Self Tanners

ksandvoss

Cathlete
Can anyone suggest a good self tanner that won't streak, looks natuaral, and won't come off on my clothes? Also, it would be great if it has a SPF of 15.

I like Coppertone's Endless Summer and a similar one by Bain de Soliel. They're just under $10 at Target. I've never had a problem with them. If you're light skinned, start with the med/dark since the dark can look unnatural until you learn to put on the right amount. It's tinted just a bit to help, dries fast, and the color appears in about 30 mins. I've used tanners for years though, so you may need practice.

I've also heard good things about a tanner by Clarins.

Forgive me if this is a silly question. Do these products actually "stain" your skin or do they wash off with every shower/bath that you take? How time consuming are they? I would love to give them a try unless they are extremely time consuming. Just curious how they work.
Lisa

Go back to April 26 on this forum. There is quite a diverse discussion on self tanning. Lots of recommendations. Check it out.

Self tanners contain a chemical that reacts with the melanin in your skin much like the sun does. Some self tanners have a "stain" in them that allows you to see where the product has gone on thereby reducing streakiness and missed areas. The stain will wash off with the next shower and you will be left with the tan that the chemical generated. A self tanner tan usually lasts a few days and will naturally slough off as your skin naturally sloughs itself. The problem is that it does not come off evenly so unless you keep applying the tanner every few days, you can end up with blotchiness.

Self tanners do usually last a few days. They last less if you shave your legs or exfoliate.

Word of warning: I took a bath once and used bath oils. When I scratched my skin, the tanner would just slide off because of the oil. So don't use any oily products!

BTW, self tanners don't provide any protection from the sun. They just look nice. :) My personal fave is the Banana Boat Medium soft blend. It looks very natural. My mom's fave is the Neutrogena tanning foam.

Hope you don't mind me putting in my .02 cents.

Last year, being my usual pale self and wanting to show off the muscles I'd managed to accumulate doing Cathe's weight programs, I tried a few "self-tanners" and found them to be not worth the effort, or the money.

This year, I will probably use the self-tanners for a special occasion or two in the summer -- one that does not include swimming.

Here are the problems I have with self-tanners, some of which other posters have mentioned.

#1: If you live alone; it's pretty well impossible to apply the product to your back. That translates into brown front, snow-white back. I've even tried the kitchen sponges with long handles attached -- but it comes out blotchy and uneven. (with square sponge marks -- gag!)

#2: Personally, I don't like the feel of the self-tanning lotion (or any other lotion, for that matter) on my body when the weather is hot and humid. I find it very uncomfortable, sticky and downright yucky. (It's like wearing a thin layer of honey on your body -- which is fine if you're a Queen Bee).

#3: The lotion comes off when I'm sweatin' to Cathe and I always have blotchy marks (they look like small freckles) on the chest area, my underarms and between my thighs (ya, I know, time to do more plier squats!).

#4: Step into a chlorinated pool, or the ocean, and you can kiss your brown skin good-bye. You go in looking like the Girl from Ipanema, and come out looking like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

#5: It comes off in the bath and leaves a bathtub ring like you wouldn't believe. Oh, and it does leave a brown smudge on your bedsheets.

#6: It takes up precious time to apply evenly. If your life is already busy, like most of us, you don't have enough minutes in the day to sit around naked waiting for the paint to dry (although your significant other might not mind!).

#7: If you don't keep your "tanned: skin moisturized or don't re-apply the self tanner on a regular basis, your skin starts to look "scaly" -- like an alligator bag.

#8: If you have skin imperfections such as bruises on the body or age spots on the face, the tanner accentuates them.

Anyways, not to dissuade you, but those are some of the pitfalls of self-tanners. As I said, I might use the product once or twice during the summer for a social event, but I doubt I'll have the patience for doing it for the entire summer.

Again, just my .02 cents!

Patricia

Got to sunless.com where you can find loads of advice on sunless tanning. I like Banana Boat Mousse in medium. It is hard to find though. My friend love Estee Lauder Go Bronze.
Good luck and HTH!

Question for Carolyn...

I have been looking all over for Banana Boat Mousse!! Where do you find it?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.