Primal Countdown from LWF2. Holy moly, that one's mean! I used a 75-lb BB and subbed rollouts for bear crawls. Lots of squatting (back squats and thrusters), which all felt great.
I'm thinking about going for a short walk, but don't know if I'm pushing my luck. I NEED TO WALK OUTSIDE! :eek:
Yes, I'm going on a Fiddler kick with Cossack squats on Monday and Russian twists today. I'll go do some sun salutations while serenading my daughter with 'Sunrise, Sunset' and meditating on the fleeting nature of childhood!
Have a wonderful Wednesday,
Roz

Yes, I'm going on a Fiddler kick with Cossack squats on Monday and Russian twists today. I'll go do some sun salutations while serenading my daughter with 'Sunrise, Sunset' and meditating on the fleeting nature of childhood!
---This just made me smile. :)

I know, having to go without walks is the worst. I feel your pain. Did you end up testing the waters or just waiting? Nice workout today. Soooo glad that foot is improving. Are you going to try any new shoes out?

Got a fussy girl on my lap, so short and sweet for me. I did last week's Trisets Legs Live. It was great and you would want to punch Cathe b/c it was very Meso 2 minus the much needed 1 min break between trisets. :eek: I kinda really loved it!!!!!!!

Hugs!

Lisa

Hi, Lisa!
Great workouts!! I love GS BSB.

Today was GSF2. I did a LOT of deadlifts (mostly triples at 215#). Then chinups in the 3-5 rep range and a superset of Kroc rows and straight legged situps. I was going to do some LWF2 for a finisher, but I was just so spent -- I did a little playing with a DB, a few goblet squats, but nothing much. Perhaps tomorrow. :)

TGIF!
Yes, I walked yesterday! Only ~30 mins, but it was great. I also did a bit of LWF stuff yesterday included resistance banded bodyweight squats, skater squats, etc.

I'm getting some 'help' typing right now, so must run, but I'll 'see' ya soon!
I might get my annual pumpkin ice cream cone today...[cue music]...tradi-TIOOOOONNNN! tradition!
xoxo
Roz

Just busting in to say "hi." Are the babies behaving themselves? Are you Momma's getting your sleep? Just checking, I'm a busybody that way. I know Roz is kicking booty, I'm sure you're busting butt as well, Lisa. Take care.

Just busting in to say "hi." Are the babies behaving themselves? Are you Momma's getting your sleep? Just checking, I'm a busybody that way. I know Roz is kicking booty, I'm sure you're busting butt as well, Lisa. Take care.

Karen, you bust on in anytime. You're always always welcome here! As you will notice, I just took it upon myself to bust in on the awesome Nia thread. So yeah, it's only fair that you spy on us!

How did you know my sleep has been awful this week? My almost 5-month-old decided she no longer wants to be encumbered by any baby sleeping contraptions at night so she's been exploring her new freedom of only being in a sleeper onesie at night. The pattern goes like this: roll your head into the side crib rails, cry for a bit, fall back to sleep, or (just to keep things fun) get your arm stuck between the rails, scare yourself awake and cry for a bit until you pull your arm out, then fall back to sleep. At least she's falling back to sleep by herself but she wakes me up every time and, of course, I want to check on her. Please tell me there will come a day when I will sleep again...:)

At least I'm still working out. I've got all these new programs I want to try but am still feeling like my brain needs me to stick with Cathe and Cathe Live while I'm dealing with Momma foggy brain.

I'm loving watching your workouts and am also trying to figure out how you can keep your eating window from 10am to 3pm. I love the idea of IF and maybe I will try it out when I'm no longer acting as a milk cow. ;) But hey, whatever, it's working for you so you go for it!

Major HUGS!

Lisa

P.S. You reminded me I owe you some pics... I'll get on that.

ETA: Oh yeah, I did workout today! KCM Step Boxing with my pink Everlast gloves, just because I wanted to.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, Momma Lisa, I hear ya. I had one baby that found sleep to be so unnessary. I thought I was never going to sleep again. It just wears on mind and body. I feel for ya. If I was close enough, I would offer to baby sit. So you could just get away for awhile. Hang in there. They grow up too fast.
Hugs to you!! By the way, Ilove my pink Everlast gloves. I feel so professional when I wear them.
Love the pics. What a great family!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.