Self Tanning Guide

chachi

Cathlete
I've been using Famous Dave's for a few weeks now like some of you and I must agree that there is a learning curve when it comes to getting it to look just right. There's an article in Allure this month about the best way to apply it.

1. Shave and exfoliate (use a course not oily scrub).
2. After drying off apply regular moisturizer onto the knees, heels and elbows to keep them from turning too dark.
3. Smooth on ST in short upward strokes starting from ankles and work your way up to your shoulders. (using gloves is optional)
4. Buff your entire body with your palm in a circular motion. Hyperextend fingers so they don't touch your skin.
5. Leave the tops of your feet and back of your hands for last using the leftover residue on your palms. Also says that you can dilute your ST using two parts tanner to one part moisturizer.
6.The following day, moisturize your entire body and repeat every day after to maintain your tan. After 5-7 days exfoliate and reapply self-tanner.

I don't use gloves so after I'm done I scrub my hands with an exfoliating loofah. Another thing I noticed, the day after my first application I was looking kind've orange (especially my palms), couldn't figure out why so I looked at the ingredients in my regular lotion (Nivea) and noticed that there is mineral oil and stearic acid in it. Since I remember on his website that those two ingredients are the reason why other tanners turn you orange I stopped using it. I searched the shelves for a lotion without these ingredients and the only one I could find was Aveeno. I normally moisturize twice a day and since I've been using Aveeno I haven't noticed any orange.

One more thing the article stated was that if you have some spots that are too dark to just rub a halved lemon over the area.

Whew...sorry for the long post. Just hoping to help some of you out

Have a great weekend! :)

Chastity

http://www.picturetrail.com:80/chastgirl0205

Thank you so much, Chastity! I just received my order and a little nervous about using it. I plan on following these steps!!

Thanks Again :) :)

Thanks for the tip on the Aveeno moisturizer. I use Fake and Bake self tanner. Just read on their web site that you can moisturize prior to application. Suggested using oil free lotion. I was going to google for oil free lotion. I know though that oil free face creams are probably what results I will get back.

I tried Dave's tanner and felt I was orange. Fake and Bake is the most natural and no smell. Also love the Neutrogena color boosting sunblock w/spf 30 and helioplex. I'm fair and I use the medium. Benefit of a daily moisturizer with spf.

Christie ATL

Chastity - Thank you for posting that. I never get tired of seeing ST tips. I am so glad you mentioned that about the Nivea lotion. The latest Oprah Mag has self tanner tips. The article suggested a light lotion like Nivea Smooth Sensation, so that is what I bought. I am an Aveeno fan anyway, so I will use that instead like you suggested. Thanks Again!
Natalie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.